Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

I thought about going with a belt setup, but wanted to stick with the chan for now. The Kent chain is well trusted by the reaching community folks I've talked with.

The DSN stuff is excellent. Great fit. Perfect finish, and honestly, a MUCH better solution. The seals, fit, everything. Is better than factory. It's a true solution, not just pretty.

I think i paid $225 for this piece, but honestly I don't know. I bought half their catalogue when I placed this order. Lol

MiniDave

I agree about the quality of DSN stuff, but like KAD (also good stuff) they are SPENDY! Stan has a number of DSN pieces on his engine, most obvious is the valve cover, but the coil bracket is a beautiful piece of engineering, and looks good too!

I was asking about the cost of the engine adaptor plate, for the engine stand......the one from Keith Adams......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

I like the look of the valve cover, but isn't it difficult to adjust valves with that thing?

The engine stand adapter... woops! haha. I'm not sure what Keith is selling them for to everyone. Get a hold of him on Facebook and he'll give you a price.

https://www.facebook.com/wkeith.adams

MiniDave

Just like a regular valve cover, there are only two nuts holding it on, so I would remove it if I were adjusting the valves.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Quote from: MtyMous on December 19, 2017, 12:50:58 AM
Guys... Shooting video is easy. Editing video is a bitch. Also, My audio SUCKS! Who knew?

Yep In my restoration thread, I said I would do a video of painting I did but never got it edited to a postable quality I'm going to give it another shot and try to do a better one.

94touring

Today marks 4 years since I painted your car.   Hurry up and finish it!

MtyMous

Shameful. Ok fine. I'll finish it this year.

Lol. I'm actually waiting on a waiting harness and then the fuel system goes in

94touring

MtyMous

Hahahahahahaha. That's the best thing I've ever seen on the internet

MtyMous

ugh... the forum gave me the warning that this thread hasnt been posted to in at least 120 days... I'm sorry Tink thread.

But... I actually have some free time now and I'm dedicated to getting her running before my birthday in May. Finished? Probably not. But at least running.

MiniDave

Your video and editing skills have improved too!

Maybe you could do a little scroll across the bottom when the music starts to tell us what it is? Like they did on Project Binky?

Those motor mount bolts can be a royal PITA......sometimes you just have to make one of the bolt holes one size bigger to give you some finagling room.

Progress is always good to see, keep going - you're on a roll now!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Thanks Dave. Yeah, I'm gonna have to keep going after that engine mount. It might need to come out to make the hole a little bigger. They're a real pain. They're "resting" right now. haha. Maybe that'll help.

The music is all royalty free, non-attribution music. This one was called Castleshire by Chris Haugen. I'll put the track in the description

tmsmini

Nice to see the SC system in place. Is that the 50 or 45 TB?
I am still learning. My latest issue is not being able to get the engine warm enough to a decent operating temp for the FI.

MiniDave

Are you running an aluminum radiator?

On cold days (under 40*) I can barely get mine off the "C", it's almost too efficient.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Mine stays between C and N on cold days.  I swapped in a new sender I bought wondering if it would read different, but nope.

tmsmini

It is a Minispares radiator, but I don't remember the number off the top of my head. I have the gauges all sorted and they agree within a few degrees. But as soon as I start moving the temp drops. Mostly around 50-55 F - 10-13 C ambient temp and the coolant temp is running about 150 F - 65 C.  This is with the 190 F - 88 C thermostat. But then nothing is exactly standard on the engine. I will post a more complete description in the FI section.

MtyMous

I'm running an aluminum radiator, too. Never had a problem keeping it around 190. I'll be running only an electric fan when it gets all up and running. Should help out with more precise temp control and free up some space.

Tim, I'm running the 50mm tb

94touring

Quote from: MtyMous on March 02, 2019, 11:17:41 PM
I'm running an aluminum radiator, too. Never had a problem keeping it around 190. I'll be running only an electric fan when it gets all up and running. Should help out with more precise temp control and free up some space.

Tim, I'm running the 50mm tb

Hey just fyi I tried electric fan only and it wouldn't keep up in the summer.

MiniDave

I did the same with Buzz - no joy. I think the only way to make that work is with a front mounted radiator, like an MPi

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Well then things are gonna get real interesting because I don't have a lot of clearance with my KAD viscous fluid damper. The plastic fan fouls on it. Also doesn't have any real roombetween it and the radiator mount/engine mount bracket so I have to modify that to be able to change belts.

94touring

Yeah the stock fan and shroud is required to direct air through the radiator.  Being side mount the air just goes around it otherwise.

MtyMous

Yeah, I'll definitely have a shroud. I was thinking about vacuum Molding something to the radiator and them replicating that in Carbon Fiber. Doing all of that around a very high CFM electric pusher fan and then trying to make something up that fills the gap between the radiator and body to make sure it all gets pushed out of the engine bay and doesn't have a chance to recirculate.

94touring

There's enough low pressure on the wing side of the radiator that it gets pulled out naturally.  If you can make some kind of shroud or scoop to direct air through the radiator at speed you may have a chance. Space is limited though.  An electric fan will do ok at idle in the summer but once you start moving it's a battle to get enough air through the radiator.

MiniDave

I've seen race cars with a duct shaped to take air from the grill straight thru the rad, but they don't look so cool.....but I bet it works.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad