85 tahiti blue (flur continued)

Started by 94touring, April 03, 2013, 07:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davisio

Proving that I've actually taken it outside the garage......

Mudhen

Jims5543

Great looking car!!  I bet it gets a lot of attention.

Enjoy it!!! 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Davisio

Been driving it!

Yep.

And, to prove it, I blew the fan belt last night. Took the girlfriend out for dinner. Fortunately, it was on the way home that the fan belt started to squeal and gave out about a mile out. Only damage was the loss of a little coolant out the overflow (recommendations on coolant type/brand?) It's in the garage now.

And, because I also lost the belt (probably to the gods) and I am too lazy to find a piece of string to measure...... Any clue how long the belt is?  77.gif

I plan to run it out to a parade on Friday (4th) so I'm kind of rushing to get it ready. Any help/advise/condolences would be appreciated.

Otherwise, love the car! Been driving it whenever I can. Just watching the brakes (they still drag up front), but, since I adjusted them some more, stopping isn't an issue. I'll have the entire brake system rebuilt in the fall when I can bring myself to be without it.

Mudhen

Had to look back at the pics again...such a great looking car   4.gif

The serpentine belt broke and the tensioner didn't take out the crank pulley?  Ahhh...maybe life was a little better when it was simpler!

You can probably just go down to your local foreign parts store and they'll look up the belt for you...

94touring

I think I just got a shipment with a spare belt in it but I won't be back home till the 3rd.  Can't for the life of me figure out why the front brakes drag.  Did you shim the master by any chance?  If you haven't that may do the trick, otherwise you have all new brake components.

Davisio

Not too worried about finding a belt. Should be pretty easy to come by. Just not sure which one. Also would like to top off the coolant. It didn't over heat until I pulled in the driveway, so there shouldn't be any permanent damage.

I haven't really dove in to looking at the "why it broke" yet. Just ticks me off since I'm under a time limit.

As for the brakes, they've been adjusted. But, there's still something not quite right. The fronts just don't want to release completely and the rears grab really hard in panic stops (lock up). I'll mess with them later. I found a mechanic that actually loves working on the thing, so he'll see it in the fall. I'm not really driving it often enough to justify fixing them immediately. Just want to get the car back on the road to use it in a display this Friday.

94touring

One of the few minis that stops too good  :-[

Davisio

Does 9 x 790 sound right?

And, any recommendations on coolant? I notice that the stuff in there is "red".

94touring

Not sure about 9 x 790.  Also I don't recall putting in red coolant, it may be residual dirt that's worked it's color into the coolant.  Just good ole 50/50 green stuff works just fine. 

Davisio

Right on.

I've got the green stuff on the shelf.

I found the broken belt stuffed up behind the motor. That's the measurement I came up with. Silly mm's.

94touring

It really had a lot of dirt packed in.  I flushed the hell out of all the components.   Biggest headache is going to be undoing the lower rad hose and getting it back on for this belt job.  It's agony.   

For shits and grins loosen your master bolts and slide something under it and re tighten to see if that does anything for your sticky brakes. 

Davisio

Got the car in and out of the mechanic today.

838mm was the length used.

w00t! Back on the road!

Davisio

Heh. Wouldn't ya know it....

Get it back on the road.... am out drivin the piss out of it..... and.... broke a motor mount.  50.gif

Still drivin it though. I'll take it next Monday, or something. Just have to take it "easy" till then.

Crazy thing is, I think it drives better!.... heh

94touring

You broke one of these?  Do you have a pic? 

94touring

I don't suppose your mechanic accidently jacked it up by the bottom of the motor did he?  Those things should be hard to split.   8.gif

Davisio

Top of the motor.

Motor mount may be the wrong term.

The arm that sticks out of the firewall and holds the motor from "rolling". Sheered the bolt.

And, no, I did it. I jammed it in to reverse without using the clutch.  :-[

EDIT: Proper term is "Engine Steady Arm - Upper". Lol.

Davisio

Been driving the car.... sometimes.
Gots a new baby. That's taking time. Heh.

Anyways..... starting to work on the "driveability" items. The thing is popping out of second gear on clutch engage/disengage. This is most annoying when going around corners like say...at stop lights. Other things I'm working on are the gas guage being completely wrong. That's just annoying!

Bigger projects..... bonnet fitment! Thinking about replacing the hood hinges with the hi-rise ones that allow for greater access. Hopefully they may offer the opportunity to move the bonnet back about 1/4in. Worth a shot anyways.

Then.... thinking about tires.... It was a mistake to get the 12". Too difficult to get replacements. Sure, I can find them. But selection is limited. Not sure what I'm going to do there. We'll just have to see what's left in the budget for the year....

(and Cheers! on being Boison/Robster FREE!)

94touring

A baby?  Like a small human?   

My mini just started doing the 2nd gear pop out in turns to the right.  Haven't bothered looking into what to do to remedy it yet. 

Bonnet fitment.  Two things.  Drill out the hinge points to allow it to slide back or bend each corner in by applying firm pressure.  Did both recently on the maroon car and was pleased with the results.

Can't remember but did we put a new gas sensor in the tank? 

MiniDave

Davisio, did you fix the engine steady that broke yet - that can cause it to pop out of gear.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Davisio

Ya.... baby [human]

And.... yeah.... fixed the engine steady. I think it still rolls.... that's part of the investigation.

Since I've been researching the bonnet hinges (don't kill me, but saying bonnet hurts a little) and since I know I want better access, I'm probably going to go that route. This really came about when I was drilling out the stripped bolt from the engine block for the engine steady....

Thinking about going drivin tomorrow..... if I don't hit the fridge first. Cheers!

94touring

How's about a lower engine stabilizer from gearbox to subframe?  I did some reading and typically the 2nd gear pop out is due to a worn fork and/or synchro, especially if it's grinding on downshift. 

Congrats on the miniature human. 

Mudhen

Good to see you're still around Davisio and still getting that gorgeous car out some!

Another new baby here?

Congrats!

Better watch it, Dan.  Don't drink the kool-aid!  (or maybe we all should be checking Dan's flight logs to see where he's been in the last 9-months...)

94touring