Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

Dan, That's looking awesome. I'm pretty pumped about this. The paint looks great. I'm really liking the color. The whole thing is looking fantastic and I'm pretty sure my refresh button is getting worn out from checking for updates. haha

94touring

Sprayed the seam covers, another shot on the doors for another sanding, and prepped small parts.

94touring

Backs of the doors done and ready to be mounted.  Tomorrow I may have enough time to actually paint the car if I get them on and masked within a reasonable amount of time. 

94touring

Off to a slow start today.  But got new filters on my paint booth, redid a zipper door, hung and masked off doors, and finally got around to putting some color on the body.  I was all about ready to clear the thing, but I had a small spot I needed to sand up and reshoot.  As luck would have it I ran out of basemaker for the paint.  And I'm literally just barely going to have enough left over to shoot the boot hinges and the other small pieces!  So tomorrow I will hit up the paint store and knock it out.

MtyMous

And yet you still make the car look fantastic in flat no less. Looks really great, Dan. I'm so excited to see this thing in color. Almost a year in the making. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing home and starting on the motor, etc. I'll be calling the guy that Dean recommended about the engine work to get an idea where I need to start on the motor.

sparetimetoys

Who are you getting with on the engine. I've been chatting with Steve Gibbs contact is Jlgibbsrealtor@aol.com he has been doing these engines since the late 60s.  Another smart engine guy is Jemal at tech support over at mini mania. I asked a simple question and we got into conversations about head pocket cc volume and how much you can deck a 850 block as well as port design. Just they are on opposit coasts and a long way from DFW.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

MtyMous

Same guy that Dean has used here in the Oklahoma City area.

sparetimetoys

If you would please PM me his contact info OKC is a heck of a lot closer than the east coast.

94touring

Mudhen

94touring

Alrighty it looks like a million bucks.  However this one F'n door is kicking my arse.  Initially I had an issue with a microscopic spot that crinkled on me, which turned into a big fiasco.  Now I have a wavey spot that I'm not happy with, so it gets blocked and sprayed again.  It's minor enough you really have to be looking at just the right angle, but driving me crazy.  Won't take much.  I head back to my day job tomorrow so next week as I prepare to color sand, I will take care of the door.  I'm running on fumes with the paint too! 

sparetimetoys

94touring

And still needs a buff job  4.gif

MtyMous

That looks freaking amazing. Better than I had pictured it in my head. I seriously can't wait to see this thing... in my garage. haha.

Can't wait to see it after buffing. I can't imagine it looking any better than this. Now I need a bib for all this drool.

94touring

As much sanding as I've done, if it looked less than amazing I was going to be pissed. 

MtyMous

Well I assure you I appreciate the effort

94touring

What are you doing for flares?  Do you need those painted?

MtyMous

I haven't decided yet on the flares. I want to get my new wheels on and mounted then decide on flares. So I wont have anything for you to paint. I'm still trying to decide, when I do get them,  if I want them to be body color or roof color. Either way, I may be asking you about that in the future.

94touring

Yeah that's my next question, cause if you want silver I'll go get a pint of extra paint.  How wide are the wheels?   I have a set of wood and pickets I could test mount, as well as raves (minutely wider),  with the wheels you provided as reference.   Both sets are clean to the body and drill into the lip instead of the body.

MtyMous

They are 10x7, but I haven't decided on backspacing yet. I'm going with option 2 and getting the Force Racing 3-piece set.

94touring

I'm doing 12x7 with raves as a reference.

MtyMous

Before (kind of... it's the back side)

And after

94touring

What did you use to strip it?

jedduh01

Quote from: MtyMous on June 20, 2014, 06:03:35 PM
Before (kind of... it's the back side)

And after

1 YEar and just now starting on the engine!  Spread things out thats coool!!!

Personally i saw on MM you mention the engine is going to a Machine shop/ local engine guy -- they will strip it and prep it. no reason for you to spend any time on that stripping.  Give them everything. It should come back from them spotless.

On here in "modifications" SomethingNEW-  were doing his motor right now - Looking for a few more HP. Took 3 weeks Engine / Head came back spotless / New oil galley plugs- new freeze plugs- ready for his paintjob. (blue) Block. - ported skimmed and polished head. - new cam bearings fitted - polished crank ( no cut needed) Very satisifed with job. Honed Cyls  - Refurbe'd pistons and rods
  Turns out our local machinist that i knew randomly works closely with the MG Club locally and says hes done probably over 300 A and B series Engines!  He had no frets over our little mini engine. Ive done 2 with him and they have been nothing but success!

Goodluck- alot on your plate when it comes home.!

MtyMous

You can't really tell from these pictures, but I'm not just stripping it. I'm actually de-burring it. I'm using sanding discs and grinding stones to get rid of it all. I'm mostly trying to knock out the casting marks and bad stuff, but it turned into just completely smoothing it. I know the machine shop won't do that. And if they did, it wouldn't be as cheap as me doing it in the garage. I'll hand it over to them with a light coat of primer that they will likely remove.