2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Maybe this'll help -

Here's a clutch cover bolt kit:

MSSK062

And an engine to gearbox bolt kit:

MSSK060

Don't know if these are relevant, but they're listed within the 'People also bought' section for the post 1985 minis:

3 x DAM7756

6 x DAM7759

3 x DAM7758

And an exploded diagram - the part numbers are links to MSC's product pages:  Classic Mechanical Parts Manual - Flywheel, Clutch, Clutch cylinders and flywheel case

There's also a cylinder head ancillary fastener kit:  MSSK061
- Pave the Bay -

towjoe

You can use a depth gage for each hole. John at Guessworks will sell exactly what you need.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MtyMous

Towjoe, I'm in the process of doing exactly that. Super excited about it. Lol measuring thread pitch and hole depth on every single hole on the trans. Gonna try to document it for others to use.

tmsmini

Somerford's site lists most bolts and if you click on the item, you get the length in the description:
http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=page&id=147

I never looked at the detail for the transmission, but they appear to be there as well.
Terry

MtyMous

How do you guys separate the diff carrier bearings from the diff housing and the crown wheel? I'm trying to get the new diff built tonight and I'm struggling. Do I need a puller? I don't need to keep these bearings so I'm tempted to just cut the damn things off. lol

towjoe

MtyMous,
You hold one side of the diff in a vise and use a puller to the bearing off,
Or knock off the outer race and remove the balls, then remove the inner race with a puller. Flip the diff and do same
to the other side , then you can get to the ring gear and the differential .
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MiniDave

I use a bearing spreader and puller......

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

That's just what I need to get - my new X-pin diff was shipped Thursday.  I've never seen one before, what size bearing puller does a job like this require?

Always learning from others -
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Over here you can borrow such tools from the autoparts stores, you give them your credit card to cover the cost of the tool in case you don't bring it back, then on return your card is credited back.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Can't rent hand tools here...

I just bought this one -

http://cannontools.co.uk/phone/mproduct-page.php?productid=id1474

- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

That should do it!  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

(Hyacinth is gonna kill me... I've bought a lot o'tools lately, the engine crane, a couple of new torque wrenches, not to mention the X-pin and a couple of timing sets (JWIS simplex from KC and the Rollmaster JWIS duplex)). 

Maybe I can hide in the garage.
- Pave the Bay -

MtyMous

Good call Dave. I'll hop over to O'Reilly's and rent one next weekend. Going out of town again. I swear I can never get a weekend free around here. Hopefully all of my parts will be delivered when I get back though.

Thanks to everyone who had a suggestion. I think I was just late into the night and running out of brain power

MiniDave

I'm just excited to see you making some progress on Tink!

I'm tentatively planning to be at MME this summer in Ohio, hope to get a ride in the Tinkinator!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Taking forever for my parts to get here. Partially because I ordered some KAD parts as well and they were taking a while to make them new and deliver on the same order, so it held everything up. I've been out of town for work every other week and then I was sick for 2 weeks.

Basically I just need to kick this thing into top gear and get it done. Gonna try to get the transmission finished on Friday when I get back into town. I'm down in Florida this week for my dad's birthday. Long overdue.

MiniDave

So, how's Tink coming, get the transmichigan done?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

For reasons I can't really talk about, I've been sort of out-of-pocket for months. I've been slowly building up a stockpile of parts in my absence, so when I get a free chance on the weekend I like to put my time in the garage. Anyway, I've got a question for you guys. What do you think about these pot joints? Do I just need to scrap these? The two larger matte looking bands on each side are somewhat of a divot. I could probably polish and grind them back smooth but I feel like that might take off too much material. Is it just time to get a new set?

MPlayle

Missing picture?

If you are trying to use PhotoBucket for hosting, they went to being a subscription service required to post your pictures to third party sites like this forum.

It broke a TON of picture links in other threads.

MtyMous

Sorry. Flickr changed to a short code for images. Had to get off mobile to fix links. Pics work now.

Also, screw Photobucket. Lol

MPlayle

It may indeed take off too much material and they may leak oil a bit from the seals and bushings.

Will you also be replacing the differential output seals they go through?

If they were not leaking before and they are going back in with the same seals, they may be okay as-is.  Wait for some other folks to chime in as I may be wrong in thinking they may be okay going back in to the seal they came out from.

MtyMous

They're going into fresh bushings and fresh seals. I'm worried if I ream the bushings, they'll wear an irregular groove in the bushings and cause premature wear and leaking.

By the way, does anyone have a 1.25" reamer?

MiniDave

I think you need to mic them, if they're close to spec use them. Unless the seal area is really worn deeply, it will still seal just fine.

OTOH, if you're trying to build a high horsepower and reliable setup - new joints are only £22 right now......pretty cheap insurance.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Drivetrain/CV%20Joints/GCV1102MS.aspx?0801&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/pot joints.aspx|Back to search

Glad to see you're getting some "garage therapy" in these days! 

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

I just mic'd them they show 1.2500" - 1.2495". Pretty tight on the tolerance, too. I'm using my  Mitutoyo tools to measure, so I trust them.

I'm probably gonna buy a set just in case and keep these as a backup.

MiniDave

Probably the best idea........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad