AcesLow's 1973 Morris Pick up

Started by AcesLow, April 05, 2011, 02:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I left in the factory inner wings and had to do some massive clamping on the rh side where the wing meets the front end.  The very bottom corner had to be welded a little extra to compensate for the gap/force it took to get it together.  Maybe its a pickup thing? 

What are we looking at in the bed/wheel arch pic?  Gaps seem ok from what I can tell.  You'll need to seam seal same as I did also.

AcesLow

Does any have a measurement for center to center on the rear wheel arches shock absorber holes

94touring

Across the whole rear, left to right?  I can measure mine for you when I get back home in a couple weeks.

AcesLow

Wow its been a while since I have been on here. I have made a little progress on my truck. Too busy with work and little one to actually working on it.  Away here is a few quick pictures of whats been happening over the past year.

tsumini

I really like your tooling for aligning the butt welds.

AcesLow

They are okay. I ground them down so the gap is a lot tighter.

jeff10049

Quote from: tsumini on August 13, 2014, 08:55:28 AM
I really like your tooling for aligning the butt welds.

Yes those are cool where can one buy them?

Nice work by the way.

Jeff

Merlin

Engineering the Impossible

AcesLow

Did every External hinged mini have three layers where the inner/outer a panels and the wing meet up?  I'm having a hard time fitting the spot welded seam cover now.... Last guys that fixed the mini had and outer a panel and some L brackets to stiffen it up. No inner.

94touring

The very early apparently only had 1 a panel making 2 layers, otherwise you have inner/outter/wing creating a 3 layer lip. 

AcesLow

Good to know. I've seen alot of photos and can only see two layers.  Finally heading to shop this week for a few days.  I want this pickup to come home with me this time

jeff10049

Nice work what engine is going in?

Jeff

AcesLow

MiniDave

Jeez, don't make us wait, show us what's been going on!

I have a friend who used to live in Airdrie, he's in Lethbridge now but a car nut like the rest of us.

How are you going to handle a reverse gear?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

AcesLow

Mini Dave. There is a cable selected reverse gear. Its a box that is on the driven line.

Pro-Motive R1 Reverse Gearbox: https://youtu.be/_-kB9nLApYw

More body work for now.

AcesLow

Put these together today.. Also finished up the trailing arms.
Had to buy the washer for the hub nuts as my truck never had them...

Jims5543

Dear lord, I just did some reading up on the R1 conversion and it sounds amazing.

Awesome job so far.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

AcesLow

Beat the crap out my bed today Trying to straighten it out

AcesLow

Floor is pretty damn straight now. Rear subframe mounting panel is twisted about 1/4 out of sqaure so now my bed floor cross member doesnt fit...

MiniDave

It's always sumthin, isn't it?

Great to see you still plugging away on this and making such great progress!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

AcesLow

Switch Plate is all wired up. Instrument cluster and gauges are aswell. waiting to get back to the shop and finish up the body work.... going on 6 years now...

Anyone know how to polish up Carbon Fiber?

94touring

jeff10049

Quote from: AcesLow on May 18, 2015, 04:59:40 AM
Switch Plate is all wired up. Instrument cluster and gauges are aswell. waiting to get back to the shop and finish up the body work.... going on 6 years now...

Anyone know how to polish up Carbon Fiber?

Buff it with light/medium cut automotive buffing compound I like a foam pad, You can sand with 2000 first if needed pretty much just like buffing paint.

Jeff