Question: What do you use to dress up your welds?

Started by MiniGene, March 27, 2013, 09:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniGene

When I'm welding I use my angle grinder with a grinding disc to clean up my welds.  I'm wondering if there is better way and what everybody else likes to do.

Thanks!

Nicholasupton

Depend on the area, I have used everything from a hand file on the dash rails to metal finish a welded up hole, to a 7 inch flap disc to remove nasty welds on a bulkhead bracket.  My normal go to is a 4.5 inch grinder with a 40g disc and finish with a 100g on a 4 inch grinder.

MiniGene

Thanks!  I think I need to try some flap discs on my next welds.  Hand files are something I need to pick up too.

Mudhen

I love using my little pnuematic 1/4" angle grinder for smaller stuff.  But my local HD only carries the little twist on sanding pads as part of a kit so it gets a little expensive.  Haven't been able to find any sort of job pack of them yet...

MtyMous

Mudhen, If you have a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool around you, that's where I get my multi packs of different "spin-on" types for my angle die grinder. They're about $6 for a pack of 5 or 6. Pretty good deal. Fine, medium, course grit pads, and various different sanding grits. I love my 5 pack of 80 grit for all the bondo removal. Then I've got some "fine" grit to finish up once I get to metal. Doesn't hardly remove any metal though. I would go with something more aggressive like 36 grit AlOx discs for welds and finish up with an 80 grit or medium/fine disc if it's highly visible and needs paint.