Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

Just found out today where I'm going. On a totally unrelated note, I'll be in Ohio in 2 weeks. Are there any mini folk up there?

MiniDave

There is a very active MINI group especially around Columbus, if you're going there and would like I can hook you up......there are a few classics there too.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

I'll be in the Dayton area. This trip is probably too short to get over to Columbus, but I might have to get active with them in the future.

MtyMous

Man... I can't wait for these parts to start rolling in. Just made another purchase from KAD. Just a couple more big buys and then I can start putting the power train together.

Adjustable Oil Pressure Valve

Viscous fluid filled damper pulley with 36-1 tooth timing built in.

MtyMous

My gosh... it's been way too long since I've updated this. The problem here is that I'm actually moving in a few days and the last couple months have had me focused on that. But there is a good bit of news here. I've got the engine back from the machine shop. I'll be building up the short block sometime in the month of February hopefully, and the transmission at the same time. I really want to have something driveable by this summer. Unfortunately, with the move, my wife will lose her job, so the budget will be a little bit tighter. I have enough set aside (hopefully) to finish up the drivetrain. Then there's all the detail work of the interior, creating my own wiring harness from scratch, and figuring out the minor details that are left over. I want to do some really custom things as well, but those will have to remain a mystery until I get them sorted out and make sure they can actually be done within a reasonable budget.

Thanks for watching the build though, guys and I promise 2016 will have more updates very soon for Tink.

MtyMous

Oh... And this happened.

Yeah... That's right... I'm on golf cart wheels and tires. THE WORLD WILL END!!!!!!

I honestly just bought them because they are SUPER cheap and I needed something that I could roll he car around on for transport up to Ohio. It'll have a proper set sometime around the time it's ready to hit the road for engine break-in and testing.

Still looks awesome though. haha

Here they are compared to my 22x10's on my pickup. haha.

And a closer view. Hoping to have it on its feet tomorrow and off the stand for a little while.

94touring

Noice  4.gif. What's the tape around the door for?

MPlayle

Considering that MiniMania was/is promoting the Goodyear Double-Eagle tire which was/is a comparable tire to those Kendas, ...

I would be interested in knowing the bolt pattern description you used for ordering the rims.  Some of the "golf cart" rims available have struck an interest every once in a while, but I have not figured out the translation of the 4x4" pattern of the Mini to the terms often used on the golf cart/atv rims where they tend to list by cart/atv manufacturer name (Yamaha, etc.)

MtyMous

Dan, the tape went on when I was fitting the door hardware, latching mechanisms, and setting up the latch points. I also replaced the hinge plates with 1/4" stainless plates and hardware, so I needed to re-adjust the door gaps. I still intend to buy some new hinges and shims to get the gaps as close to perfect as possible. The tape is just a safety buffer.

94touring

Shimming doors is so much fun...let me tell you.  Be super careful.  I have had to repaint more than one during fitting where I accidentally f'd the paint. 

MtyMous

Oh yes. There will be a ton more tape and padding when it comes for re-shimming. Not gonna mess this paint up.

MtyMous

Quote from: MPlayle on January 08, 2016, 07:28:42 AM
Considering that MiniMania was/is promoting the Goodyear Double-Eagle tire which was/is a comparable tire to those Kendas, ...

I would be interested in knowing the bolt pattern description you used for ordering the rims.  Some of the "golf cart" rims available have struck an interest every once in a while, but I have not figured out the translation of the 4x4" pattern of the Mini to the terms often used on the golf cart/atv rims where they tend to list by cart/atv manufacturer name (Yamaha, etc.)

First off, I would probably feel ok doing standard commuting on these tires, but I don't know if I would trust the wheels. They are just low grade 10x6 wheels.

As for the bolt pattern, I just searched out a 4 x 4"pattern which is the same pcd we use (4x101.6mm). They have the same flange fitting and generally use the same hub ring diameter for clearing the hub nut. The real difference is how they measure backspacing and offset. They generally don't measure the offset like we would on a car. They measure in "3+3" or "3+4", etc. That means 3 inches of hoop behind the center and 3 inches outside from center or 3" behind, 4" outside, etc. You can calculate a standard offset from there though.

Then figuring out what dimensions will fit your car is a totally different story... I'm trying to create a tool that would allow us to measure all of that without buying anything. ;)

94touring

Quote from: MtyMous on January 08, 2016, 09:31:28 AM
Oh yes. There will be a ton more tape and padding when it comes for re-shimming. Not gonna mess this paint up.

Keep a particular eye where the apanel meets the door skin.  What looks good closed will gouge into the door skin while opening.  Yours have been tweaked and bent to allow for better clearance. 

MtyMous

I decided that I don't like the look.. I'm gonna run these for a while when the car is all finished up. I think they really fill out the fenders perfectly.

Just kidding. I'm only using the white trailer wheels so that I can fit the car inside an enclosed trailer. These wheels and tires put the car at exactly 4ft. 11in. The trailer opening is 5ft. 1in. The black wheels make the car 5ft. 2in. haha.

Anyway, those white wheels will come off in a week and I'll be back on the black wheels. After that, The real deal wheels will be purchased. But until then, Lets all enjoy looking at Tink on the ground on her own feet for the first time in about a year. I forgot how freaking low this thing is and it's not even lowered yet. haha

Scary amounts of wheel gap. I need to get an engine in this thing.

See... It barely comes up to my armpits. haha

Off to Ohio next week.

94touring

That really is a nice looking metallic  4.gif

MtyMous

Eh. It's just an old barn paint job. haha

94touring

MtyMous

Honestly though, I get a ton of compliments on the car's paint job. No one really gives a crap about the custom pieces or anything else I'm working on. haha

You really nailed this one.

94touring

Mudhen

That's the kind of wheel gap a rally guy could get behind!   ;D

MtyMous

Haha. There's definitely some travel left. I don't think the tire profile on the black wheels (205/50/10) will work if I go any lower than stock ride height. It would likely require some light trimming up front.

pbraun

Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MtyMous

Thanks, Peter. Good to hear from ya.

She is officially sitting in Ohio now.

MiniDave

Man, if only that picture was a little bit bigger.......  :)

Edit: That's better....nice garage.

Be sure to hook up with the Ohio Mini guys, you can find a bunch of them thru Motoring Alliance....most are in Columbus tho.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

Ah....I remember the days when my garage was all fresh and new and had oodles of space.  Now barely room to breath.
20x28

Presently with a mini van on a rotis, MGB GT, Woody, and still room to pull the Golf in for an oil change if need be