AcesLow's 1973 Morris Pick up

Started by AcesLow, April 05, 2011, 02:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

That scuttle corner can be tricky, especially with sub par panels.  As Nick mentioned, get the gaps of the bonnet good before welding it up.  I made that mistake once. 

Nicholasupton

Practice, practice , practice. In my body repair book it says it take a total of 2 hours to just remove and install one fender, so take you time and don't expect it to snap into place. I use a shrinker stretcher from woodward fab to adjust panels, and often have to run things through a bead roller just to make things come together tightly. 
Quote from: Mudhen on August 25, 2012, 05:43:58 AM
Quote from: Nicholasupton on August 24, 2012, 03:24:13 PM

This part confuses me...like the two panels aren't going to fit square - the top piece seems like it's at a funky angle which would leave a 1/4" gap when they come together.

Gotta be really hard all over to get the welded seams to look smooth.  Once again gaining more respect for people that do it right.

AcesLow

Thanks for the advice. Heading up tomorrow at noon to do some work for my dad. Hopefully I will get some time to work on the truck while I am there.

AcesLow

Neglected this week.. I went up there and did some work for my father but no time for the mini. Going back up Tuesday to do some more work. Hopefully get some time on the mini.

94touring

Hey those Apanel photos help any?  I took a level to 3 of the minis in the shop today to check how much they flare out compared to the side of the car along the cill.  All 3 cars flare out a bit. 

AcesLow

Yeah they did thanks a lot. I have not had any time to work on my truck. Waiting for Mini-sport to send the last little bits for the subframes to I can continue with building those up. The measurement I think that would help is the distance from the tip of the a panel to the inner wing. 

94touring

The bottom tip?  I've never aligned it using that method, but every little bit can't hurt. 

AcesLow

The bottom of the flange that attaches to the wing. In toward the inner wing. I want to see if my horizontal alignment is out.

94touring

I came up with 9 inches to the inside of the wing/apanel to the inner wing. 

AcesLow

Awesome! That is what I have as a measurement.

94touring

AcesLow

Nothing new with the body, but my wheels and brakes showed up.  Hopefully get some work done on it while I'm on my holidays.

AcesLow

I bought a bubble brake flare tool kit and starting making front brake lines. The bubble flare doesn't look like the correct flare. Are they a double flare then? I'm doing all the brake lines front and rear.

94touring

I'll see if I can take a look at what I have tomorrow.  I don't know off the top of my head. 

94touring

AcesLow

Hmm not sure...

Is there a closer panel on the pickup on the front of the rear wheel arches by the heel board?

This one is for a saloon

http://www.dsnclassics.co.uk/acatalog/info_2818.html

94touring

I'm having a hard time making sense of that one to be honest.  There is a little square box that sits above the mounting holes though which I ended up fabricating.  If you go through my pics you'll see it.  I replaced the ends of the mounting panel too and don't recall seeing anything like you're showing there.

AcesLow

Trying to get the front end Lined Up. Not Having  Much luck. I Did get the cowl on.

94touring

Scuttle looks good.  Too bad you're still struggling with the front end.  Have you put the subby in place to help align it with the front end panel?

Nicholasupton

Be sure to fit a windscreen before you paint as the lower edge often needs to be bent for the windscreen to seal.

AcesLow

Front end is on 4.gif.All heritage panels and there was still a lot of trimming and banging to get everything to fit. All the gaps and body lines are good except around the scuttle panel. Just working on the rear now.

Good advice about the wind screen

94touring

Good man.  The scuttle is definetly a tricky one to get right with the curves.  Pics of the seam there? 

AcesLow

I'll take some tomorrow. I have a few more days to work on it until I have to go back to work.

AcesLow

My phone is having issues uploading photos. I'm not very happy with the outcome. The more I look at the front end the worse I feel. The bonnet gap is good as well as where nose panel meets the wings. The scuttle gap is okay on one side but not so great on the other. The other issue I have is on the same side as the bad gap. I had a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom of the driver side wing where it meets the A panel.

I had to use a lot of force with the clamps to get it to close. I think where I screwed up was when I mounted the inner A panel.

AcesLow

Continued on with the body work.  Now I'm dealing with this..