Brake banjo bolt - help

Started by ADRay, March 21, 2024, 06:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

Hi all, my refurb project is at the brake line phase. All buttoned up with new wheel cylinders. The last element I'm having a hard time with is the banjo bolt that's mounted on the right side of the front subframe. I am reusing all of the existing fittings and pipes, with the exception of new copper crush washers, the larger one on top (as it was when I removed it). The car is an 82 with the front-to-rear brake system with a front disc conversion.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why is leaking. I have the assembly stacked properly according to diagrams and how it was setup when I removed it  hose nut attached firmly, and the banjo as well.

I also searched the forum and the web (specifically for the Mini setup) and found little or nothing.

Hoping someone has some insight. Thanks.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MPlayle

Did you replace the flex line the banjo bolt is going into?

I had the same issue a while back on one of my Minis.  I found the new washers were slightly thinner than the old ones and the banjo bolt was just barely bottoming out before securing the washers.  I played with the washers and a sealing washer (the kind with the rubber center) in the stack, but do not remember what order I used.

If you have a another of the thicker copper washers, try replacing the thinner with a second thick one.

MiniDave

Are you sure that's where it's leaking, not from one of the lines?

If so Like Michael says, make sure the banjo bolt isn't bottoming out in the line. If you don't have thicker washers, you can also file 1/16" off the bottom of the banjo bolt so it's not hitting the bottom.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

thanks for the replies.

I'm reusing the existing Goodridge braided brake hose. and the old banjo. Only using new washers. Confirmed it's leaking from the banjo bolt, not the lines.

Makes sense about the bolt not seating. Luckily I ordered several washers. I'll try the thicker washer.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

You can double them up also....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

If you double up the washers, do so only on the bottom.  Only use 1 thick washer at the top to keep the channel in the fitting aligned with the holes in the banjo bolt.

ADRay

Thanks for the tips. I was curious about being able to stack them.

I swapped out the smaller lower washer with another top one. Bled the whole system and Bob is my uncle.

Now to deal with the one joint that is leaking before I can call it done.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

tmsmini

Isn't one of the hoses deeper for the banjo joint side?

MPlayle

Quote from: tmsmini on March 22, 2024, 07:33:35 AMIsn't one of the hoses deeper for the banjo joint side?

At one time they were, but not anymore.  The last time I replaced the front flex lines the same part number was listed for both left and right sides.  That was when I had to play with the washers in the same manner as ADRay.