looking for 12" tires

Started by wfothrottle, October 22, 2012, 05:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfothrottle

i live in southern california and i'm looking for some 12" tires. does anyone have a source that's not $100 a pop?

Mudhen

Tire Rack lists a couple.  A 145 for $52 and a 165 for $66...plus shipping.

Not sure what width rim and sidewall you need, though.  Hopefully someday I'll be searching for some 12"ers too....someday.

94touring

I was gona suggest tire rack also.  Sometimes gbcarparts or minisport has good prices too. 

wfothrottle

i searched tire rack, and came up with nothing.............was able to find them this time though.
THANX!!!!! this is much better

MPlayle

The 145 & 165 tires at TireRack.com may not actually fit.  The 145SR12 is the same as 145/80/12 which has a 21.13" rolling diameter.  The 165/70/12 has a 21.09" rolling diameter.  These may rub the rear swing-arm and/or outer swing-arm mount plate.

To find out, carefully measure the distance from the rear hub center to the trailing edge of the outer swing arm mount plate.  This distance needs to be slightly greater than 1/2 the total rolling diameter of the wheel/tire combo to avoid rubbing.  The plate edge can be ground down slightly to provide a very small amount of more clearance.  The other place to check for rubbing is where the curve of the swing-arm blends into the hinge-axis (the inner leading edge of the tire).

Sometimes the 165/70/12 will just fit and other times it rubs.

Alex

If you still need 12" rubber, try www.minimal-motoring.com usually in stock and pretty much unbeatable prices on tyres.