"Old Yeller" project underway

Started by MPlayle, August 23, 2011, 09:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

About a month ago, I got a 1961 MK-I Mini added to the household.  Now it is me and two Mini/MINIs  (the 1961 and the 2008 Clubman-S).  I've got a thread going over on the MOT (Mini Owners of Texas) site for my progress on some refurbishment and upgrades I am doing on it.  It is a solid body and good subframes.  Not pristine, but good "daily driver" grade - which is what I wanted. 

Link to the thread: Yellow Mini Project

Cheers,
Michael Playle

94touring

MPlayle

I haven't posted much over here regarding the progress on my efforts.  I have made a few updates on the MOT forum posting.  I just posted the latest over there - the rear of the car is now done, except for some slight adjustments of the ride height.  I need to fine tune and match the hi-low adjustments.  I have the front wiring harness almost completely in place and the instrument cluster has been reworked.  Check out the thread on the MOT forum for pictures and details.

Cheers,
Michael Playle

MiniGene

It's really looking good.  That new muffler looks great.

MPlayle

Not as "deep" a project as some you guys are undertaking: no bodywork required.  Mostly mechnical and electrical refurbishing along with a few cosmetics.  I am enjoying having something to work on again.

Sometimes the progress doesn't show - several little things like replacing the door handles so I have something with a key.  But even the little things bring a sense of accomplishment.

I'll be trying to finish off the wiring and replace the oil cooler this next week.  Then I can see about getting back to the original front disk brake upgrade.

Cheers,
Michael Playle

MiniGene

I know what you mean, I feel good when I get something done no matter how big the job was.  I can't wait until I'm in your shoes: body good to go, electrics and mechanicals only.  I really enjoy that part of mini ownership. 

MPlayle

A bit slow getting the next update posted on the Mini Owners of Texas site.  Had some family related stuff took priority.  Mom broke her right ankle in lat August and have been spending most weekends doing stuff there.

Did get the wiring finished, oil cooler sorted (kept it side mounted and installed a fan to pull air through it into the wheel well.  Got the bonnet and grill back on.  Repaired the window frame at the hinge for the right rear quarter window.  Finished off the dash with new coverings - carpet to match the rear parcel shelf - including padding to help with stiffness and sound dampening intake noise.

It is still on the old front cones and drum brakes, but roadworthy.  I'll be able to drive it to the new apartment when I move at the end of next week.  Then I'll finally tackle the front suspension and brake upgrade.

Cheers,
Michael Playle

Check out the thread on the MOT forum site for pictures.

MPlayle

Had to take a bit of time off from the project to move apartment.  I'm back on working at the front suspension and brake upgrade.  See the thread over on the MOT website for details.

Cheers,
Michael Playle

94touring

MPlayle

Been quite a while since I posted any update to this thread.  I got the "refurb" finished up last September - just in time for the regional "All British Car Day".  Having the wide band air/fuel meter in place really helped for dialing in the Mikuni carb.

Ran nicely for the 500 break-in miles and then some.  Drove to my folks for Thanksgiving and the transmission decided to act up.  Acts like gears are not quite meshing - slips, stutters, and clatters like the teeth are skipping off each other.  Had to park it up as having the Mini and the latest toy (2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military with matching sidecar) in a smallish one car garage did not leave room for working on either.

Just finished moving to a new apartment - same complex, bigger apartment with a 2 car garage!  Now I can finish organizing the garage and dive back into the Mini.

Cheers,
Michael Playle

PS> I also had a major fiasco with AT&T when trying to move my DSL service.  During this, my main email address got hacked.  I am no longer with AT&T and am transitioning to a new email address.

94touring

Thanks for the update!  Hope you get the tranny sorted. 

MPlayle

I am hoping it turns out to be something simple - like one of the roll pins in the rod-change shift rod fell out.  That is the first thing I will be checking before tearing into pulling the engine.