Rear brakes

Started by biketesting, July 26, 2012, 12:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biketesting

Hey Mini Mania are finally sending my stuff! 50.gif live and learn I guess.
Disregard all the above text, it is flatulence (still)

94touring

Mudhen

Quote from: biketesting on August 17, 2012, 09:15:17 AM
Hey Mini Mania are finally sending my stuff! 50.gif live and learn I guess.

I think of it like a waiting period to buy a handgun...they give you time to think it over and cancel when you get buyers remorse.   ::)

94touring

Get your parts yet? 

biketesting

Most of them have shown up. Still missing the brake springs and one of the caliper seal kits. My local parts guy will fill in the missing stuff so I can get going on the brakes. Lucky for me he is a big Moss dealer and seems to know mini's pretty well.

Hercplt

That dash you have in there is very cool... very Italian, and perhaps not standard... but worth keeping....   4.gif
1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

biketesting

Standard 1973 Innocenti, in my 1966 Morris Cooper S:) ;D

biketesting

OK brakes are done. Yeah that took a bit, of course I did go to Nepal in the mean time. Just like Bob Seger I went to Katmandu.

Looking at my two engines I see many issues coming up. I have the "original" motor which came from the car, it is an Innocenti motor from 1974 and it was a good fit for the car since it fit. The other motor is also a 1275GT motor but it has come from a car with the rubber couplings and I was told it is a good motor. Whatever that means.

I am reluctant to spend much time on either, thinking I should just get a good drive train from someone who has a good reputation. Where do I go? BTW great new logo!

94touring

Good good, and thanks, Dooder made the logo.

Mudhen

Quote from: biketesting on December 05, 2012, 03:26:31 PM
OK brakes are done. Yeah that took a bit, of course I did go to Nepal in the mean time. Just like Bob Seger I went to Katmandu.

Looking at my two engines I see many issues coming up. I have the "original" motor which came from the car, it is an Innocenti motor from 1974 and it was a good fit for the car since it fit. The other motor is also a 1275GT motor but it has come from a car with the rubber couplings and I was told it is a good motor. Whatever that means.

I am reluctant to spend much time on either, thinking I should just get a good drive train from someone who has a good reputation. Where do I go? BTW great new logo!

I'm in the same situation as the 1098 that came with my car needs rebuilding but I'm not sure it's worth it.  Googling around some and the big names pop up - MED, Bill Richards, Swiftune...crap, that stuff is a lot more than I paid for my whole car!  Once again wishing I was in England so I could swing by and chat.  A local place to me has a great reputation for engine building - but are they really 'A' series people?  Doubtful...thinking maybe 7 at this point...at least to have a baseline to start with, and a US one at that.

Please keep us informed with your decisions!

Pat

biketesting

Saw that Swiftune site and am drooling

Mudhen

Quote from: biketesting on December 07, 2012, 12:05:33 PM
Saw that Swiftune site and am drooling

Amen to that.  If only I'd won Powerball last week...

So many things I have no clue about - could have just written a check and had everything built and delivered.   ::)

biketesting

I found an old registration in my car from 1985. It was still legible so I looked up the owner, and called him. So glad I did, he was super happy to hear about his old car. He bought it in Italy new in 1967. It was originally a cooper s put together at the innocenti factory. He said it was green when it was new. He painted it the current color, and did all of the modifying. He moved back from Italy with this car and three others, all minis. He sold two and kept this one and a mini woody. After he retired from the Air Force he moved and eventually sold this car. I sent him some pictures of how it looks now. He helped me to understand what all he had changed on the car.

94touring

Wow that's incredible you were able to get ahold of the guy!

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

biketesting

OK who should I buy the floor pans from? 1966 Cooper S, I am guessing it deserves some good panels. Also a question about the gas tanks, any input on a good way to clean these out and get them sealed? It has the original right tank and an Innocenti on the left side, but both seem to be a little weepy. 8.gif

Mudhen

Quote from: biketesting on February 01, 2013, 01:40:26 PM
Also a question about the gas tanks, any input on a good way to clean these out and get them sealed? It has the original right tank and an Innocenti on the left side, but both seem to be a little weepy. 8.gif
Haven't had to do it yet...but my current plan is to use the POR kit...

http://search.eastwood.com/search?asug=&w=gas+tank&p=Q&ts=custom

Maybe someone that has actually used it will respond.

94touring

biketesting

Thanks guys I am looking into both! Updates to follow!