AcesLow's 1973 Morris Pick up

Started by AcesLow, April 05, 2011, 02:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Here's a pic of someone's pickup...don't know who, showing the tailgate lowered. 

MPlayle

Could the support bars be reversed (left to right)?  It looks almost as if the mount plates are different heights and the ones on the bed upright panels are taller - recessing deeper into the bed.  That would pull up the tailgate ends creating the angle.

AcesLow

Ill check that out. I didnt label them so they could be reversed.

Jims5543

I have my truck back at the house with me if you need any pics let me know I will be happy to snap a few and post them up.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

I don't think you can put the struts on backwards without them being upside down but maybe.
I got to check out a pickup this last week and his tail gate sat up as much as yours just the build quality on some of them I think. That said I would have to modify it to sit lower.

BTW Looking good I have had to do the same to door gaps I think I ground down the door edge on one of mine and re welded.

Jeff

MPlayle

Start          Spin 180       To get        Flip 180      To get final
with            on this         this for       on this        position on
this             axis           swapping      axis           other side with
on one                           sides                           mounts in right
side                                                                  positions
                      |             
\                  \                   /                 /                 \
  0                 0               0             -- 0 --                0
    \                  \            /                 /                       \
                      |

Hopefully, the above stick diagram helps visualize what might work.  It should keep the hinge point of the braces still pointing down for a right-to-left swap.  If the height of the mounts on each end of a brace are the same, it won't matter.  Just if the one mounted on the vertical is taller would swapping let the tailgate drop a bit further.

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

AcesLow

Your bracket seems to be alot lower.  Ill try the new ones when i have time. Im scared the box floor dropped a bit while I was putting the box sides on..

Thanks for the help and the pictures!!!

Jims5543

Let me know if you need some more accurate measurements, it is kind of hard to tell what the actual dimension is.

MiniDave

How many miles of welding wire have you gone thru so far?   ;D

It's really coming along now......  77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I see the factory instrument cluster opening through the firewall being blanked off and a radiator grill/outlet being added to the right inner wing, but I do not understand why.

I may have lost track, is the truck getting an alternate power source that needs the cooling repositioned?

jeff10049

I asked a while back.

5PW Yamaha R1 engine was the response

Jeff

AcesLow

I guess the text didnt post with the photos. Added the cooling on the right hand side as the rad switches sides with the promotive kit. I am shaving as much of the firewall as possible to give it that clean look.

MiniDave

The problem I have with putting a bike engine in a car is it seems they run about 5K rpm when you're doing 30 mph, because the HP is all above 5 grand.....so you're always wound up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

AcesLow

Gearing should help with that I would think.  We will see. Hopefully i dont get it all together and hate it.. its only been a 5 year resto...

AcesLow

Can a pickup owner please snap a picture of the opening for the tail gate and measure the opening. I think my tailgate is bowed and that has now caused me to set the box side width with a damaged tailgate. Just want to see if I am out or not.

Am I being a perfectionist? I am thinking to order new box sides and try fitting them again. They seem to be tilted tail down slightly which is causing a tight door gap at the bottom and where they meet the  B pillar there is a 3/16 gap.  As well as the mentioned above with the tail gate.

Spitz

"Am I being a perfectionist?"

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to get it perfect.
I'm sorry I can't help you with a measurement.....but the fitment of my tailgate bugged the hell out of me.  To me it sticks out like a sore thumb if it's not correct, as the pic of mine shows

MiniDave

My buddy Don's is the opposite, wide at the bottom.....we tried to widen it our a bit with a porta power, didn't move a lick so we gave up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Mine is far from square as well.  My tops are too tight and needs work.  I chalk it up to minis being cheaply built.

AcesLow

I had to modify these brackets a fair bit. Which is why I am wondering what the opening width is.  I'm scared if I wanted to go get a new tailgate that all the body work I've done makes the tail too narrow and Ill have to cut it all apart to fit a new tail gate.

AcesLow

Builds been quiet for some time. The truck is home now and I can work it alot more. Hopefully make some headway inthe next few weeks and have some updates for you all.

MiniDave

I can't believe how much room you have to work!

Glad to see you're still on it....  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: AcesLow on February 25, 2016, 09:50:26 PM
Can a pickup owner please snap a picture of the opening for the tail gate and measure the opening. I think my tailgate is bowed and that has now caused me to set the box side width with a damaged tailgate. Just want to see if I am out or not.

Am I being a perfectionist? I am thinking to order new box sides and try fitting them again. They seem to be tilted tail down slightly which is causing a tight door gap at the bottom and where they meet the  B pillar there is a 3/16 gap.  As well as the mentioned above with the tail gate.

PM me if you ever need anything. I completely missed this, if you still want numbers I can do it this evening. I think mine is pretty straight. I I am going to be out there this evening.  Do you have the tail gate?  Why not measure that ?