Joltfreak's monster mini build.

Started by joltfreak, January 13, 2012, 05:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joltfreak

O.k.
this has been a long time coming......
we started this build late 2009. This was a build that was for a buddy of mine but i now own this mini and will be finishing it. so i figured that i would post the building of it.

The project is to put a chevy 350cubic inch (5.7) engine in the middle and cross ways using the power train from a pontiac fiero that we were given back in the early summer 2009.

here what we started with

the doner

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

joltfreak

we built a new chassis and roll cage using a gutted body by rust and have fitted the engine and transmission.

the original back half of the mini shell will mount to the frame using dzeus clips. just like a removable front end on a mini but, on the back!

joltfreak

FINALLY GOT THE REAR SUSPESION SET UP

joltfreak

Going to use the fiero brakes to start the caliper are single piston but aliminum with solid rotors and a power booster from the fiero also should be more than enough braking power.

front suspentiontacked in to check fit.

joltfreak

Firewall

Rear suspention

the underside & frame welding is done (before paint)

The weight of the chassis is160 LBS in the rear and  170 LBS in the front.  Total 330 LBS

joltfreak

joltfreak

we ditched the fiberglass and when for an all metal body

the roof/hood scoop and rear wing were made using the roof from my green mini when i cut it out to do the carbon fiber roof!

joltfreak

It a roller:

found some old speed parts for the chevy and wondered what they would look like in the mini ,so we put the set engine back in to see.

joltfreak

some more pics:

interior shot:

how it currently looks:

joltfreak

the motor has been removed (for another project) and i will be doing the 6 hour drive tomorrow to pick it up from buddy and bring it home to my garage to finish.

94touring

Wow man, and you're just now showing this off!? 

joltfreak

well, up until a little while go....i wasn't sure if i was going to end up buying it and finishing it.

my neighbour also gave me a complete 327 small block to rebuild and use for this project!!! 4.gif

94touring

Any estimate when you'll finish?  I guess you intend to race it.

joltfreak

i'll be taking my time with the motor once i get it to the machine shop to get it checked out and plan out what i will do it.

this will a road legal car but it may see a track every once in a while....

my wife wants to drive it!!!

94touring

joltfreak

well, the  mini is now safely tucked away in my garage and i will need to take the block down to the machine shop to make sure that it is suitable for rebuilding and k need to start collecting the parts that i need for it. its been a while since i worked on s GM smallblock.....i need to some research to kick start my memory :-[

batman1usa

joltfreak

been workin out of town for the last while but i've collected some bits that i need. I'll need to see how much funds i got kicking and i might get my heads and block down to the shop to make sure that it is suitable for rebuilding.

joltfreak

Dropped the motor off at the shop to get stripped down, cleaned and magnafluxed to see if it will be a suitable canadate for rebuilding.......................................now i wait 50.gif

94touring

Can't wait to see what you end up with. 

joltfreak

well since the weather was decent, and i'm itching to do something while the motor is out at the shop. i decided to coat the whole exhaust and wrap the headers:

joltfreak

just got a call from the shop.
and its all good!
i'll be heading down there to plan out what we'll be doing next!! 4.gif

94touring

joltfreak

while we planned what we are doing with the motor. i had an old pair of alloy valve covers that looked like crap! so i sand blasted them and shined them up a bit. i wish i took pics of what they started like.
here is what it looked like after blasting them:

after a bit of shining up:

i think that they will come out nice: