Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

Well that bracket looks fantastic. And WOW. What freaking color is the bely of the beast? Haha. Wonder if that was the original color at some point...

94touring

Yeah just some kind of gray.   8.gif

94touring

Still cleaning this underside.  Found a few holes in the wheel arches to patch. 

MtyMous

hiding under a few inches of gunk and body filler I'm sure.

94touring

The needle scaler broke today but my minion has been grinding away at rust spots for a couple days back here.  I went ahead and epoxy sealer primered it to prevent surface rust from showing up while we continue the cleaning process.  I have a few patches to attend to before I can prime the rest anyways.  Here are just a couple of a handful. 

94touring

Ended up cutting a large area out, but was able to redo the lip that runs along the wheel arch in the process to clean up several large drilled out holes.  Need to add in the one metal plate but had to head out for the day.  Back to my day job tomorrow. 

94touring

Did some welding today.  Got the left rear wheel arch patched up where it was rotten.  Filled in the hole for the antenna.  Did some minor patch work on the left floor pan corner.  Finished welding the front end to the inner wing. 

MtyMous

That's great.

I know I keep saying this, but from seeing some of the other builds on the internet, I know that there is no way they have the level of detail you put into your work. I was looking at a "full resto" and the guy didn't even look under the car. Not to say this is horrible, but there are things that you just can't find as you found when you put it on the rotisserie. And I've been browsing through the pics of your paint lately. The detail on your wet sanding is great. I can see that you take the time to wet sand right up to the seams. Some will wet sand to a mirror finish everywhere, but then don't take the time to really get into the hard to reach parts like the panel seams and door jambs.

Just wanted to take the time to say thanks for taking the time to get to this level of detail.

94touring

Thanks man.  The rotisserie is a great tool.  I just can't imagine doing it without one at this point.  Takes no time to put on and take off but makes working 100x easier.  Oh I forgot to ask, are we leaving the factory floor sound deadening material in?  I removed an area on the drivers pan where I was working today but wasn't going to remove the rest unless you wanted it gone.  And refresh my memory on the bonnet and boot lid.  I have both of them but can't remember which one's you're replacing.     

Jims5543

I want to send my truck to you.

There, I said it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on April 09, 2014, 10:41:52 AM
I want to send my truck to you.

There, I said it.

I triple dog dare you!

MtyMous

Yes on removal of the sound deadening. I thought we mentioned it and you had said you have a "needler" or something like that you would use. I'm gonna re-apply my own material later.

Yes on the bonnet and boot. If you remember when we talked in person, I need then done but eventually I'll be replacing them with some Carbon Fiber pieces. I was toying with just buying those and having you paint them but that won't happen now.

Thanks for following up.

94touring

Perfect.   Yeah I have a needle scaler to take that stuff out with. 

94touring

Finished with all the welding.  Back in a few days to continue cleaning up floors. 

MtyMous

Fantastic. I love seeing progress on this and all of the builds on here.

94touring

Floor cleanup day.  Got all the factory sound deadening up. 

MtyMous

I feel kind of dumb asking, but... what's next? haha. I haven't seen it in so long that I've kinda lost scope. Any more welding to do?

94touring

I have a few screw holes on the floor I need to weld.   Seam seal a few areas on the underside and start painting.   There is still some exterior prep to be done too.  Just lots of sanding here on out.

MtyMous

I spoke with the guys at Lizard Skin about the product, and they said that what I ordered/sent to you should be enough to do the whole belly of the car, under the boot floor, the firewall, and inside all 4 fender wells. But he said it does have a tendency to splatter a bit, so he recommends taping off and putting plastic over anything you don't want it to get on. haha. I'll have to remember that when I get it home and do the interior myself.

Another great point is that he said you can paint right over it with automotive paint. just prime and paint. The beautiful part is that you don't have to sand or worry about any kind of prep. haha. Just needs color.

Here's a couple videos I found online of the actual application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWEtrHOsV1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLpodkoC4lQ

94touring

Ok cool.  You want it silver? 

Mudhen

20 years from now when 94Jr has taken over the family business and the restorationmini2.0 site, there will be some dude on here complaining about the person who owned the Mini before him and why did they have to put all that junk on that they can't get off in order to get to the rust...

It does look cool, though!

Pat

MtyMous

Yeah. Same color as the body would be great. Mudhen, the next guy that has to remove it will either be me or my kid when I have one.

94touring

Kids, gross. 

Ok great.   Silver it is.  You'll have epoxy sealer primer, lizard skin, expoxy sealer primer, base coat/clear coat.  Talk about impenetrable.   I will be buying the silver soon then.  I just dropped a big chunk of change on other paint materials but still need to get that silver mixed.

94touring

You mentioned doing interior floors yourself.   If that's the case, shall I just seal them and let you do your thing?

MtyMous

Yeah. I wouldn't worry about paint matching the floor. Haha. Seal it and don't worry about it. I mean, if you get paint on the interior floor while you're painting the rest of the interior, it won't really matter. I intend to mask everything off with plastic inside there when I do it, but I'll be spraying over anything that's on the floor.