CV Boot Replacement

Started by macmanron, April 08, 2009, 08:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macmanron

I was looking over the mini to see if there was anything that needed attention before the mini50, and Surprise!!!! My right CV boot is split! I was on that "other" forum and read this: Quote: ( Im not shure what joint I have but ive done both left and right side boots and just undid the lard nut in the middle of the hub, top ball joint and pushed the hub assmbly down so the shaft comes off the hub (still in , in gearbox end) pull the pot/cv joint? off at the splinboot on then complete reverse for reinstall. works a charm over in less than 10mins with no rusty bolts or nuts )

Can anyone confirm this???? Also, is this boot something special, or can one be had at a local auto supply store? I don't mind ordering one, but if there was an easier way I would do that, as long as the quality would be good. Thanks, quick responses are welcomed!! Ron J.

Anyone using these super heavy duty ones that Seven is selling???
http://www.7ent.com/detail.cfm?pageid=3323
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

Not sure about it taking just ten minutes, I've always struggled getting the axles pulled out, balls joints always stuck, and the nut holding it all together takes a lot of leverage to untorqe the bastard.  Don't forget to torque it to factory specs when you reassemble.  So long as you buy a boot that fits and you have a clamp that holds it in place, no need to buy a mini boot.  I'm sure you can find a quick replacement at the autostore if you take the old one in to compare.     

mascher

The quote from the "other" forum sounds like they are changing the inner pot joint boot. If you're changing the outer CV joint boot these instructions are a good first step. You then have to remove the outer CV from the driveshaft. This can be done by removing or pulling back the CV boot, holding driveshaft with the CV hanging down, with your arm across your chest. With your other hand strike the back side of the CV joint with a plastic dead-blow hammer. Be sure to put something down for the CV to land on so that it doesn't get damaged. Your foot is not a good option. Sometimes removal is easy, rarely it's impossible.

Cheers,

Kelley

Hayman9644

I just did this on my car the left side litterly took 30 minutes or less to break it all down.  The right side however was a total pain.  I had to buy a tie rod/ball joint press to get it broken down.  It was a total pain.  And on the boots the outer one was fairly easy to get at a local shop that rebuilds cv joints but the inner one that he tried to talk me into using wouldnt keep the band on.  And the oil seal I could get from Oriellys but it was 13 bucks for one.  Long story short I ended up ordering boots and seals from mini spares.  What I thought would be a saturday job has ended up being a three week disaster not to mention all the trips to all the seal places parts stores and the cv rebuild place.