Auto Applejack

Started by 94touring, February 21, 2013, 07:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Heres the upcoming car due for a paint job.  We imported this several years ago for John as a trade for delivering cars we imported.  Anyways, its an 80's something with a 998 auto.  The plan as of now is to paint it applejack green and give it a black roof. 

batman1usa

4.gif
   4.gif
     4.gif

94touring

Started in on the roof.

Mudhen

Crikees, how many projects are you juggling?  In addition to your real job....

The more the merrier I say.  I just love watching progress.   4.gif

94touring

Lol, there are 4 minis in the shop right now.  3 are active.  Well the truck hasnt' seen much attention in awhile, but thats gona change soon.

Roof primered.  Lots of wavey dents to work on.  Good thing I bought the air block sander!

Mudhen

QQ...what weight sandpaper were you using on the roof?  Thought it was 220 for paint removal...80 for rust.  But my local HD doesn't seem to carry 220, round, sticky back.

My DA is 6 months old, never used...might be time to change that.

94touring

Initially we went with 180, but turns out the roof use to be blue and had a lot of green on top of that.  The green also had hairline fractures, hence the complete removal.  So since it was taking awhile to cut through gobs of paint we switched to 80.  The sandpaper is velcro back 3m trizact hookit.  It doesn't clog like regular sandpaper, lasting longer.  You can read about the product on their website.  Its see through and doesn't have "sand".   

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/BodyshopSolutions/-/Products/NewProducts/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GG880IHA65CELUBE3000000_assetId=1319210749095

94touring

Latest on this project is we've been sanding the crap out of the roof.  Its like someone walked on it.  Lots of dents of all sizes. 

94touring

The dented roof is no longer dented and wavey.  I finally was able to get a company to ship a sample of applejack green.  It was the worst getting the paint, and the place I went with online went MIA for over a month after I paid for a very pricey sample.  It better be a good looking color thats all I know! 

94touring

Should be the only panel that needs replaced, aside from the bonnet which looks like it got walked on too.

Nicholasupton

You got lucky there. it seems like any time I pull an A-panel off a mk3+ car I have to patch up the inner fender where it mounts.

94touring

Yeah no doubt.  Some old lady in the UK owned this car and barely drove it.

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on May 22, 2013, 06:06:21 PM
Yeah no doubt.  Some old lady in the UK owned this car and barely drove it.

At least her grossly overweight cat enjoyed it!

94touring

Found some more rust, this should be the last of it though. 

Door skin issues on the bottom.

94touring

I'll be putting this info into a DIY about door repairs.

Door bottom repair using a 1/3 skin and inner lower repair panel. 

Overlay the skin draw a line and cut out the old.

Cut out the section for the lower repair panel.

Next take your time and carefully trim as necessary to ensure the door skin fits on both ends as well as the underside snug against the lower repair panel.  If its too long the gaps on the bottom of the door to the door frame will be off.  Takes a few times going back and forth trimming/shaving metal till its perfect. 

After the lower repair panel has been welded up, set the skin back on and slowly weld it on.  I use a wet towel and go back and forth with the spot welds.  Going too fast and not keeping the metal cool will result and bad warpage.

Mudhen

What are you, Joe factory repair panel now????

Crap I need a couple of those door pieces...ARGH!!

94touring

I tell you what, its nice having a huge supply of mini panels at my disposal.  Find a rotten door, fix a rotten door same day!  I'll be awaiting your master order of all these panels you need  ;D

batman1usa

He fixes panels faster than rabbits reproduce.   73.gif

94touring

This project has been continually altered lol.  Sounds like it's not going to be green anymore and John the owner has been plugging away at it in his spare time. 

94touring

John gave up and 6 years later this car ended up back at my shop.  A couple years ago a guy
contacted me about needing a replacement shell, so this one came up.  He had some life events happen and the project was pushed off.  I actually assumed it was never going to happen, plus I'm trying to not do these anymore.  But this one is fairly straight forward and really only needs some minor metal work, a good cleaning, and a lot of sanding to knock down the green paint.  Then it goes off to Denver to be reassembled by the new owner.  Got it partially stripped and at least rolling around till Mark's Aussie is done. 

MiniDave

Will it be Apple Jack Green again?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Some kind of blue.  Riviera perhaps.  The car's original color was blue in a similar tint.   

Jimini II

I think that colour was called Java green.