Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Oh it was fine.  The bigger one was a little bent from breaking welds but no rust.  Its welded to the top of the kick panel and sturdy now.

MtyMous

Awesome. It's been a while since I've been beating panels and tearing things out of the car so I really couldn't remember. That's good though. I really do look forward to these updates. I feel like a kid that gets to watch his birthday present being built. haha

94touring

Ha.  Yeah coming along pretty good.  I'll get the front end on soon and get it on the rotisserie to do that cill and clean up the underside.

94touring

Random patch day. 

These things always rot out on every car. 

Fitted it with a thick gauge piece of steel rather than the double layer of thin crap that never last.  The grill is in too. 

Rotten areas along the windscreen.

Back together again.  I'll run a bead of filler along the corner where the welds are to clean it up and it will be flawless looking. 

Mudhen

I had to go back and look at this thing before...hard to imagine what was lying below the surface - it was so gorgeous on page 1!

I'll never have 94 touch one of my cars...somehow he magically creates rust as he works.   :(

MtyMous

Haha. Well I know how much crap was on there, and I know he's uncovered more than I ever would have.

Wouldn't even have thought about those shock perches. And that's awesome that you've replaced them with something stronger. Just another thing that I really like about your work. And the fact that you take time to clean up welds , smooth things over even if they won't really be seen, etc. That's awesome.

Jims5543

These threads give me anxiety......
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

This car isn't even that bad.  Its like a walk in the park lol. 

Pics for the day.  Front end is on.  I need to tidy up the welds, but otherwise fits like a glove.  Also fit a hood and the gaps are great.   

MtyMous

Yay!! It's a car again. haha.

THOSE GAPS!! I am in complete disbelief how well those panels line up. I know you make it look easy but that couldn't have been easy.

After looking at this, I realized I don't remember asking about the seam covers. I just sort of assumed I guess. :/

94touring

Knockoff panels work just fine.  You can't get a better fit than what you got.  Only issue I ran into was the left A panel was mega tight to get on.  Otherwise it all went right together pretty quickly. 

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on March 20, 2014, 04:09:32 PM
Random patch day. 

These things always rot out on every car. 

Fitted it with a thick gauge piece of steel rather than the double layer of thin crap that never last.  The grill is in too. 

I need some specifics on this repair...I know I asked about it before but it's not clear in my head how I'm going to go about fixing it.

I like the idea of using a thicker gauge of steel, especially if my car ever really does get out in the dirt...but how thick can I go and how will I get a good weld to the...whatever I need to weld it to...

94touring

No secrets to it really.  Cut out beyond the rotten areas and fit a piece back it.  The scrap metal I used was probably 16 gauge.   On the bottom you can get welds from both sides, and the left and top you'll hit into the metal that backs it. 

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on March 22, 2014, 05:58:23 AM
No secrets to it really.  Cut out beyond the rotten areas and fit a piece back it.  The scrap metal I used was probably 16 gauge.   On the bottom you can get welds from both sides, and the left and top you'll hit into the metal that backs it.

Thanks.  I wish I could figure out a way to get around the captive nut thing...

16ga.  I can work with that.

94touring

Took the front end down to metal to sealer primer and began block sanding the body.  Found one minor low area on the roof and a handful of minor dings on both sides.  Nothing crazy. 

MtyMous

Looks great. I can't wait to see the next stages.

And who would ever say this wasn't a highly skilled task? :D

94touring

Ha that guy...he was something.   :-[ 8.gif

94touring

Front subby was dropped today and you're all set to go on the rotissier.  Did a bunch of sanding today. 

MtyMous

Awesome. How does the subframe look? Should be pretty solid. And those Poly bushings are brand new.

94touring

Yeah solid.  I noticed the bushings! 

94touring

Why has though forsaken me.   :-[  Got that overcill off and there was double layers of metal.  I got it cleaned up though. 

Do you want the screw holes that held the battery cable welded up?  Or were you going to keep using that conduit?  There is the channel the cable fits in that's available down there now. 

MtyMous

You can weld them up. I'm going to find a different route for the cables. Where's the channel you were referring to?

MtyMous

And boy am I glad you found that crap. Like I said, I had no idea that crap was under there. The work was done by British Leyland in Lewisville, TX. I would never go back there. They really cut a lot of corners. And now it's apparent they cut WAY more corners than I even knew about. Terrible...

94touring

Yeah double layering metal is no beano.  I did like their bad spot welds though, makes it easy to take old panels off, lol.  The channel for the cable runs along side the tunnel.  The old cable was still in it, just chopped off on both ends. 

MtyMous

Ah. Got it. Yeah. That was an old repair. I'm so ready to start fresh on this car and do it right.

94touring

Well I was looking at this and thought, meh that looks bad.  So took it out and put together a new bracket with captive nuts.  Used thick gauge steel as well.  The sill is on and the underside is being cleaned up.