THE BEST MINI TRAILER EVER!

Started by wevebeenhad, January 19, 2013, 07:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wevebeenhad

I am building the ultimate mini trailer.
Here is my progress.

wevebeenhad

First part is perimeter frame 6 (ish) by 10'.
Next is with cross members.

wevebeenhad

Next is the mock up of hitch attachment.

wevebeenhad

So to talk you through it. I am using 1 1/2'' by 2 1/2'' tubular steel. the frame is 71.5 inches rail to rail. Just under 6 ft. I did this so i didnt have to "custom" order the axel. As they have one in stock that fits 70 inch springs center.

I will post more as it progresses and the axel is on.

Future plans are:
axel , 3.5 k
surface area with expanded steel
lighting
paint.

I was thinking about getting wild and painting it white. I dont know why. Just thought it would be fun.
Once work is complete I will post as many details about weight of trailer and load capacity and all that.

Cheers.
Josh.

94touring

Cool  4.gif   Any way you could post bigger pics?

wevebeenhad

My phone apparently takes the biggest/ most megapixel pictures ever. So they where too large to upload. this was the adjusted by my phone size. I will see what I can do though.

wevebeenhad

MiniGene

Cool!  At first I was thinking that you were building a trailer to be pulled by your Mini.  I was thinking, "Man that is going to be the biggest Mini trailer ever."  It finally dawned on me that you were building a Mini 'hauling' trailer.  Duh! LOL!

Looks really good!  Is it going to be rail-less?  The rails on my trailer make it hard to get out of a Mini after you've driven it up there.

wevebeenhad

I was thinking w/ rails and add a winch to load the mini. Just to be snazzy. But also this will be a BINI trailer to Haul my mini! ahah I plan on using it behind my wife's BINI Countryman all 4.

94touring

Just edited the attachment size for you, should be good to go now.  Let me know if you still have problems. 

94touring

I saw you were looking for comments, concern, and critisism.  I'll start, lol.  I would cut an angle and reweld at spot number one, so spot number two is flush with the cross member, so you have more welded surface rather than just the bottom of the tube steal.  Next I would move the angle of those beams to the corner where the red circle is.  I'd have the end cut to form a triangle to fit the corner, giving you even more welded surface.  Wish I still worked autocad so I could just sketch it up.

Mudhen

Subscribe me to this thread - and don't forget some space for toolboxes and a rack for a few sets of rally tires!!

Sorry, thinking of myself again.  How cool will it be to tow your Mini with a Countryman...   4.gif 4.gif 4.gif

wevebeenhad

94 so here we go. I will be trimming, the metal to be flush with the crossmember. It is flush on the outside edge. The reason the angle is the way it is is due to the hitch mount. That is the widest and "recommended" max angle. The pieces connecting the hitch and the frame are the same length as the crossmembers. To in theory make an equalateral triangle. Would have worked if the hitch went big enough and the pieces where not pre cut.

I really feel that the welding surface will be plenty due to the size of the steel. If needed and possibly before i finish I will cap/ continue another piece of 1/8 inch by 1 1/2 down onto the crossmember. My buddy that builds industrial trucks thinks it will be plenty strong! Id think it will handle the immensely heavy load of a mini. haha.

Mudhen- do i need to subscribe you? and there will be room for tool rack, probably a contico (tough box) on the hitch frame. I like the  tires idea though!

Thanks guys.

Mudhen

Quote from: wevebeenhad on January 20, 2013, 04:38:08 PM
Mudhen- do i need to subscribe you? and there will be room for tool rack, probably a contico (tough box) on the hitch frame. I like the  tires idea though!

No...when I replied I subscribed...or I could have silently added myself but wanted to give you an 'atta boy' on the idea.

Love it.

(Although as a masochist I keep looking at old dump trucks and such that could be turned into antique rally car haulers.  Like I don't have enough on my plate.)

wevebeenhad

94touring

Yeah whenever you get it all finished up and have any kind of writeups, I can put it in the DIY section. 

wevebeenhad

I got really into the weeds on the project on mini mania. but here is the pseudo finished product. still have to paint her white.

wevebeenhad

Dan i am working on the write up for ya.

Mudhen