AcesLow's 1973 Morris Pick up

Started by AcesLow, April 05, 2011, 02:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcesLow

Finally some real progress!! Door gaps are okay. Needs a bit of adjustment.

AcesLow

Well.  50.gif  passenger isnt fitting well.. even bracing it it moved.... i hate body work... Time for a Jack and Coke

94touring

MiniDave

I've never seen a Mini with really good fitting doors, close panel gaps or even seams - remember, these were cheap throw away cars made in the height of the British labor troubles.....these were not made with Lexus-like attention to details. If they ran and the doors opened and closed....good enough!  ;D

Most Mini's I've seen - even ones that have had huge attention paid to the door fitment - still don't fit well after the door seal is installed.... so don't be too hard on yourself, you're not working with precision equipment here.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That's true.   Mine usually fit good to great prior to the door seals then fit good to ok.  I've spent whole days shimming and adjusting a pair of doors and occasionally bending door seams to adjust the rubber seals.

AcesLow

I agree its not precision equipment. I had to open up the hinge hole 1/8 and now the doors fit. What is an exceptable gap around the outside of the door?

94touring

Basically what doesn't rub and looks decent.  They all vary from barely not touching to pushing quarter inch gaps. 

AcesLow

AcesLow

I cut the flange off the box panel. Fixed my door gaps.. Fully weld it and radius it and it should look okay.

94touring

AcesLow

In my mind its not right. But it works...

MiniDave

Progress! 4.gif

How long have you been working on it?

And what are those holes above the rear window for?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

I thin the holes are for a factory cover of sorts.

I can't wait till the day comes for me to fuss over door gaps for hours and hours.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

The holes above the window are where brackets bolt that would hold a bed cover. 

AcesLow

Is that as far down as the tailgates came?? Been so long since mine was attached.

MiniDave

My buddy's lays pretty much flat, with a slight upward angle - but it seems much less than that....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

AcesLow

Im exactly 7 inches from the bed floor to the center of the first hinge mounting hole on the tail light assembly... can anyone measure their pickup? 94touring???

94touring

I'll have my hands on mine this weekend and try to remember to get a measurement. 

94touring

I've got 7 inches too.   Gigitty. 

AcesLow

Hahaha. New tailgate struts maybe. How far does yours (tailgate) "hang" down? Is it level with the box?

94touring

Ha.  I don't have my tailgate hooked up so that I don't know.   

jeff10049

OH MY! your's isn't hooked up where do you keep it in between uses? I think I heard a song about this once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4

Oh wait, I see now were talking about tailgate's never mind.

Mudhen

Quote from: jeff10049 on November 18, 2015, 08:19:50 PM
OH MY! your's isn't hooked up where do you keep it in between uses? I think I heard a song about this once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4

Oh wait, I see now were talking about tailgate's never mind.

:D

I only got through part of that video...unfortunately, I can't now unsee it.   :(

Spitz

I don't have my PUP anymore....but I do know it lay flat...perhaps a very VERY slight incline, but not noticeable.
The pictured one is definately not sitting right.