Leaky fuel pump (?)

Started by ADRay, June 29, 2024, 11:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

I finally got a new battery and was able to fire up my mini for the first time in almost 5 years. Problem is, I'm getting a fuel leak at the top of my mechanical fuel pump. I've replaced and refitted the hoses and clamps several times to no avail. I can't tell from watching it where it might be leaking from.

Looking around, they don't seem to be rebuildable, so I guess my question is, is there any where else it could leak from?

It's the old unit that had been left on the block while it was off line. The inlet and outlet fittings seem to be a little loose - is that normal?
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MPlayle

As far as I know, the fittings should not be loose.  I will try to get out to the garages and see if I still have the mechanical pump I removed from my Van to be sure.

ADRay

Thanks for looking. also, it only seems to be leaking while it's running. I dried it off completely and it has been sitting for about 90 minutes
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

The fittings should not be loose, try tightening them if they are threaded, otherwise what I've seen is the diaphragm just under the lid dries out and shrinks, then it leaks.

I don't know if you can get a rebuild kit for it or not, but new ones aren't that expensive. Be sure to get the gaskets for where it bolts onto the block....sometimes they come with the new pump, sometimes they don't and you would hate to have it off and not be able to bolt it back on again.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I found my leftover mechanical fuel pump.  All of the fittings are tight.  I did a manual test and it still seems to work fine.

There is a tiny breather hole underneath for the pressure changes of the diaphram and mine pushes a small puff of air when I move the cam lever.

If you send me you address, I will send you my pump.  I can have it in the mail later today.  I don't think I have the gasket, but I will look.

Edit: I do not have the gasket.  Let me know if you want the pump.  We can settle up on postage at a later time.