re-Packing bearings

Started by macmanron, March 28, 2012, 11:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macmanron

Getting the mini ready for the long trip from Delaware to North Carolina, for the mini53, and I want to re-pack the bearings. What's the best way to do this?? Also, anything else you guys like to look over before a long trip?
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

I imagine repacking is just like initial packing...pack them good!  Haha.  If you've never packed bearings before you cram/shove the grease into the bearings. 

Other items for a trip...all I use to do was just bring a lot of tools, fluids, and a small gas can for running out of gas out west. 

MiniGene

Ditto on what Dan said. Make sure you clean them good and replace if there is any pitting. You cram the grease into every part of the bearing with the palm of your hand. Its a messy but kind of fun job.

biketesting

We manufacture bearings. I don't know anything about mini wheel bearings. Are they ball bearing or roller? 8.gif
Disregard all the above text, it is flatulence (still)

94touring

I've only ever seen the roller type, but maybe there are ball bearings types out there too.