1965 Moke shaped rust pile.

Started by clm, September 21, 2012, 07:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clm

Not much of an update, but I got my 1100 engine home, it was raining so I sprayed out the ports with some good penetrating oil to keep everything good. I will likely swap tail housings on this transmission to the magic wand style so I can use it in the moke when the time comes, but I don't think I am going to do much else as it is supposed to be rebuilt and was a runner when the wagon was wrecked. It should do the 500 miles round trip to Bend Oregon for Mini Meet West :)

Chris

94touring

clm

YES! M-parts has taken my payment! :D  71.gif

Means I should have more panels soon  4.gif

71.gif 71.gif 71.gif

Chris

clm

..And the panels are in the mail!

While I am waiting I can draft up a wiring diagram for my moke a blank sheet!

Chris

94touring

There's just something about new panels!

clm

I know, it makes you giddy and makes your wallet weep!

I put the 1100 up on a work bench to see about swapping the tail housing and.. well I ran into another issue. It seems the transmission currently has a 4.27:1 final drive in it. That is not going to be usable on the 10's. So my next option is swapping gearboxes with the old 850 I had in my original mini which I brought home from my moms house a couple of days ago, It should be a much better ratio as the 850 didn't seem to be over-revving to go places. Oh.. and the transmission currently on the 1100 needs a new tail housing anyways... it was built up and painted with an enormous crack in the tail housing!

On the moke side of things I have been working on the pannier tops while I was waiting for the new panels to arrive.

They are almost ready but they were put on the back burner again because...

New Panels arrived!

Panels and brake parts!

Knowing me I had to go toss them on the Moke to see the nice new floor in-situ. Once that was over with I went and patched up the 6 incorrect holes in the floor and painted the inside of the rear subframe crossmember.

Seeing as those panels were there I realized I needed to get cracking on the rear hullsides so started on breaking down the last large section of the original moke. While cutting the floor out I was surprised to find the rear subframe mounts not welded to the subframe crossmember.

I originally decided to leave the rear wings on temporarily to add support so I wouldn't overly damage the rear hullsides and rear panel... until.. I realized the hullsides were not even welded to the rear panel! The only thing holding them together was the rear wings and the remnants of the floor. So off they came!

My current plan right now is to continue working on the inner hull sides until they are usable then start assembling the rear of the moke.

The condition they are in is really bad and I likely should just replace them instead of patching them, however if I can patch them while keeping certain things intact I can retain my datum points and know where they will have to go.

Until next time,

Chris

94touring

I think I see a panel van in there somewhere.

clm

You do!, although it is rather far down on my project list at the moment. It's in great condition... from about an inch above the seam line up... and it needs a whole new front bulkhead  ::)

Chris

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on March 28, 2013, 08:09:23 PM
I think I see a panel van in there somewhere.

Wow...good eye.

This is why I don't post a lot of pics around this place...I put up a pic from the garage and 94 says, 'hey, your wife might want to think about closing the blinds when she changes'...

I'm starting to think it might be a ton of fun to spend the day exploring Chris' place and seeing all the Mini related goodies that turn up.   ;D

clm

Eh.. the collection isn't all that impressive, most of it is junk really, I am trying to just get one nice shiny car together >.<

The 'Minis' I have

80 Leyland Van, needs a whole front bulkhead and floor
mk4 saloon shell of indeterminate age purchased to donate the floor and bulkhead to the van.. I paid $200 for it, much cheaper then the panels...
mk2 wagon shell I bought to reshell my 60 morris saloon and convert into a pickup
65 Moke "this thread"
61 Morris woody I bought for $500 that is slightly bent
60 saloon shell in decent shape that is likely going to be cut up to repair the woody and a friends 59 saloon, this shell was originally bought to reshell my 60 saloon into as it was correct, then I decided to make a pickup.

That would be 6 shells but only 4 dismantled cars with vins - Moke - Woody - 60saloonwagonpupthing - Van

Other then those Years ago I used to own a smooth roof tinny but it went to the scrappers when I had to move.

Along with those I have buckets and boxes of rusty scrap I refuse to throw out :)

Chris

Oh, yeah.. The van and mk4 saloon shell together are for sale if anyone is interested on one minor condition... I have to keep the load floor from it and you would get the load floor from my mk2 wagon  48.gif

clm

I am done with one of the hullsides, it needs some cleanup and welding on at this point. I think I even impressed myself with how it turned out seeing as it was the worst one of the two :)

It likely would have been easier to make a new one, but I don't have enough steel for it and this kept my datum points. The shock turrets are going to need work eventually but they will work for now. I literally had to replace the edge of the panel on 3 of it's 4 sides, the 4th got out easy because it had never been welded so really didn't have any rust (!)

First thing I did after deafening myself grinding down all the welds was try fitting the wing to it and.. surprise surprise.. It still fit nearly perfectly!

So I went and pulled the inner jig out of the moke so I could start fitting up panels to test the fit...

Which then had the pannier tops added... and then the rear wing. Wow I had one of these before... I think I cut it up because it was rusty! ;)

I need to get cracking on the other rear hullside next and once everything lines up to my satisfaction I can finish welding the moke together... For the most part. I will only be bolting the rear panel and the pannier sides on for now as I want to be able to get in there and do more work later.

Until next time
The Mad Moke Builder
Chris

Mudhen

I can't believe the progress you're making - awesome!

I'm no expert welder...but it seems to me like those welds could use a little more heat and a lot less wire.  That would save A LOT of cleanup time.

Watching one of my video's by Kevin Tetz he basically does just a spot weld even when he's not spot welding, joining panels.  Keeps the warpage down and you end up with a lot less cleanup.  What does the other side of that hullside look like?

(hopefully someone with more experience will jump in - you probably have more welding time than I do!)

Pat

Nicholasupton

When I first started welding, I was told that you either become good with a welder or good with a grinder :D

Wish I had time to help you chris, as with a stack of perfect body panels, and your jig,  I am sure we could have put the body together in a weekend with the spotwelder. Although I would have had to finally buy the extension to reach over 25 inches deep.

Humm I wonder what a complete stack of Moke panels from M-parts would cost, and if Chris would sell his jig.  36.gif

clm

Oh well, it is what is is and it will be what it will be. I have no plans to sell it so I just have to be satisfied with it how it turns out... By the way, how did the rear number plates come along? I haven't heard anything since I sent mine out to you many months back and I may have a spot to put one soon.... ;)

As for the jig, eh.. The main lower part I planned to re purpose to help me put together a couple LWB mini shells once the moke was usable,  the inner part eh, not so sure.

Chris

clm

Well, since my last post I managed to rebuild the other rear hullside and remaining issues I had with the pannier tops.

I then set to jigging up everything I could to see what I needed to do to start welding it. As I was happy with the location of the load floor channel that attaches to the heelboard I did a few stitch welds as I don't have access to the bottom right now to weld it properly. I also welded the two load floor corner supports to the rear hullsides when they were in the right place.

Once everything was primed, the load floor channel tacked, the braces installed and the pannier tops ready, I started my honest to goodness assembly so I could proceed towards welding everything together.  The hullsides got the top half of where they lap welded, I will need to pull the floor out one more time to finish them.

Then I started on the RH pannier top. Out of curiosity I laid a straight edge from side to side and.. well, I was surprised on how level they already were.

LH

RH

I have the LH side to weld up tomorrow and hopefully more of the rear section. It's definitely not perfect. But it is going together well enough that I should get many decades of use out of the old moke :)

I am very happy that every day it seems to be racing towards being able to be removed from the jig and bolted to some subframes, It is an amazing transformation from..

to this.

And just because I felt like it, here is a bit of a jumpy walk around video taken with my Phone. It's definitely  a moke again and no longer a pile of panels! :D

(it's a movie click on the picture above)

Moking Right Along
Chris

94touring

Its impressive to say the least.

biketesting

I 36.gift is starting to look like a moke again.
Disregard all the above text, it is flatulence (still)

clm

Hey all, and thank you for the comments!

Like I mentioned last time I got both pannier tops welded in and then decided to seam weld the joint between the pannier top and the heelboard, It tuned out rather nice if I do say so myself... seeing as I had to cut out the seam weld massage panels around a bit more and then re-weld it. I didn't like how the pannier top was not lining up with the rear inner hull sides to my satisfaction.. And after fixing it and doing a bit of dress work I think it was work well spent!

Along with that I was able to start tossing paint on the front subby as it has finally returned from the sand blaster and now is looking nice.

while digging around at moms house I found the seat I think I will use for a bit, it came from and is the only remaining part from a Honda FL400 Pilot. It's very comfortable but.. that blue is very loud!

this morning when I got up I continued welding as I have been known to do lately and finished welding as much of the load floor in as I can reach from the top, more of the pannier tops, and fully welded on the LH rear wing after checking for true and square... Yes the little chair was what I used inside the moke to drill and weld the front of the load floor without having my legs go numb :p

This thing seems closer and closer every day but yet further and further away, every job makes two more it seems. For example, I dug out my manifold and parts for the 1 1/2 SU I picked up recently.. and the only abutment plate I seem to have is this ugly thing... So now I need gaskets, spacer, and abutment plate before I can use this on the 1100... oh joy.

Until next time.
Friendly Neighborhood Rusty Moke Nut.
Chris

clm

Well, just a quicky update this time, most of my work was fairly non-photogenic. I welded up the last rear wing and a portion of the RH pannier top, followed by cleaning up the edges of the pannier tops so I could Ospho them before priming. Once that was done I started cleaning up several bits that I will need to reuse like the rear seat outer front mounts, a reat top bow bracket and the rear panel. After doing some preliminary hammering on the rear panel I took and stuck it on the back of the moke as a test fit. It seems to look ok!

And then it hit me.. the urge to full blown mock-up... I couldn't help myself D:

It still needs a fair amount of welding under the front wings but it is ALMOST ready to leave the jig for the last time!

Woohoooo!

I might do more welding tonight >.<

The owner of a "rusty POS terd of moke" that is making a comeback
Chris

clm

Back with another update! The Jig has been discarded! Err.. But first...

I had to work on the back panel so I could clean it up and bolt it on (yeah not weld, I plan to replace it in the future). Then last night I finished off my welding to the front flitch panels so the front was strong enough to be removed, I still need to weld along the front of the toeboard but had no access on the jig.

Let me just say... welding overhead under a fende... err.. wing is not fun! You tend to get hot burning sensations... often!

Oh I also received a bit to help out the wiring, my relays I had ordered and a bag of Lucas solder-less bullet connectors for my lights. Wheeee!

But where were we.. oh yeah...

IT'S OFF THE JIG! Yay Woohoo  71.gif  22.gif  4.gif *cough cough* Well now I can get to other spots that need work and assemble the side boxes :)

I will likely work on this side first and then move over to the other side to finish it off then drop it on subframes.

Until next time,
Chris

clm

Minor update today... only because I forgot to take more pictures :D

I did quite a bit of welding on the RH side of the moke today completely building up the battery box and rest of that pannier side with the exception of the side cover, that will only be bolted on for now.

I also had to find a cone compressor to build up my front subframe, I managed to find a 14mm x 2mm pitch bolt long enough to install a cone in a subframe. $3.60 was MUCH cheaper then a real one :p

Tomorrow I plan to build up the pannier box on the LH side of the moke and several other projects including finishing the welding on the toeboard and heelboard, and it may even go so far as to building the panel I need to install the rear seats! Pfft who needs rear seats anyways ;)

Untill next update
The Manic Moker
Chris

clm

It has been a few tiring days since my last post, as I stated I intended to build up the other pannier side. This required first grinding off all the welds where the tank cover bolts so I could bolt it on and square everything up.

Once the cover was in place I drilled out the heelboard for the fasteners and tack welded the divider in place in line with the cover. Once that was done I lined up the new floor so I could make matching holes in the new floor section and once everything was lined up it got welded into the dividers and the floor followed with the outer sill panel being welded on.

I also bodged the engine steady back together at that point... I used a section of 1/8 inch plate to form a triangular gusset and seam welded everything together, it was an awkward weld to do buried in the engine bay but it appears well strong enough.

And then proceeded to create a hole in the ozone layer putting Rustoleum automotive primer on the bottom of the moke.

This primer, while cheap seems to hold up well, I have some on the A post of my van which has been out in the weather for almost two years with no rust.

Next step is to do was start bolting things on... !!!

OMG It's on wheels (well two of them..)

Oh and the battery box looks good :)

Working on assembling the front end right now along with soo many other things... >.<

Chris

Mudhen

Quote from: clm on April 14, 2013, 01:43:44 AM

OMG It's on wheels (well two of them..)

Chris

OH YA!!!!   4.gif

That's gotta be a great feeling!

clm

Especially when you remember what I started with 2 months ago!

Thanks Mudhen :)

Chris

94touring

That's great!  Amazing job over that period of time.