Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Just about have the color sanding/buff job done.  A little more polish and final glaze and I can throw the subbies on and fit some flares for decision making.  Probably can't tell any difference between this pic and the others, but I'm still posting it!   

MtyMous

Well the paint job is so freaking awesome that it's hard to tell, but I can definitely see some refinement in the reflection. It's pretty freaking great looking. I can't wait to see it in person. Looking like things will work out for the 9th-11th.

94touring

My back is sore from running the variable speed buffer all day.  Just a few panels to go.

MtyMous

I know that pain. Fortunately it's about the smallest car you could ever buff. Haha.

What buffer/compound are you using?

94touring

I use a variable speed from Harbor Freight.  It's been going strong for a number of years now.  Take 9 inch pads.  I start with extra cut, heavy cut, polish, glaze, and then go over it again with a hand glaze as I clean up all the residue from the knooks and crannies. 

Ok here we are...

I used two different wheels to experiment with these flares.  I guess depending on the offset of the wheels you use will determine if these flares will work.  Your wheels that came with the car stick out about an inch or less.  The other wheels sit inside the flares an easy inch.  Also, I pulled out my wood and picket arches and compared to these raves.  There is zero different.  I took a number of measurements and there is no difference.  Or perhaps I was sent the wrong flares?  They measure 2.5 inches wide. 

94touring

Went over the roof again and got out a few swirls. 

MtyMous

Freakin awesome. That's the best paint job I've seen on a mini. And I'm not just saying that because it's mine. haha.

And I'm sold on the Raves. Lets get some paint on those bad boys. I'll have a new set shipped directly to your address.

94touring

Silver or black?  I'll paint them tomorrow and get your front subby on.   

94touring

It's waiting patiently outside for you.  And the flares are ready to go on when they harden up and I get back in town.

sparetimetoys

That's going to be one nice ride
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

MtyMous

Thanks. I know I'm going to be so anal about driving it/parking it, etc.

94touring

Fender flares are officially on.  So I have a hilarious story about the door in this picture.  I noticed without the rubber seal in and door latch it rubs on the one lower corner.   I figured while I was messing with the flares I'd reach in, loosen the door,  tweak it slightly, and be on my way.  So I did that.   Awhile later I opened the door and heard a crunch.  Apparently I moved it enough that it now rubbed into the a panel.   Not just a minor scrape, oh no, it pealed the paint off.  So I spent the rest of yesterday repainting the damn thing!   Refitted, no chance of paint peeling, and ready for pickup.   :-[

MtyMous

Can't wait to pick this little lady up tomorrow.

94touring

I'll be here.  I have to track down a ups shipment first thing in the morning, do you have a time frame in mind?

MtyMous

I was looking at leaving around noon from OKC. That will put me around 2. Not sure how you want to unload the little beast I am bringing up with me. We'll figure something out I'm sure. Are the subframes bolted in well enough on Tink for me to use them to strap the car to the trailer back down to OKC?

94touring

That's perfect.   Yes sub frames are secure.

MtyMous

I'll be rolling in closer to 3:00. Hit some traffic in Oklahoma City.

sparetimetoys

Quote from: MtyMous on July 10, 2014, 09:29:20 PM
I was looking at leaving around noon from OKC. That will put me around 2. Not sure how you want to unload the little beast I am bringing up with me. We'll figure something out I'm sure. Are the subframes bolted in well enough on Tink for me to use them to strap the car to the trailer back down to OKC?

I hope the red stick doesn't put up a fuss about going off the trailer like it did going on. I just went back to work today. Nothing broken they think it was just a pinched nerve in my back.

MtyMous

A couple good shoves and that was al it took. Went straight onto a dolly and then over to the waiting room.

In other news:

Terrible pics. I'll have more detailed pictures tomorrow.

94touring

Glad it made it back safely.   

pbraun

Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

sparetimetoys

One year I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours.

Chase

Cant wait to see more progress. I love it man. When I get back from Maine, Ill start a thread on my build. I am stocking up on parts currently. Miss you bud. Keep it up 4.gif

Mudhen

Quote from: Chase on July 12, 2014, 09:18:22 AM
Cant wait to see more progress. I love it man. When I get back from Maine, Ill start a thread on my build. I am stocking up on parts currently. Miss you bud. Keep it up 4.gif

Being in Maine is what I blame my lack of progress on as well.   ;D

MtyMous

Hey, Dan. That brake valve wasn't in the box 'o' stuff. Any way you can ship it as slow and cheap as possible? I'm in no rush. Just don't want to forget it.