85 tahiti blue (flur continued)

Started by 94touring, April 03, 2013, 07:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on May 10, 2013, 03:10:28 PMThen I go on vacation for a week.

Hopefully you don't fly or work on cars while on vacation. 4.gif

94touring

Technically yes.  Sometimes I pick up trips for time and a half and in this case have 3 weeks off and plan on putting myself to use.  While I get a lot of time off, I just end up working regardless.  Its also nice that one sick call nets me 7 days off...not that I would ever call in sick to work in my shop ;)

Davisio

RL?

There is no RL.

Just interwebs and Mini's. Duh!

:D ;D :( :o 4.gif ::) :-[ 8.gif 9.gif 71.gif 11.gif 11.gif 17.gif 19.gif :-X 20.gif 22.gif 50.gif 50.gif

94touring

Is RL relaxation?    Very little of that!

Davisio

lol

RL = Real Life

4.gif

Live for the internet. Be the internet.

94touring

Subby off.  Broke half the bolts in the process  :-[

Tore off more up front and a test fitment of the one panel I have.  Just kinda waiting for the big order to clear customs.  Ship arrives this Friday now.  Still doing paperwork for the broker.  Its a never ending headache  :(  Tomorrow I may tear of the boot area that needs replacing and then we play the waiting game...

Mudhen

Quote from: Davisio on May 15, 2013, 02:29:48 AM
Awesome!

Awesome?

The panels 94 has been waiting on aren't FOR your car, they're FROM your car!  This place is a chop shop!

Sucka!

Is it just me or is there not a lot left to the little girl?   :-\

Davisio

"Awesome" that the "end of the month" came early for working on it. :P

Mudhen

Quote from: Davisio on May 15, 2013, 02:43:35 AM
"Awesome" that the "end of the month" came early for working on it. :P

22.gif

If I had that filly in philly your car would spend an eternity in the corner of the shop!  I thought 94 was some old guy...who knew?  8.gif

94touring

End of the month officially starts the 27th for me.  This week is my normal 3 day pit stop with two days in the shop.  It will be good timing with the panels arriving this weekend or Monday for when I come back to start fitting and welding them on.  I have some patchwork on either corner of the bulkhead scuttle area for the windscreen panels to weld against and door closing panels to fix up, then the front end should be back on.  May replace the one inner wing that's a little narled up too.    Once I get that stuff on I'll put it on the rotissier and work on boot and cills.  Then she's ready for paint prep. 

94touring

Trimming off more metal for the door jam/kick panel replacments and removing the few items left after I have been soaking bolts for weeks. More than half still broke off...kind of a waste of time, but I tried.

Boot area removed.  The subby attach points in the boot will need some fab/patch work as there is some partial rot where it bolts up against.  And one captive nut will probably need to be drilled out since I don't think the broken bolt will be able to be removed without a fight.  Otherwise the subby attach panel is in great shape.  All major rust has been removed, just a matter of sand blasting, wire wheel, and grinding to remove the last bits as I replace all the metal I've removed.

Till next time..

Davisio

Woohoo.... One week until the end of the month! ;)

71.gif

94touring

Yeah I've been imagining the plan of attack this entire time.

Davisio

Ya well..... everytime you post an update, I start to freak out about building my shed and clearing the third bay of the garage. So, I pay attention. It like gives me a deadline or something.

94touring

Yeah you better clear a slot.  I've only just begun and have a mountain of work to do on it, but will be done before you know it.

Davisio

ya well.... it's starting to look like I'm going to hire out the shed building...... at least, maybe I'll employ some unemployed college students..... June is filling up quick and I'm gone most of July....

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on May 15, 2013, 03:56:43 PM

I have this issue to a lesser degree...what's the plan for the shock mount?

I was thinking I'd be plating mine anyway - and put nuts on the backside of the ones that go all the way through.  But what about the captive ones?

94touring

The side you show is all rotten obviously, and all the bolt snapped off.  So cutting that area out and fabbing new.  Drilling out the bolts and welding on new captive nuts as needed.   The other side was perfectly fine.

94touring

Ok lets get this party started  4.gif

Cut out the rotten inner wing and fabbed up the inner skin of metal that goes behind it where the shock tower mounts.

Then with the inner wing. 

Next up door inner panel area.

All nice and welded on.  Still gotta grind down my welds, but fit like a gem.

OK, SO.  The moment of truth, test fitment of a complete front end using ALL knockoff panels.  Like a glove.

I still have a lot of little patch work here and there on the bulkhead and have the right side door inner panel area to work on. 

I will be puttin together a nice pictorial and write up of how to put together a front end so that things line up properly.  This was really not that hard at all.  Mainly I think because the scuttle is somewhat floatable and makes squeezing the wings on a little easier where they meet up with the scuttle corner.  Everything fits wonderfully. 

New favorite tool!

Mudhen

That front end is gorgeous.

No comment on that tool.  I still need to hack a section out of my spare tire well because of the nasty underside of the flange.

Isn't the hole it makes a lot bigger than the hole you used to drill for spot welds???

94touring

Guess I didn't catch watch size the holes are but I punched a bunch to get ready for spot weld extravaganza and seems like a perfect size to me.  Maybe a hair bigger than I normaly would drill, but sure does make them lickity split with zero effort. 

94touring

Surprised Daviso hasn't responded yet.  8.gif

Todays patch work and panel work.

Davisio

Oh. I'm here. Just still recovering from Memorial Day weekend in Indy and thinking that I REALLY NEED TO GET TO WORK ON THAT SHED!

You've done quite a bit in the last couple of days....

94touring

More of the same today.  Got most the welds done on the front end.  Will get the rest once its on the rotissier and I don't have to lay on my back.  She's rather solid, things fit nice and snug.

New closing plates both sides.

Turns out the right side shock mount was in fact half rotten.  Busted right through it when I touched it.

Fabbed, double skinned, ground down, and primered to keep the surface rust off for now.

Ready for welding.

Onto the otherside, more of the same.

Front end welded up, hood clearances checked continually throughout the process.  I will have a much more detailed writeup in the DIY on tips and tricks to do front panels.