Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Excellent.  Yeah I don't want to use more paint materials than I have to.

MtyMous

So those super sweet bumpers I was working on? Well they sat on the shelf for a while. But I just recently got back at them and put in some work. I actually like the finished product, but the problem is that these bumpers had issues before like pitting, a bit of surface rust, and some deeper scratches. So they aren't perfect. If I end up liking this look, I might just go ahead and buy some new chrome ones and doing the same thing to the new product.

Here's what I came up with tonight.

Let me know what you think. I'm really digging this look. Might go with it on all the shiny bits like door handles and headlight rings. We'll see.

94touring

I think it looks cool.  Would like to see it in person.   Nice gun btw!

MtyMous

Thanks and thanks! haha. I like it, but if you get reeally close (less than 2 feet), you can see some of the old marks and scratches. I'm gonna experiment with other finishes. Matte clears, etc.

Oh.. and the gun is a USP.40. I like to have a "friend" with me in the garage at all times when I have my back turned and working late. Nice neighborhood and all, but you never know. And that "friend" is always willing to help if it gets thick.

pbraun

That's a sharp look! Nice. Good friend, too!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MtyMous

Thanks, Peter.  And yeah... good friend. Always by my side.

94touring

Pretty much ready to spray the bottom but the paint booth is filled with cabinets again.   50.gif

MtyMous

Dang. I HATE when my paint booth grows cabinets while I'm away.

94touring

As I mentioned in another thread my intrawebs is down so can't post pics.  But I have phase 1 of undercoat on.  Tomorrow is phase 2.  Then paint it. 

MtyMous

That's awesome news!. I'm not home for the next 2 weeks, so I really only get limited internet access. Training/work all day, then I still have to do my real job at night, so just hearing about this is awesome. I'm super excited to see the finished product. How did it go on? Was it easy/difficult? Messy? Would you do this in your home garage, or should I go full on "Dexter" and have a plastic kill room set up when I spray the interior? haha

I'm pumped to see pictures whenever you get internet again. Glad to see this stage finally here.

94touring

It was fairly messy.  It does splatter a fair amount.  It really goes on thick but I'm not sure I could have sprayed it any thinner.   I still have some left over to do the firewall too once I get the rotisserie out of the way. 

94touring

The 2nd half which is ceramic insulation sprays on much better.  Not nearly as thick.

94touring

MtyMous

That looks freaking awesome. I'm assuming it's probably still a bit wet. Can't wait to see it. When do you think you'll get to the firewall?

94touring

That's partially dry, it starts looking grey as it dries.   Once I get the underside painted and take the rotisserie mounts off the firewall I'll get it. 

MtyMous

That's cool. I hope we don't have the same issue with it hardening in the bucket between now and then.

94touring

It won't be long so I think we'll be fine.

sparetimetoys

Is that the Lizzard Skin stuff?  I thought the stuff was supposed to go on the inside?  That's how the guy in the booth at Pate told me to put it on. We talked about sound deadening on the floor and heat reflecting on roof and floor.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

MtyMous

SpareTimeToys, You can apply it however you like. It's a hard rubber coating. Most people will simply use it on the inside of the car and call it good. That's for sound deadening purposes only. If you use the Ceramic coating, you get sound deadening and heat shielding. But by using it under the car, I've also added a protective layer of skin that I know is pretty uniformly covering the bottom, wheel wells, and other areas. It's probably not 100% as good as say Linex, but it's as close as you can get in my opinion and has 3 uses.

I'll also be spraying a layer on the floor inside, possibly on the inside of the rear quarters, and the roof. If you study up on sound deadening, it's mostly about mass loading and vibration dampening. This product takes care of both of those. I'll have a dense pad between the floor coating and my carpet, and that should keep it significantly quieter in the car. Yes I'm adding a few pounds, but really... I could care less. This isn't a race car, and it's weight that has a HUGE purpose.

sparetimetoys

Are you just doing the ceramic on the roof?  Im looking at radiant heat coming in more than sound hear in texas.  I work on jets all day sound isnt that bad anymore after 32 years of them, other than the TV for some reason loud TVs bug the heck out of me.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

MtyMous

Well the ceramic won't be on the roof. I've got a black roof, so I don't think there's going to be much that I can do here. Haha. It will get heat soaked and eventually bleed in. Putting the ceramic on will probably do very little to stop the heat soak in that instance.

94touring

At the paint store.   You picked the most complex metallic available apparently lol.  Equally expensive!

MtyMous

Yikes. Does it seem like it can be sprayed easily/evenly?

94touring

I'll know in a few hours.  Headed home to change then out to the shop.

94touring

Ok onto painting your car.  Underside is done.  Paint lays out really nice.  It's thicker than normal, but they added a lot of stuff in it.  Thins out nicely and no issues.