Author Topic: Rally Mini Build  (Read 27339 times)

Offline Mudhen

Re: Rally Mini Build
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 05:19:23 AM »
You f'ers!   :D

I'm seriously considering chopping off those sills again...and this stupid bodger box...now... 36.gif

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2014, 09:11:11 AM »
I can bend it...I can fish-mouth it...

Fits nice:

Now the question is if I can weld it while lying in the car on my back with the foot pedal between my knees.  :(

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2014, 03:47:10 PM »
I also cut blanks and fill holes.

It's what I do.

Are these holes from the manufacturing process?  Do you typically fill them in?  The only reason I'm going it is because I saw Kevin Tetz do it...no idea if it's right or wrong.

Offline 94touring

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
Your pipe bender looks fun. 

The holes you're talking about, are they they drain plugs on the floor?

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2014, 07:13:36 AM »
Your pipe bender looks fun. 

The holes you're talking about, are they they drain plugs on the floor?

I guess.  My '65 had rubber/plastic plugs in them, but this car seems to have metal ones.  Some are held in place by little tabs but others look to be press fit.  My thought is if they're out, I'm welding them up.  If they're still in place with no rust around them I'm leaving them.  That might change when I see how it looks since there won't be any interior in the car covering them up.

The other update on this project is I heard back from the engine shop.  They said everything seems ok - block, crank, head - no cracks, etc.  When I bought the car the PO said I would probably need to sleeve one of the cylinders since one of the pistons melted, but I guess that's not the case.  They said .020 would be fine.  But do I want to put money into an 1100?

Here's the estimate (just for the machine shop work - parts and assembly would be my responsibility):

Vizard and another write up I found online says it's possible to go to 1220cc with IMP pistons.  Sounds fun, but again...do I really want to spend that on an 1100...and I'm a little worried about buying a bunch of stuff online and putting it together myself - what about 'balancing', etc?  I've always heard, 'balanced and blueprinted' blah, blah, blah.  How much of a beating is it going to take using stock parts?

MED has some sweet looking Omega +.020 pistons...$600, though.

I'm really not qualified to piece it together myself - I'm sure it would end up being one of those, 'why did you do X without doing Y?  You should have bought this and this and this and had the machine shop do that'.

Oh well...really won't be needing an engine anytime soon but figured it would be nice to have an idea where I'm heading...

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2014, 02:20:58 PM »
Did a bunch of sandblasting today.  The trouble with dragging my feet so much is that stuff I sandblast starts to rust again before I get another burst of steam...even with a dehumidifier running in the garage.  About to start a new job where I'll be working from home full time - maybe I can pick off little bits and keep moving.

Cut out this section of the footwell for another patch:

And got a surprise from brown Santa!

Also found a shop an hour from me that stocks some race seats - will be picking up these cheapy steel frame Cobra's:

Sucks that the pair is going to cost me what I paid for the whole car... 50.gif

Also got a supplier for steel - will be reinforcing the tunnel and crossmember, suspension pickup points, etc, per the How to Modify Your Mini book...and they also can get the 1.75" and 1.5" tube for the FIA-spec cage.   77.gif

Eventually.

Offline 94touring

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
You need to expoxy sealer after you get it to bare metal buddy!  Did the sub frame and panels make it ok?

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »
You need to expoxy sealer after you get it to bare metal buddy!  Did the sub frame and panels make it ok?

I've yet to pop my epoxy sealer cherry...bought a quart awhile back just haven't tried it in my gun yet.  I'm scared...

Got 'em!  Need to dig under the tarp outside and bring in the old subby and start stripping it down.  That will be another first - dry suspension?  Silly... ;D

Offline 94touring

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »
Ok good.  I had to strategically put those skin patch panels in there.   My concern was they'd come loose and get crushed by the subby.

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »
Got the patch on the front corner finished up:

And put a coat of POR on it as well as the drain holes and other welds I'd sandblasted.  Also beat the footwell back into shape so it sits flat again.  I hate how I can't get it perfect - not that it matters for this car, but if I was doing the '65 I would be really disappointed with it not coming out like new.

I've also been looking at all the tabs for holding things under the car - brake lines, etc.  They look like crap, I need my bottom smooth so she glides through the gravel with less resistance.  Last night I was GUI (Grinding Under the Influence) and since everything will be inside, anyway, I took care of that situation:

Nothing better than a smooth bottom.

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »
Had a breakthrough last night...

My HF blast cabinet was always frustrating me - blast for a few minutes and you couldn't see the part anymore.  Wait a few minutes for the dust to settle, blast some more.  So the other day I was watching a video from Eastwood and they mentioned the exhaust port on their cabinet...man, do I have one of those?  No dust collection system anyway.

But it seems the stars aligned this once for me.  My exhaust fan for the paint booth is above the blast cabinet.  Bazinga!  Climbed up and took the end out of the ceiling of the booth and stuck it on the cabinet:

Blast away!  No more dust inside, and no more dust escaping into the garage.   4.gif

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
Picking away on this...was psyched I got some primer on some of it...until it hit me that I mixed it wrong.   50.gif

This is why it's better for me to just leave it - when I actually do something it's usually wrong.  HA!  Pissah.

I'd spent the last month or so stripping from A pillar to A pillar around the back down to metal - was just going to do the roof but it was so much fun I didn't want to stop.  Used a combination of 60, 80, 220 grit discs...sandblasted the seams...and a whole lot of bleeding fingers.  Next time, send it out!

I looked on Auto Body Toomart for some etching primer and thought I'd check my local parts place - 'etching primer in a gallon?  inconceivable!  But we can get sealer primer'.  So I ended up with this:

Sounded good, can do it all.  Mix it one way and it's a high build, mix it another and it's regular build...then mix it a third way and it's primer sealer.  Perfect...

Got up early this morning before the kids got up and hit the garage - I'll bust out the primer sealer, mix another batch for the high build...done before I get the 12yo on the bus at 6:45.  Yikes - took way more time than I could have imagined, just to get the primer sealer done.  But, 30min to 24 hours to top coat, will do high build tonight.  Wasn't until later when I replaying it in my head - FK!!  I mixed it 4:1:1, not 4:1:2 - that's just regular build primer!!!

So what do I do now?  Happy that at least it looks primered:

Think I should still do high build over it?  At this point I'm thinking just throw some guide coat on it, sand, and start with the filler...AFTER I do the front end, with the proper mix...  50.gif

Look at that roof...f'in joke.  Man...  :(

Offline 94touring

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »
Whoops  :-[