AcesLow's 1973 Morris Pick up

Started by AcesLow, April 05, 2011, 02:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcesLow

I'm going to try and avoid cutting the outer portion off to get to that inner sill but I think I will have to.

AcesLow

Panels showed up from somerford today. All was good except they sent me two right hand rear wheel arches instead of a left and a right. Not quite sure where to start yet. But im going to start stripping paint off so I can drill some spot welds out!

94touring

Don't be afraid to put an air chisel to work when breaking your spot welds. 

AcesLow

As it sits right now, I'm taking my truck to my Dad's shop so I can build a rotisserie or a table for it to bolt to. I'm off from the first of April till the 15th of April. I'm waiting for my replacement panel from Fedex. My order from DSN sand my order from Minispares. Weathers getting warmer. Need this done!

94touring

Nice, replacing all the same panels as me!

Mudhen

Look at all those nice fresh panels!!!   :-\

Awesome.   4.gif

AcesLow

I have been slowly collecting since November. You should see my parts table! 94touring do you have any pictures of you replacing the inner Wing panels and the inner A panels.

94touring

I actually didn't have to replace the inner wing, so you got me there.  The inner a panel you will probably find some pics with it clamped in place, but what I did was bolt and clamp the outer to it and fit from there.  It can be a little tricky.  Use your door to fit in place also in the fitment process to make sure everything clears. 

Nicholasupton

I usually end up just replacing the front half of the inner fenders hiding my weld behind the stiffener so the engine side looks factory.

AcesLow

I will take some Pictures tonight to show you what I am deal with in there. It's not pretty at all.

AcesLow

Camera charger is pooched.. now pics for right now. I need some reference pics as I am not sure how these panels lay over each other. Inner wing, inner a and the a panel. nothing is fitting and there is some odd ball spots in the repo panel im not sure should be there.  bought the metal for braceing the frame today.

94touring

Did you find anything useful in the media gallery that helps show the A panels?  After I clamp the inner and outter together I use the lip of the A panel that runs along the door frame as a reference.  It has to fit up against the door frame perefectly one way or another.  Drill ya some tiny holes in the lip if necessary to bold up to the door frame in the process, spot weld it later.  The tricky part for me at least at this point is getting the inner A panel to get in posistion along the inside along the kick panel up to the corner scuttle.  I had to manipulate it here and there.  Just remember the A panels purpose is to hold the door on, it needs to line up for the door to fit properly.  Do whatever you need to do in order to get the door on there straight.   

AcesLow

Here is some very crappy images. You can see the gap it between the new inner wing and the door jam. That I should be able to fix. it looks like they bent the edge the wrong way and I cant get in there all the way. My real problem is the inner A and closer do not line up where they should. I can seem to get the A wing panel to line up with the Door jam and the inner a panel at the same time. I'm back at work now for 5 days so I won't be able to do anything until then.

94touring

I bought my closer panel seperate and threw it in place after things were done.  You should probably just cut it apart and do the same.  I do believe there will be some gap from the inner a panel to the door jam, but I'm having a hard time seeing it in the pics. 

Nicholasupton

A few more pictures sure would help. Just remember that the MK1/2 heritage inner fenders are just modified mk3+ ones that the factory has modified the dies.

macmanron

same thing i was running into on my car, witht he heritage panel.
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

AcesLow

I'll get some better pics then and show you. Those panels were not there to begin with(originally they were but not when I got it) so I have nothing to base it off

AcesLow

Cool 4.gif my truck is on the front page!

94touring

Yes.  Maybe it will help keep you motivated while you struggle with fitments haha. 

AcesLow

Tonight it my last night of work for two weeks. I should get alot done in two weeks

Mudhen

Ahem...don't get so busy working that you forget us over here...  19.gif

AcesLow

Ill be taking lots of pics on the next few days. I just hauled it up north to my dads shop. Hes a welder by trade so he has everything i need

AcesLow

Big update. Ill let the pictures do the talking.

Nicholasupton

Be sure to put your front subframe back in  before fitting the floor board/ front end.

MiniGene

Sweet!  Nice body dolly/holder!