My Project car in Bolivia

Started by Richard1, February 22, 2011, 05:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

When I win the lottery I'm going to pay you to do my car...  77.gif

MiniDave

Can't wait for the next installment!

I'm very impressed with the quality of the workmanship of your body guy , once you got him moving he did well for you.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Richard1

Home at last. Brought it home on a trailer while I await the missing module for the engine. Washed it and polished it with Meguiars Ultimate. Tomorrow I work on the interior and make/install the gas lines.

94touring

Jims5543

Lets recap for a moment.

You have come a long way baby!! She looks stunning!!

From this:

To this:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Absolutely incredible!!!   4.gif

Richard1

I'm currently stumped in getting the right wires to the control relay terminals and on to the computer. I have the diagrams in the Haynes manual, but my wires are different colors than those shown. I've read where there are several different setups. I don not have the alarm that apparently is on some.

Anyone have SPI drawings to share?

jeff10049

Richard1

Thanks. a lot of those links are dead, but there is a lot to read that should help.

Richard1

Engine now runs. Had an oil leak on the tube to the trans, so have to fabricate something. As soon as I get that sorted out, I'll post a video. Meanwhile, I did the headliner. Since I had already put Fatmat on the roof, just had to cut some foam-baked fabric, add glue, and attach.

Also added a third brake light (LED) and rear-view mirror.

94touring

Good idea on the 3rd brake light.

Mudhen

Quote from: richard1 on May 02, 2015, 04:43:34 PM
Engine now runs. Had an oil leak on the tube to the trans, so have to fabricate something. As soon as I get that sorted out, I'll post a video. Meanwhile, I did the headliner. Since I had already put Fatmat on the roof, just had to cut some foam-baked fabric, add glue, and attach.

Also added a third brake light (LED) and rear-view mirror.

That white workbench with the roundel sure beats the heck out of the plywood one I use.

Richard1

Engine runs nicely, but not the transmission. No movement of the wheels in D, but R spits out oil from the filter seal.

Looks like I need to set aside a couple of days to pull the engine, repair the transmission, and put it all back.

94touring

That's a bummer.  Good luck with the fix. 

Richard1

Updating a bit. I pulled the sub frame and engine, checked all the valves that could have been sticking, but nothing there. Then pulled the clutch pack and found a hairline crack in the cover and the discs bent, pressure plate broken

So back to the internet, where with the help of forums and emails, found KMP Engineering in the UK, where they make the pressure plates. He assembled a complete clutch pack and cover with the pump and sent it, so now I just need to find time to install it, assemble everything, and DRIVE.

While I had the frame out, I modified it a bit more for easier fitting of the transmission, repainted it, and installed a set of springs instead of the old cones.

MiniDave

Richard I'll be curious to see what you think of the springs, I've had mine on for over a year now and I have mixed feelings. I've had to reset the height several times, although I think this last time should do it. Sometimes I think the rubbers with their rising rate stiffness are better suited, other times I like the ride quality of the springs.

It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts once you have some miles on them -are the roads in your area smooth or rough - or both?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Richard1

At 8 am tomorrow I will start assembling the transmission and hopefully be driving a little tomorrow or Thursday. We have a few asphalt roads that are smooth, but a lot of speed bumps and potholes. The concrete roads and bridges are terrible. I ended up changing out the stiffer shocks on my Corvair to put in originals.

MiniDave

I don't have a fair frame of reference - the rubbers in my car were absolute rock hard, so when I went over a sharp bump it tried to break my back - now with the springs it's so much more composed and comfortable, but I understand the rising rate nature of new, good rubbers makes them pretty comfortable too.

Our roads are mostly smooth, although I do dodge the potholes so it may not be a fair comparison to what you drive on everyday either.

Glad to see you making progress, look forward to an in-car vid of your first drive!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Richard1

No drive today, but assembled the transmission (a job for people with tiny hands and long fingers - or the right tools) and put the power train back in. Tomorrow will finish connecting everything, add oil, and hopefully drive.

MiniDave

You have to be looking forward to this!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Richard1

I still had problems with the transmission after installing the clutch pack, so the engine and sub-frame came out again, making a total of three installs. At least I have it down to 70 minutes for two people to pull the radiator, starter, filter, wires, exhaust, fuel, brake lines, steering, etc. and get the complete unit out through the bottom.

Along with not moving the wheels, I checked the oil pressure and found it marginally low.

I also had to improvise a motor mount that detached itself in the process, adding glue and stainless screws into the rubber.

Aside from some dry o-rings, I was missing the tube that feeds the converter. I also adjusted the bands while I had it apart, so with that fixed, I replaced everything and finished the wiring, set the timing, etc. Runs nicely in and out of the garage, but need to put stronger spring on the brake and accelerator returns to drive safely. Also need to move the muffler to a place where it does not scrape my driveway.

Filled it with 10W-40 Motorcycle JASO MA2 oil to help the AT discs.

Dash and new switches are now installed and wired. Haven't found a practical solution to adding the oil temp gauge, so I'll get something else for that hole. It was easy to put a T for the oil pressure gauge. And of course the Tach is just some wires.

Next month I'll get back to it and get it on the road.

MiniDave

So, you got to drive it at least up the driveway?  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Richard1

Just to add a few shots from my drives earlier this month (probably about 120 km over three days)

94touring

Fantastic you're enjoying it  4.gif