~ ~ Primer ~ ~

Started by batman1usa, April 06, 2009, 04:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batman1usa

Is there a good rattle can primer that I can spray on in the garage?  or should I get  me a inexpensive cup/gun and do it that way?  I'm guessing you can get the epoxy primer in a rattle can?

JD
Batman

94touring

You just have to be carefull with the ratttle can products, as they aren't always the highest of quality and sometimes don't provide a good base once you decide to actually spray from a gun.  I've heard you can run into problems with adhesion once you decide to spray top coat.  You're best bet is to just get a cheap gun to spray primer, since the initial coat doesn't have to be anything fancy.  On bare metal I liked to start with acid etch primer, then go to filler primer using a 1.7mm tip.  The filler primer gets sanded down and you do all your prep during that phase.  When its finally ready to spray top coat I'd go to my expensive 1.3 tip gun and spray the sealer primer, followed by top coat using the same gun.   

ScottRT

You can buy  a large rattle can of 2-part epoxy primer. It has a special tit on the bottom of the can the you use to break an internal reservoir that releases the catalyst into the mix. It is pretty darn good stuff, cost about $20 per can, has great coat thickness, is an off-white color, has a pot life of 4 days after being 'activated', and should be available at any real auto paint supplier.

This sounds like just what you need.

Scott T.

jeff10049

My thoughts would be to get a cheap gun for primer that way you can mix it up as needed not have to buy a can each time you need some or have a time limit. epoxy primer is the best corrosion protection you can do your filler work on top of it or on the bare steel before.  The next best if you don't go epoxy would be a light coat of acid etch, don't do filler work over it and don't put it over filler its just for biting into the bare steel. Any of the above should be followed up with a 2k high build primer that you will block down you can top coat right on the 2k high build primers some spray a sealer first. You can spray the primers at pretty low pressure and not make too big a mess in your garage cover stuff up get a fan in a window or something.

If you do go rattle can get the stuff Scott is talking about it's just as good as the stuff you spray out of a gun probably is the same stuff.
Stay away from lacquerer products the just are not that good compared to the new stuff.

Bad side of the new stuff is most of the catalyzed primers /paints WILL KILL YOU simple as that. Read up on spraying isocyanate's and protect yourself.

Jeff

94touring

Yes get a good mask to breath in filtered air.  A couple good chugs of paint filled air and you'll be coughing for a week.

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Yeah I was speaking from experience too.  :-X  You get thinking.. ah a couple quick shots of primer, why bother putting on the mask, next thing you know you're coughing up lungs. 

MD-IN-UK

For those of you who have commented and those who have yet to read this.....

Most states require a fresh air system be used for spraying any isocyanate based product. The old paper masks, and even the slightly better charcoal filtered rubber masks are not enough. This stuff can and will kill, over time. Just not as long a time as the old laquer days. Thats when a guy would be told by his doctor he needed to quit drinking as his liver is about gone. Only problem was, he never touched a drink in his life. It's the chemicals in the laquer products that  ate it up. Remember that the next time you want to use thinner to clean your hands of paint and grease!!!! Just don't do it, no car is worth your good health.

Back to the original point of this thread.

If you spend around $20 / can for the 2K primer aerosol, and you need, say, 4 cans to complete what your trying to do, youv'e just spent as much as you would have for a low end primer gun kit. And you have nothing left to show for it. Granted, clean up isn't required so wash solvents won't be needed. You need to wiegh the pros and cons of this type of venture.

Will you ever be doing this again, when you tire of this car and want to do another? If so, make the investment now, as you'll be very glad you did. Most importantly, keep your spraying equipment immaculate (not just clean). If it sprays correctly,and you get better at it each time, the sanding will be much easier.

THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN

94touring

Hey aside from using pumped in fresh air to a mask, are there any other good solutions out there?  I had a face mask with two filters on it and it seemed to do a good job, hopefully I didn't get any bad chemicals. 

MD-IN-UK

The face mask with two charcoal filters and the pre-filters installed will do an ok job, but that's not what there designed for. If you can't get fresh air, there is only one other way to do it safely.

LET SOMEBODY ELSE DO IT!!!!!!!
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN

94touring

But I don't wanna let someone else do it, thats no fun, lol. 

jeff10049

This is what I have not too much money compared to your health I got 100' of hose along with it so I can make sure I'm getting good air. http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=2

A friend of mine started pissing blood from spraying iso paints with a charcoal respirator and he was just a hobbier like us but still damaged his kidneys now he can never go near the stuff.

A 3m charcoal filter mask with n95 pre filters will remove some iso's for a short time like painting a hood or door and thats only if you are painting in a down flow booth with good air exchange they can not keep up in a garage with a box fan. And smell is not a good indicator of the respirator condition for iso by the time you smell it you have breathed in a lot of it already. Also isocyanate's will go in through your eyes and ears you should have a full face mask and tyvek suit with hood I save my old ones from painting for primer work they are cheap or free from your paint supplier.

Jeff

MD-IN-UK

Well said jeff, and your fresh air example is an ideal piece of equipment for anyone who values there health. Theres lots of similar systems out there for your protection. Prices can start as low as $600 and go incredibly high. You just have to figure out how often you'll use it, and how well you'll maintain it.

I just semi-retired from the paint booth after a 19 year run of steady painting. I'll only go in now when my apprentice is not here. The doctor tells me I've done well, as my lungs and other vital organs all look, and perform well for a man my age in the profession I'm in.

Point is: Never discount your health, for anything!!!!!

94touring

Hey has anyone ever tried using a full face mask used for scuba diving?  As well as the oxygen tanks for diving?  Seems like that would be a possible solution thats cost effective.  I found mask that cover the whole face and allow you to breath through both your nose and mouth. 

MD-IN-UK

The only drawback that I can think of would be overspray. You would have to make up some form of tear away skins for the lense, otherwise, after about 15 minutes of spraying, you'd be trying very hard to look thru some pretty foggy glass.

94touring

I guess that could be a problem.  Does that mean full face mask design for auto painting are different? 

MD-IN-UK