Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

I understand the concern, Jim. And there are definitely products that I wouldn't buy. And if you look at the rest of my build, hopefully it shows that I'm more concerned with quality than price.

As for the brakes, I did a LOT of research. I mean... an obnoxious amount. I spoke with probably 15 people that owned all different versions of MiniSport's  calipers, and I spoke with 2 guys that use them on their racecars. None of them had seen a failure. One guy said say he had an issue with the annodization coloring not matching on the two halves of the caliper, but that was the only complaint. Really, a big factor was that MiniSport had put a lot of time into designing a setup that would work with nearly every set of 10" wheels.

I try to get real world experience and combine it with technical data to form decisions.

Obviously I'll be keeping a close eye on all the components for the first few hundred miles.

MiniDave

There's a guy on a lot of forums who goes by the name "Joltfreak" who claims to have a kit that lets you use Honda vented discs and keep the 10 wheels.....

Here if the link still works.....http://joltfreak.tripod.com/
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I am running one of Joltfreaks Honda kits. There will only fit under a small number of 10" wheels. Will not fit stock steels at all. Other than finding wheels that fit I have been very pleased with them.

MtyMous

Yup. Joltfreak and I talked quite a bit a couple years ago. The kit is great. And replacement parts can be had at a local automotive store. Huge benefit. But there was some uncertainty of whether they would fit the custom 3 piece wheels I'm getting. MiniSport kit is confirmed to fit.

MiniDave

Sounds like you're all set then. 3 piece 10" wheels?????? Can't wait to see those!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

I've been chatting with Carl Austin for a while now. He's going to custom make a set for me. It's about timing, really. I need to get some other parts ordered and in place before I buy the wheels, really.  And they are a good chunk of money, too. lol

MiniDave

I had to go look Carl Austin up - Force Racing guy......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

I have had my eye on the V5's that they make. I will be waiting until I have the car buttoned back up before I pick out the size I want.
Engineering the Impossible

MtyMous

Well, Merlin, you're in for a treat. I'm buying the V5's. haha. Couple little touches, though. Just subtle and most probably wouldn't notice.

We were working to try and get the "DSY" design compressed to a 10" wheel for my car, but he said the design just doesn't support being shrunk down because of lug nut placement and just total strength at that size. I'm still loving the V5's though.

Merlin

I guess what I should have said is that Ill be getting 10" but I don't know what width and offset I want. Getting tires are the biggest issue I see.

Are you getting them in black as well? I really want the KAD wheels, but it took me a few moments to realize the price was for one wheel, and not for four. I just can't justify...
Engineering the Impossible

MtyMous

Yeah. Carl and I ran through a few options with offset and hoops for total width. I want a meaty tire on it and I also want it to fill out the current flares that I have on the car. We'll finalize the decision for the inner and outer hoops once I take some measurements now that I have the rear brakes and front hubs in place. Still debating between 6.5" and 7" wide. Each has its pros and cons. But my centers and hoops will be anodized different colors. Actual colors will be seen when I post pics. Won't be black though.

MiniDave

All that KAD stuff is seriously spendy!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

So I probably owe some sort of update. I've been slacking off because the wife and I decided to pay off some of her student loan debt with my new raise. Since then, we've been replenishing the savings and I will soon be back to buying those beloved car parts. But the next few purchases are going to be expensive. 

Built, ported, and flowed head, fuel injection kit, SCCR gearbox internals, SC drops, 3.1 FD, and many other small but similar purpose parts. Can you tell what phase of the build is next yet? Haha.  Hopefully the next two paychecks get me there. We'll see what all comes up. Thanks for sticking with me, guys.

MtyMous

Life happened again, guys. But it looks like it's time to kick this build off again.

94touring

Glad to see you're back at it.

MiniDave

Looks like some "fun" parts have arrived!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

fun indeed. Kent 286, maniflow header, vernier timing chain, and all the bits to put it together. Just need to get with the machine shop soon.

jeff10049

Sweet love seeing the progress.

Jeff

MiniDave

So........is it running yet?  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Dave, I wish. I need to get my butt in gear and just call the machine shop. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow. I've been so swamped at work that I haven't even been able to put the freaking subframes back into the car since I pulled them out to run the fuel lines. Ugh.

I have the money right now, but this whole Air Force thing takes a LOT of time. haha. Especially my job. It's more than a handful. To top it all off, I'll probably be moving in the Spring. Almost a year ahead of schedule. So now's the time to get her running if I'm ever gonna do it.

MiniDave

There you go - motivation!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Well... I'm an idiot. I somehow deleted the machine shop's phone number that was recommended to me. Dean, If you're out there, you recommended a machine shop that did your engine. I've lost his name and number and I need to give him a call. Let me know (shoot me a PM) if you can.

MiniDave

I sent Dean a message on Facetube....

Edit: Dean says you have his contact info, just get a hold of him.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

deanwilhite

Buddy Rice Precision Engine
+14052355475
1501 W Main St, Oklahoma City, OK 73106

Here you go Cam. Coffee and cars Saturday.

MtyMous

Dean,

Hope to have some time to get to Coffee and Cars on Saturday. What time are you guys usually out there?