Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Just partition a full size battery box and use the other half for tool storage.

94touring

MtyMous

Lets see how this turns out.

94touring

Very cool.  I'm interested to see how well it works.

MtyMous

Dan, Most of the reviews on the install seems like it's pretty straight forward if you get a good gun. I opted for the professional series gun... go big or go home I guess. haha. I'll probably use the gun in the future to buy more product and do any parts that you aren't able to do with the 2 gallons of each product that I'm sending to you.

MtyMous

Sent that "boxing panel" we talked about. Should be there tomorrow.

94touring

MtyMous

Did you get all of the shipments?

94touring

I'll swing by where my mail gets delivered tomorrow.  I was already half way home today when I thought to get it.

94touring

Lizard skin and box panel are here.

MtyMous

Hey, I forgot what you said about how you were going to repair the inner wing on the left side where the fan grid is rusted. Did you get an entire sill, or just parts?

94touring

That will get some cleaning up to determine how much more rust is actually there.  Otherwise I can simply fab the one obvious section, leaving in as much of the original as possible.   Getting pretty close to getting to your car though.

MtyMous

Cool deal. Just wanted to check in. Couldn't remember if we had talked about it or not.

94touring

Your car gets hauled into the shop tomorrow to get block sanding on whats been primered thus far.  Planning on having a shell primer party this week if I can ever get Flur done.   

MtyMous

Rock on!. I plan on having some group 5 race arches delivered to your place soon. Decided I don't want to have the sportspack arches on there if I end up going with 10" wheels.

MtyMous

So I may not have a mini to drive around at this moment, but it doesn't mean I'm not doing anything.

Building a set of LED tail lights. Brake, Turn, and Reverse. It's still on the bench and need to purchase components. I'll keep you guys updated as that build comes along. There's also a lot of things on the interior (small pieces) that I'm considering doing. Modulated LED strips for interior lighting. Something in a soft white and pretty subtle just to light up the car a bit. I want it to fade in and out when the doors are opened.

Then there's the matter of all the trim pieces. They are all chrome. And it will look a bit off with my new color/accent scheme. So what's a guy to do? Well... here's what I'm doing to all of my chrome trim. It is VERY labor intensive and irreversible. haha.

I'm really digging the way it's turning out. This was just half of one bumper. haha. It took me almost an hour. Still gotta do the door handles, boot handle, grille, headlight rings, side skirt trim piece, tail lights, and I'm sure I'm missing something here. haha.

wevebeenhad

What's your process, I've thought of doing the same thing.

Mudhen

That looks incredible!   4.gif

MtyMous

Process is tedious and irreversible. Lol. Scotch brite pad and a lot of elbow grease. Took me about an hour to do half a bumper. You can use a dremel to do some of the work, but it is very easy to screw up the grain and burn through the chrome. I haven't seen this done before on a mini, so I figured I would give it a try. What's the worst that could happen? Haha. Have to buy all brand new trim, handles, bumpers, headlight rings..... haha

94touring

I know a guy who sells anything you screw up lol.

MtyMous

Haha. Dan, I might have to grab some stuff from you anyway. My chrome is old, tired, and pitted. (Sounds like a lot of guys on other mini forums. Haha) So what i'm doing is a last ditch effort to save some money and metal. I'm trying to go deep enough to get the pits out, but some of it is into the nickel plate so there may be a slight color difference. We'll just have to see what I find. Can't wait to see it on the new paint scheme.

MtyMous

Dan, how much of a hassle would it be to chop the front license plate brackets off before you weld everything up and paint it?

94touring

License plate removal, two minutes. 

MtyMous

I was expecting a "2 minutes... But it'll cost ya." Haha

94touring

2 minutes and 200 dollars!   If I charged for every little thing all my rebuilds would cost 50k plus.