Tink: My '89 Mini

Started by MtyMous, April 01, 2013, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

So, that looks like about 30 minutes of body work the way Dan seems to do it.  :o

94touring

So a little more rust, but not too bad.   Start making a list!

MtyMous

I've got a list going.  I honestly think thats it for the rust though. Should be just paint stripping after this.

MtyMous

I've decided that I want to use

"Sparkling Graphite Metallic" for the grey paint. Code 1C6

DuPont lists them as:
Paint Code      Formula    Cromax Pro Chip
BMW A22         777101       A.40.3093
BMW A22         773067       A.40.3094
BMW A22         786636       A.40.3095
BMW A22         805329       A.40.3096
BMW A22         746649       A.40.3097
BMW A22         828279       A.40.3098
BMW A22         849689       A.40.3099

MtyMous

Well, Tink is at "Summer Camp" haha. Dropped her off at mini heaven to get the repairs done. Pretty excited about it. Can't wait to see the good work Dan does on her.

Here's some pictures before I dropped her off.

By the way, removing the Dynamat (butyl rubber and aluminum sound deadening material) is a GIGANTIC pain in the butt.

MtyMous

Dan, I meant to tell you. I talked with my buddy who owns a pro paint shop back home. He's the one that recommended I put the WD-40 on the bare metal. He said before you prime it, you should just use some laquer thinner. One wipe to clean all the muck off, and two more to clean all the residue. Not sure if you were gonna sand blast off the rest of the seams and areas that I couldn't sand before you coat it, or just prime it and then sand through it later.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you that tip if you didn't already know it.

94touring

Cool thanks.  Yeah I haved degreaser that will get the job done.

MtyMous

Awesome. My guy was giving me advice based on being in my garage without the real proper space and tools. haha. You've got the space and cool stuff to play with.

94touring

Its nice that you have it greased up to keep it from surface rusting.  It sucks when you have to resand a car that's already been sanded. 

dutchy1978

Nice truck you have to tow Tink with. It will be back in your hands in no time.
Nice work so far.

MtyMous

Quote from: dutchy1978 on July 13, 2013, 03:19:13 PM
Nice work so far.

Thanks Dutchy.  The truck was my first love. haha. Used  to be quite fast. Now  it's my daily driver.

dutchy1978

Quote from: MtyMous on July 13, 2013, 11:13:03 PM
Quote from: dutchy1978 on July 13, 2013, 03:19:13 PM
Nice work so far.

Thanks Dutchy.  The truck was my first love. haha. Used  to be quite fast. Now  it's my daily driver.

Looks fast and tough! My other love outside my mini is my boat. unfortunately my towing vehicle isn't quite as cool as yours. does the job though.

MtyMous

I like the boat. Been thinking about getting a boat lately, but I think I'd rather just get Tink in the best shape I can. Then go from there. Besides, hauling a boat around in the Air Force is kind of a pain.

MtyMous

I'm thinking of going with a paintable undercoating. Been looking around, and it seems like it's the best option.

Dan, I'm also trying to track down the exact formula for the paint. Which of the following paints are you using? I thought you were using the ChromaBase for basecoat. If this isn't right, let me know. If it is correct, then the paint info is in the photo I've attached.

94touring

That's it.  Put a few pieces we need on order to get this front end redone.

MtyMous

awesome. Were you able to find that brake hose/clutch hose piece on the firewall?

94touring

Sure wasn't but I think I can salvage yours.

94touring

Took your front end panels off today, sealer primed, and filler primed.  I was surprised at how weak the welds were on the side that was redone!  It was almost too easy to remove. 

MtyMous

Well, I'm glad they were easy to take off. It's disheartening to hear that they were bad in the first place though. The work that was done previously is NOT up to my level of satisfaction. It was done by a "professional" shop... or at least that's what they are calling themselves.

Anyway, thanks for the update. Love having pictures of the whole process.

4.gif 71.gif

94touring

Got the windscreen scuttle and a couple of the other odds and ends I needed.  The scuttle got beat up during shipping but looks like its gona be ok.   :-[

94touring

Figured I'd test fit while I was waiting for primer to dry on the Tahiti blue car.  Front end was dead on with the mounts that screw into it and everything else fell into place from there. 

Mudhen

Damn you with those new panels.  Damn you.

MtyMous

That looks freaking awesome man. I'm so pumped to see progress on this. Can't wait to see more on this. I know you're pretty busy with the other projects right now. I have a couple things I'll talk to you about off channel.

But that looks AWESOME!

94touring

Quote from: Mudhen on August 17, 2013, 01:18:40 AM

I just added a battery box to the store for you, pretty sure I remember you saying you needed one.

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on August 17, 2013, 03:34:22 PM
Quote from: Mudhen on August 17, 2013, 01:18:40 AM

I just added a battery box to the store for you, pretty sure I remember you saying you needed one.

I think I'm going to use some sort of small race battery...so my plan is to get a measurement and chop the battery box in half/quarter to just fit.  Now leave me alone with your high pressure sales tactics!   ;D