AcesLow's 1973 Morris Pick up

Started by AcesLow, April 05, 2011, 02:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcesLow

Hey Jims5543,

That would be great if you could.  I fear my tailgate is bowed. I have nothing to compare it to. I modified the plates that go on the top of the tail light panels a lot to get everything to fit.

Thanks.

Jims5543

Quote from: AcesLow on September 09, 2016, 02:05:03 AM
Hey Jims5543,

That would be great if you could.  I fear my tailgate is bowed. I have nothing to compare it to. I modified the plates that go on the top of the tail light panels a lot to get everything to fit.

Thanks.

Pics and measurements this weekend for you sir. No promises my truck is straight either. IIRC when the vinyl cover was being made the guy told me the bed was out of square by a decent amount. LOL!!  I will measure it up regardless.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

I measure across the top and at the bottom both read 40" almost exactly if I was to split hairs it would be 40 1/16" top and bottom.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

stan360

The pickup is looking sharp.  Are you keeping the blue ?

Merlin

I am having some serious wet dreams about that shifter right now. I can just imagine banging through those gears right now.

Engineering the Impossible

AcesLow

Merlin. I do that every day...

Stan360. I want a period corect 70s color. Not sure what that color is yet. Nothing on the outside will be out of the ordinary. I want it looking stock until I turn the key over.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Fit the front end to the wings off the car, clamp, or just go ahead and spot weld. Then fit on the car and with brute force get it snug to the scuttle and A panels.  Helpers or sheet metal screws to aid in holding it in place.  I screw all my front ends on first, then weld. Your fitment really isn't as bad as it looks. It will easily go into place.  The bottom of the a panels can be tricky, and I prefer to not have those fully welded till I know the rest matches up.  If it's way out on the bottom I can modify the a panel where the lip attaches to the door frame as necessary.  Or if it's attached I could always slice a section by the seams and weld in an extension. 

AcesLow

I cut one off as the bonnet gaps were not very good.  I dont know if I messed up mounting the a panels or what.  The other wing panel was stretched into place which messed up the scuttle and bonnet gap. I read somewhere that you need to mod the inner wing panels for mk2s as they are made for mk3 and up.. Anyone know what was supposed to be modified?

94touring

Bonnet gaps too wide?  Simply take a sheet metal screw and go from the wing gutter to the inner wing lip and cinch it up.  The trick is pulling it towards the scuttle at the same time.  A vice grip pulling the wing to the a panel while screwing the wings toward the inner wing lip usually works.

AcesLow

When I welded the front on the first time, using the clamps on to make the wing meet the A panel made the scuttle gap bad. It pulled the wing out and made the gap between the bonnet and the wing wider.. What would cause that big of a gap between the A panel and wing? I'm scared my inner wing panel to the door pillar width is incorrect.  I'm going to work on it some tonight and see if I can get anywhere with it.

9.gif

94touring

It's tricky.  Any time you move one spot it shifts the next.  That's why I'm a big fan of sheet metal screws to cinch it all up. Are these heritage panels or knockoffs?  If I encounter a problem it's always bottom of A panel to bottom of wing.  That gap can be too much to vise together.  Then it becomes a matter of tweaking the apanel to the door frame, either by shaving door frame lip or bending out a panel lip to buy myself length to join up the a panel to wing. In an extreme case the a panel to door gap becomes too wide and looks bad, and I weld in a small strip on the a panel to rid the gap.

AcesLow

They are heritage panels. Spent alot of extra money for the nicer panels.  50.gif Not a fan of bodywork..

MiniDave

Me either.....I did a ton of it on my Jag when I did the rustoration......now I let Dan do it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

AcesLow

Driver side is the same. So at least im consistent lol..

The front panel is welded on already.Should I drill the welds out and assemble the front end off the truck. Will that make this easier...

94touring

Yes drill out the welds on the front end panel.  Then I'd suggest at least tacking the wings to the front end panel to have one complete unit properly fitted to then proceed to the next challenge of getting scuttle and A panel fitments.  Next fit your subframe and initially lightly bolt the front end to the eye bolt holes.  Now begin pushing and pulling and man handling things till it fits. You may find tightening the bolts on the front end help or hurt, but it gives you a variable to play with.  Use the screw trick to keep things held in place as you achieve best fitments.  That wing to a panel gap is close enough that you can definitely get this fitted perfectly.

AcesLow

Thanks 94touring! Ill post some progress picture tommorow.

AcesLow

Front end is still not on. I have been trying to get some smaller jobs done.

Almost done. Little clean up still needed.

Billet aircraft eyeball vents

I am  50.gif as I had an idea on what I wanted to do with the doors. The bottoms of the pockets are thrashed.  I cut one off to repair it.  I like the flat inner door style of the mk3/mk4 minis. I am stuck at a crossroads now to either repair the door pocket and reinstall it or build a inner structure and then sheet the door with a piece of carbon fiber to match the dash.  Ideas or thoughts?

Off for the next week and would like to get a move on this. Buddy wants it to be at his wedding in September so I am shooting for then to have it running (not painted). Subframes are read to go in after the body work is complete... 20.gif

AcesLow

I did remove the front panel and modded it a bit. Removed the front plate mount and tucked some angled brackets up that will be hidden behind the bumper for structure.

AcesLow

Inner wings were stamped 1/4 inch different. I reshaped the drip rail and everything lines up alot better.

MiniDave

I've read where others have complained lately about the quality of Heritage panels....seems to be hit or miss.

I like those eyeball vents, where did you get those?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Heritage can be every bit as tricky as knockoff.