Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Pic of the other door bottom.  It had a fair amount of surface rust under some sealer I removed.  A pic of the other door bottom pretty much prepped up, I want to sand it a little more and get it more uniform before the paint job...though not like you'll be looking down there.  I also poured my left over primers in the back side of the door to leak into the seams and my patch work.  Ideally with a full skin job you can lay a bead of sealer back there to keep water from settling between the skin and the frame.  Even though there are drain holes, they always seem to rust on the bottom from where water sits.  Boot lid is ready for paint, bonnet is 90% ready, car is 70% ready, and doors are about 50% now.   

94touring

These are half way painted.

MtyMous

Looks fantastic. Definitely satisfied with my color choice. Can't wait to see the car painted. I'm getting so pumped.

94touring

Tomorrow is more door prep.  Have a bit of block sanding to do on the one.  The other I applied rust mort on the back side of the skin to infiltrate any surface rust between the seams.   

Nicholasupton

Quote from: 94touring on May 29, 2014, 07:16:26 PM
Tomorrow is more door prep.  Have a bit of block sanding to do on the one.  The other I applied rust mort on the back side of the skin to infiltrate any surface rust between the seams.

I started using a long rubber tube and syringe to do this after cars came back from the blaster, just fill from the inside of the door until it weaps out the folded side of the skin.  Then after paint I use the same type of setup to apply 3M rust fighter inside the doors.

sparetimetoys

Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

94touring

I like the syringe idea.  I just pour and tilt back and forth.   Larry,  rust mort is a rust converter/destroyer.   About the only time I use it is for cases like this.

94touring

First coat of lizard skin on the firewall.  I'll do the 2nd one tomorrow.  And a couple different angles of the rest of the boot and bonnet paint job.

MtyMous

I'm officially in love.

It's gonna be interesting peeling off small sections of the lizard skin in order to plug things in/screw stuff in, but I still think it's going to be worth it.

94touring

You know I've been thinking the same thing with the lizard skin.  I left a few screws and grommets in place to help out in the future.  It goes on thick.

MtyMous

We will see how it works on the firewall. I've seen people do it before, so I'm not overly concerned with it. But I do know that it's going to be kind of a pain to get around some of it. Even if I spend a few hours carefully cutting and peeling little pieces off, I still feel like the benefits will be well worth it. Noise reduction is a huge plus, but the heat reduction will be well worth it.

wevebeenhad

MtyMous, this is the BMW grey color right? Its AWESOME! very clean, that with a tinted clear would look amazing...  77.gif

94touring

I had the bonnet out in the sun today.  It's really cool looking. 

MtyMous

No pictures?! gahh. That's ok. I'll wait to see the whole thing painted and out in the sun. I took a picture of the rig I'll be picking it up with.

94touring

Yeah nothing.   I took the weekend off but did go by yesterday and put the 2nd application of lizard skin on.  Those two buckets were perfect quantities, have a small amount left over.  I am bummed about one thing, I need to airbrush the back side of the boot lid where I accidentally gouged the paint on my stand in a spot.  Wasn't very happy about that.   Part of reassembly that I loath is not screwing up the paint.  Poor Dean was putting trim on his doors the day after we finished his car, slipped with the screw driver, and took a big gouge out.   He was nearly in tears. 

MtyMous

Yeah. That's one thing I'm pretty afraid of myself. I know I'm gonna break down the first time I scratch it. Haha.

94touring

Well I've spent the last 2 days sanding and sanding and sanding.  On the home stretch of sanding.   20.gif

MtyMous

That's good news. seems sanding is everyone's least favorite part. I know I was excited to start sanding down to metal, but eventually was just tired of getting to the detailed sanding. I can only imagine what it's like for you to do the details you do to make the paint look so good.

Jims5543

Love the color! Like the towing rig too.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

She's pretty much ready to go.  I have 2 or 3 minor spots to sand out a little more, but door frames should be sprayed tomorrow evening.  Did the final block sanding on the doors today as well, so they'll be ready to mount after I spray the back sides and mask off with the door frames to shoot the body. 

As far as rolling this thing on the dolly onto a trailer, after moving my truck inside to have it block sanded today I realized that the frames are so light that they like to slide on the dolly with any friction.  In the trucks case it was in a little bit of dirt outside and I had a hell of a time getting it to solid ground to move it around easily.  I think with the incline the dolly may be next to impossible to get the shell up without sliding off.  So, I will just put your subframes on and wheels and call it good. 

I need to look in the box of random parts I pulled off, but did you happen to send the bonnet latch mechanism for me to paint?  I think the boot hinges are in there, but I forgot to look.  I have the block off plate and I need to paint seam covers too.  Just trying to think of any small odds and ends to spray all at once.  Oh and bring your boot lid handle and bracket, so we can mount it for transportation.  I don't recall seeing those in there either. 

MtyMous

Sounds good about the wheels/subframes.

As far as the bonnet latch mechanism, If you're talking about the "lock" mechanism that goes on the slam panel, yes. The car showed up with an external release one. If you're talking about the hook that's attached to the bonnet itself, I'm not sure if it did or not. The boot hinges were there. I'll be sure to bring the boot lid handle and bracket.

The bed of the truck will be cleared out for any pieces like the steering rack or brake lines or anything like that which was removed. Don't think there will be a problem because there wasn't much on the car to begin with haha.

94touring

Door frames are done.  I also went ahead and fit the seam covers, which I'm glad I did because I probably would have scratched the paint later on.  Need to give them a little sand job and a coat of primer and once the doors are finished off and back side painted, the car is ready to go.  Door work tomorrow and mask off door frames. 

94touring

I just realized I bet the latch on the slam panel is still on the old front end in my pile of dead mini panels out back.  Found the boot hinges. 

MtyMous

Quote from: wevebeenhad on May 31, 2014, 03:42:42 PM
MtyMous, this is the BMW grey color right? Its AWESOME! very clean, that with a tinted clear would look amazing...  77.gif

Sorry I missed this. Yes, it's the BMW color. I actually saw it on the BMW in person the other day. Had almost a khaki/green tint to is in the sun, then looked blue/grey in the shade. Guy said it looks nearly black at night. I'm excited to see it in real life.

94touring

Sometimes it has a copper tint to it also.