My Project car in Bolivia

Started by Richard1, February 22, 2011, 05:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard1

I'm negotiating this pickup at the moment. It obviously needs a little work. First question is that if I get it I'll definitely replace the engine (currently has a 3 cyl Suzuki in it and he bent out the front to do it): Where is the best place in the US, preferably near Tulsa, to get a decent used engine?

94touring

Wow did he get creative with the front end! 

dutchy1978

Good luck. it looks like a huge job if you get it. nice front bumper. did he use it as a snow plow?  :D

MEhinger

Oh my!!! Danotje, watch this one. One advantage here is selling the front bumper as scrap metal should pay for the restoration.

94touring

Richard1

I didn't think about the scrap value until after I told him he could keep it.

It's mine now. Full sets of pictures on my new site under "progress". I'll update it as I go, but I'll have lots of questions before I get too far. In the morning I should finish pulling the Suzuki engine.
http://widman.biz/Mini/Mini/index.html

94touring

I just like the fact it looks like it might be in worse shape than my pickup  ;D

Richard1

Quote from: 94touring on March 10, 2011, 08:29:10 AM
I just like the fact it looks like it might be in worse shape than my pickup  ;D

Wait til I post the pictures of what the PO did to the subframe and suspension and you will have a definite answer to that.

Richard1

Take a look at how he cut up the sub-frame and added pieces.

94touring

That's pretty amazing, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Richard1

Project is underway. Here is one of the first pictures after I bought it. I let him keep his bumper. I didn't think about selling it as scrap.
I haven't had a lot of time to play with it because of business, and because I also ended up buying a Renault Ondine.

I'll be updating my site with all the progress as it comes, but here are a few shots.

here is the inside

The original engine is pretty much useless. I've ordered a 1275cc from Chile. Just having trouble getting it here.

Pulled the Suzuki engine out with my environmentally friendly hoist.

and saw how badly cut up the sub frame is (one is also coming from Chile)

New brakes, wheels, steering, dash and much more has come from the UK

After patching the rear corner, it was time to measure for the fender flares

A little more patching

Rolled it over to pull the rear sub-frame to clean and paint, and start replacing the floor with panels from a donor Toyota minivan.

A 15 hp water hose will get it ready to sandblast

Now all I need is time. Hopefully I'll get back next month and not have to spend all my time on the renault (but I have to get it to where it passes inspection)

94touring

Good to see you working on it! 

Richard1

Not much happening. Project was stalled for a few months as my body guy had found a car he could use as a donor for panels. after wasting 3 months negotiating and actually traveling a long way to get it, the guy backed out.
So this will be my new floor, donated from a toyota minivan

94touring

Is that going to work?  Tunnel might be a little big?

Richard1

While I was waiting on the body shop and trying to get him moving on it, I got a lot done on my Renault Dauphine. Those pictures are posted on my site.

I finally told my body guy that it looked like I would need another body shop for the Renault, since he had had the Mini for a year. Next day he called me to come see the progress.
First was cutting out the entire floor and the modified front sub-frame.

Then forming and tacking the Toyota floor in place with the side panel he had formed from a donor car.

Meanwhile I took the rear sub-frame, sandblasted it and painted it and the rear brake drums that I will use. I also ordered a set of bushings and knuckles. I found out that my HS6 SU carb is from a 1800cc Chrysler Avenger, so I;ll have to see how it fits the 1275cc engine when it gets here.

Mudhen

Wow, what a job!!

Love the Judas Priest sticker... 4.gif

batman1usa

Love the rotiserie...   4.gif

Richard1

I just noticed the link to my progress was broken. Fixed now so you can follow.

Richard1

Got a couple of hours free this afternoon so I polished up the trumpets, put in the new knuckles and put things together. Going fine til I realized I hadn't ordered wheel bearings. Then realized my wheel bearings aren't like the ones in catalogs. (see other post for questions)

Richard1

I finally got what might be a straight answer from the seller of the engine. Actually, from his partner. He says he took it to a mechanic to make sure it was good, and the mechanic took the engine and skipped town, that the police report is filed, etc.

So he is refunding me half my money and sending another engine, in pieces, to be rebuilt. That in itself is no real problem, except it will take a little longer, since I'll have to wait for the engine, measure, order, etc. Once I have the parts I can easily assemble an engine in a morning.

It would still need alternator, carb, etc.

Meanwhile, last night a friend told me of a 1300 engine with fuel injection from 1993 with an automatic transmission that is for sale about 300 miles from here, that he has seen running.

He is going to give me the guy's number this week so I can find out more. I understand the automatic transmission is not the longest living thing in the world, but I'll never put more than 5000 miles a year on it once it's finished, having the Corvair, BMW, and Renault to share my classic driving (and who knows what else later on).

Can a normal sub-frame be modified to fit the auto trans?

What are the questions I need to ask?

94touring

Yeah different subframes.  I can take a look at the auto at the shop and try to figure out major differences if you don't get a quick answer.

Richard1

That guy decided not to sell, so found a front clip in Chile and my body guy went and got it. I've had a chance to clean up and paint the subframe and a few parts, then the rest of it got here, so we will fuse the front of a 94 Rover Mini to the rear of the 75 pickup, giving me the 1300cc engine, auto trans, AC, roll-up windows, etc.
I'll sell the 8.4" brakes and put on the Cooper-S with the 10" wheels.
Also located some comfortable Toyota seats locally that I'll upholster along with the door panels.

Mudhen

Wow, the before/after of those parts is incredible.  If you hadn't included that pic of you buffing the alternator I would have asked what paint you used.

Do you put anything on it to keep it that way?  or does it last a long time?

(and I have a box of stuff here I'll ship down...no rush  ;D )

Richard1

My current product to keep it shiny is Meguair's Mag & Aluminum Polish. But it seems to have been discontinued in its present formulation so I'm not sure where I'll go for the future.

I had used a clear plastic paint on the Corvair headlight rims, but they aren't as shiny as I like to keep them.

This is how the Renault grills came out.

Richard1

Now we are getting somewhere. No welds yet, but it is aligning nicely.