Axles and the difference?

Started by macmanron, February 25, 2011, 06:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macmanron

Ok, I know that there are 3 different types of " joints" for minis:
1. Hardy Spicer
2. Pot Joint
3. rubber/nylon joint

My woody came with the 7.5 brakes, and from what I can tell the rubber/nylon joints (although in pieces). The engine I bought came with axles with the pot joints on them. They look like they may have been re-built, but have the small outer CV joint on them. I assume you cannot use the smaller joint with the S brakes? So.... should I just go with what came with the woody, or can I use the pot joints, and just get the larger CV for the S brakes?  Which is better?  I have the HS on the S I drive now. I am placing a large order with minisport and want to make sure I get the right stuff.  I am also thinking of either selling the blue springs and going with the cones, so I can use my original trumpets, or go with the hi-lo set up. I want to save as much money as possible with this thing. I wont be hot rodding it. I am ordering drive flanges, new s rotors, new spaced drums, ball joint kits, rebuild kits for the arms front and back, wheel bearings, poly bushes, and some brake pads.  Thanks!!! Ok so the word is i might have the woody back from the blasters on Sun.... the guy did paint the sub frames, but didnt like the way they came out so he is going to shoot them again! I saw them and they looked fine to me!
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

Maybe I'll snag those springs.  Gotta check my wallet if you decide to sell. 

macmanron

You ready??? I'm ready to sell, and just go with the rubber cones. You have any new ones???  Any Idea on the other questions?  I am lazy I guess, but I don't feel like messing with hi-los and all that! I have stock stuff on my S and it is fine! Seriously !

Ready To sell those springs, my mind is made up! 
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

Shoot me a PM or email with a price.  I'm in DC right now with my girlfriend doing some sight seeing, then back to work in a couple days, so I'll have an idea what I can do when I get back.  I haven't bought any new cones, but would have gone with the competition style.  Your springs are the sport/street style right?  I think I just read the competition cones sit higher in a thread on MM.  You may want to look into that.    Aside from that I'm not sure about your other problem, I've never had to worry about mixing and matching joints/axles. 

MPlayle

It is my understanding you can swap the CV joints around.  You should be able to use the pot-joint shafts with the appropriate CV joints for whichever brake set you chose.  When I had my Moke, I upgraded it from front drum brakes to 8.4 disks.  The Moke's 998 had pot-joint drive shafts.  The disk brake kit I got had different CV joints (spline count is different between disk flange and drum flange).  I popped the drum CV's off and popped the disk ones on without any issues.