Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Hey I was re-reading this thread, and do you want the interior black and black stripes on the bonnet still? 

MtyMous

Wow.. that is way better than I thought it would be. I freaking love this. The coating looks really great, and the paint looks even better. Just seeing this little bit of paint on the bottom of that sill gets me super pumped. I LOVE the color already.

Thanks for posting this up, Dan. I'm getting really motivated by all of this. Can't wait to get it back into my garage.

On a side bar. I've been thinking about how the heck I'm gonna get it back home. Should I try to find some way to make up a cart or something that can be strapped to a trailer? Do you have any ideas or designs? I'm concerned about damaging it and all that awesome work you've put into it now. haha.

94touring

Well it goes back on the dolly tomorrow or day after.  I need to mask the bottom first.  So you can use that cart and pay me 50 bucks for supplies if you're interested in that.  As far as strapping it down goes,  I'm thinking maybe using the rear subby bolt holes and fabbing up something from those to use as tie down points.  Up front you could use the shock tower brackets and eye bolt holes off the front end. 

MtyMous

I'll absolutely buy the dolly from you if you think it will work for the transport back to OKC. That would be ideal, too so I can wheel it into the garage as well. Let me know what kind of wheels are on the dolly so I can plan to have ramps that it can go up. Thanks.

Quote from: 94touring on May 01, 2014, 07:09:44 PM
Hey I was re-reading this thread, and do you want the interior black and black stripes on the bonnet still?

All the same color as the exterior still. No need to spend time on the bonnet stripes. If I put some one (not likely) they will be vinyl and I'll cut them myself like I did the last ones. haha. Easier, cheaper, and removable. Thanks for checking though. Just a black roof.

94touring

Cool. 

The dolly wheels are inflatable 6 inch tires.  I'll grab a width for you.

94touring

Back on the dolly.  Of course I forgot to grab dimensions of the dolly. 

MtyMous

haha. No worries. track width is really all that i think I need. maybe length and clearance height.

Excited to see it on the Dolly. This means good things are very near.

94touring

Did some block sanding today, getting the roof about ready for black paint.

MtyMous

Awesome. Can't wait to see that. Love the updates. I hang on like a kid waiting for Christmas. haha

94touring

One black roof done. 

MtyMous

Aaand I have a half chub. Looks awesome man.

94touring

Ignore the couple random dust particles.  It's not in the paint.  I will say my new inline block sander makes this much more enjoyable to sand. 

MtyMous

I trust you. What stage is it at? I know you mentioned 2 base coats and 3 coats clear.

94touring

Stage as in what's left to do?  And yes 2 base coats 3 clear coats.

MtyMous

My bad. I meant what stage were you at with paint as in was this the final stage of painting the roof (already did the 3 clear coats). It looks awesome so I was going to be surprised if you said you still had another stage of clear or something. haha.

94touring

Oh no it's done.  Yeah it had been done for about a half hour after I snapped that photo.  I open the doors and dust was flying everywhere, hence why I said ignore the dust particles.  I've gotten pretty good with this new gun I've been spraying cars with, the amount of color sanding will be very minimal. 

MtyMous

That's awesome. Looks great. BTW, I got confirmation from JEGS that the other product was received back yesterday. Thanks.

94touring

Oh good.  Yeah I boxed it up awhile back, probably forgot to tell you.  Pics later of a color sanded roof.

94touring

Color sanding and then the aftermath of buffing.  I need to hit a few spots in the gutter a little more, but otherwise I'm very pleased.  Black is a biatch. 

MtyMous

Looks amazing. There's no orange peel  to speak of. Maybe a little bit of swirling in the really sunny pictures, but that's nothing that I couldn't remove with a bit of compounding in the garage.

Brilliant work, Dan.

94touring

I need to hand glaze it yet, or maybe just wipe it down better.   

MtyMous

either way, there's no denying that the paint work and post paint work is awesome quality.

94touring

I'll knock out the interior next week.  Its just about done in the prep department.   

94touring

Got the interior sealed and color on the visible spots, though I'm aware you'll be covering the dash rails. 

MtyMous

Looking awesome. I'm hanging on like a little kid with every post. haha.