MIG spot welding questions

Started by Mudhen, December 30, 2012, 10:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Sorry for another noob question - but spot welding with my MIG isn't turning out the way I pictured in my head.  About 1-in-10 end up nice - smooth little button weld completely filling the hole I put in the panel.  But the rest of the time?  The hole might not be completely filled in...the weld puddle might have drooled out some, etc.

Do you guys always have nice smooth buttons?

If not, then after welding do you grind them down smooth?  Do you go over them with some sort of filler? (worried about water getting in to any nooks/crannies - or does the paint fill those in?)

Should I NEVER have a hole not completely filled in or just not worry about it?

Thanks again!!

94touring

I'm far from being a pro welder, so yes, there is grinding to clean things up.  I double check for any pin holes left behind and weld in.  Figure a skim coat of filler after its all said and done during the prep phase, you should be good to go.

Mudhen

When did Minis start having seam covers (or were they ever put on at the factory)?

94touring

I thought they always had seam covers?

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

Mudhen

All seams or just the upper ones?

94touring

They had the 4 seam covers on each corner, no gutter covers till later models, and the cill seam cover was a variety of trim pieces over the years.  I think that about covers it lol.