Mini Identification

Started by Mudhen, March 13, 2012, 02:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Hey guys,

As the process of stripping down my project (or what is being referred to in my house as 'the new old Mini') continues, I'm trying to work out what year it is.  I believe it's a fake/gray mkt/mongrel, or whatever you'd like to call it.  The ad on Craigslist said it was a 1980, but there are too many later things on it I think - namely 12" wheels with the bigger brakes, in addition to the missing VIN plate clearly missing from the right hand flitch panel.

Are there any clues other than those to narrow down the post-84 years?  I was trying to figure out the 'combined brake master and servo' looks like - supposedly that was added in 1988.  Haven't been able to figure it out, though.

I was told the motor was an 850 - but the plate is still on it and I'm pretty sure I can make out '10H791' - which makes it an 1100 Clubman motor.  I'll take it!  Of course, it's all in pieces and I was told one of the cylinders is scored badly...and the one piston I've seen looks like the top is melted over at the top..  :-\

Thanks,

Pat

94touring

Now I'm really curious for some pics.  Well the wheels and brakes are one way, though if there was in fact some kind of engine swap its possible all that came from a later model during the swap.  The brake master servo configuration like you mentioned.  What does the interior look like?  Side repeaters on the wings?  Any original paint on it somewhere?  You can also look into things like the wiper motor id numbers or check for stamped numbers on the inner right wing, which I believe was an inno thing but I could be wrong.   

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on March 13, 2012, 08:05:08 AM
Now I'm really curious for some pics.  Well the wheels and brakes are one way, though if there was in fact some kind of engine swap its possible all that came from a later model during the swap.  The brake master servo configuration like you mentioned.  What does the interior look like?  Side repeaters on the wings?  Any original paint on it somewhere?  You can also look into things like the wiper motor id numbers or check for stamped numbers on the inner right wing, which I believe was an inno thing but I could be wrong.

Just looked and there are no holes in the wings for repeaters...when were they added?  Seems like I'm solidly in the Mk V category...

94touring

In 86.  So maybe it really is an 80 with extras added on over the years. 

MPlayle

Check for the date code on the boot latch mechanism.  Should be in the form Week/Year and give a reasonable ballpark for year of manufacture.

I'd recommend staying with the current big disk brakes and 12" wheels.

Mudhen

Quote from: MPlayle on March 13, 2012, 07:32:18 PM
Check for the date code on the boot latch mechanism.  Should be in the form Week/Year and give a reasonable ballpark for year of manufacture.

I'd recommend staying with the current big disk brakes and 12" wheels.

That's a cool one - of all the sites I've looked for ID info on none had that!  Ok, so mine says 32/5 - think that's 1985 then?

Stumbled on this info on MiniMania:

'In August 1979, the second special edition (and the first of the anniversary specials) made its appearance as the 1100 S LE or the 1100 Special. It was kind of a cross between a round nose Mini and a Clubman. The Clubman 1098cc engine made its only appearance in an English built round nose and the 1275GT's instruments were used on the inside.

Also, starting in 1979, the alphabet and name changes took off. The Mini 1000 became the Super. The City was introduced. The Super became the HL, or City. The City became the E. The HL to the HLE and then the HLE became the Mayfair all by October 1982. It was confusing then and is still confusing today!

The next special edition showed up in October 1983: the Mini Sprite LE. (Not to be confused with the 1992 base model Mini also called the Sprite.) It was followed by the second of the anniversary specials, the Mini 25 LE in June 1984. The Mini 25 is important because it introduced the major changes that would be standard on almost all Minis from Mk V on, and really fits into the Mk V realm; although, the Mk IV Minis continued on until October 1984, when the 25's introduced changes became standard.'

Maybe the 1100 motor really does belong to this car and it's a 1980 like the documentation states (still waiting to get that, so not exactly sure if it's an official title or just an old bill of sale or what.  Plus with the missing VIN plate I really won't know if it truly belongs to this car anyway).  I thought my dash was an aftermarket thing...will look around to see what the 1275GT instruments looked like...wish I hadn't let the PO keep the speedometer...  50.gif

MPlayle

Most likely an 85 that has had an engine transplant at some point.  The 1100 engines are supposed to be very solid.  Power lands nicely between the 998 and 1275, reliability/endurance more to the 998 side (better than the 1275 - the 998s are considered near "bullet proof").

The dash is definitely an aftermarket item.  It used the standard center speedometer.  The 1275GT gauges where 3 equal sized in front of the driver - speedometer, tachometer and combo fuel/temp/warning-lights.

Mudhen

I got the paperwork from the previous owner and it looks like a real official UK registration certificate...says first registration was 7/3/1980, and that it's an Austin Morris Mini Special...2 door saloon, 1098cc.  The engine number matches my engine.

One odd thing is that it states the color is blue...so maybe this certificate actually goes with my roof not the rest of the car.  Will have to ask the PO.

There's a guy in Ireland selling one with 6k miles on it ( http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C275979 )...he said when he gets it out of storage he'll take some pics of the engine bay - if the VIN plate is on the right side I think that would be proof enough for me.  But then what?  Bragging rights?  or should I not trash it with a cage, etc?

MPlayle

That paperwork may have come from the car the engine was from.  The "1100 Special" came in only 2 colors: the rose as in the ad you linked and a silver with the same style decal stripes.  They did not come from the factory as blue.

Although, the British paperwork will carry forward any color change.  On the first transfer of color change, it will note it as such.  From then on, it may or may not list the new color as a "change".  That may explain the blue color listed.  It does not explain the obvious red (not rose) of the body you have, which appears to be original from the consistency in several of the pictures on your other thread.

I suspect a "bitsa" Mini: bit of this car, bits of that ...

Prime candidate material for your plans of a rally replica.

Mudhen

'bitsa' - never heard that one before... 22.gif

I was thinking I might try to go register it now...see if everything goes ok before too much time goes by (not sure what I'd do, anyway...send it back?).  Getting freaked out by some of the threads over on minimania - people getting busted at car shows and such.  Sure would suck to get it going and then not be able to get it on the road - or worse, have it impounded or something.

94touring

I wouldn't sweat it, its not fuel injected and obviously been pieced and picked apart.   The beauty of minis is making them look however you like.

MPlayle

Also, most of the impounding happens either at the port (US Customs) or in California - the strictest on registrations.  Most states follow the federal 25 year ruling.  California has made their registration rules more strict.  California is also clamping down hard on ALL questionable cars, not just Minis.  It just seems like many Minis because you're on forums where those are the focus.  The member on Mini Mania that goes by the name GTA something is in law enforcement and its his job to impound improper cars.  He also is an avid Mini enthusiast.  He has posted that he sometimes regrets that aspect of his job, but he is also quite helpful in trying to assist people with avoiding such issues whenever possible.

As Dan states, yours should be no sweat.  It is obviously a "bitsa" being rebuilt.  Since I don't think you're in California, even less chances of there being any issue.  Just be sure to take all the paperwork with you (retaining a copy of everything for your own files) and be polite in asking what they need in order to make the process go smooth and easy for them and you.  (DMV is one place I have found being over prepared and patiently, but firmly "smoozing" them in the desired direction gets the job done.)

Mudhen

Cool, thanks guys.  I feel better.

Maine goes with the 25 year rule - so I won't need to produce a title or anything.  And I think it will all be done at my local town office - I won't have to go to the state DMV office.  Those ladies love me down there...especially the one that spent a half hour looking up 'Husaberg' last fall - somehow my bike came out with a Husqvarna registration.   :D