New whole car wiring loom connection woes.

Started by DarkHelmet, June 14, 2024, 02:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkHelmet

Winston is a 78. The origional car is a 78 MK4 shell with a 78 wiring loom. That is why I ordered a "mk4 wiring loom centre oval fog lamp 1978 to 1982" part from Minispares. The shell it has now is from I think an 84...( 94Touring confirm?)

Unfortunately now after the wiring loom been installed and everything else, I may be working with something NOT for the car I have. They offer two different wiring looms for the same model year car. It's easy to get confused to which one is what but I think I did. However, this isn't a totally not gonna work scenario. It's just knowing the differences and making the changes to work with those differences. For example I have AN134. It talks about rear fog lights and I never had those....AN124 however sais indicator stalk is on the right, and I have that!

It is unfortunate MS does not include a page of the wiring diagram with the loom they ship. The Haynes manual doesn't really label the diagrams properly with what car they are from...year range.

Ill dig deeper, but I'm already finding inaccurate wire colors when I find what I think is the proper diagram. Electrical isn't my thing, but I may have to make it my thing because I don't want anything to be iffy at all and have to undo stuff with an engine and heater plumbing in the way.

So I guess I need to determine the wiring diagram fro the Mini Spares part AN134. Then I can learn what to attach to what. Also, I have indicator lights with one single blue wire....nowhere do I see anything resembling that...

I'm having a time.
1978 mini1000, A+ 998 engine.

94touring

The shell is an 80s something, but that's really irrelevant. It's what all the parts going on that needs to match to the harness you have. 

DarkHelmet

Yeah I figured so. IF anythings different its just mounting points, etc. Not relevant as you said. So diagram appropriate and the things it attaches to wither proper for that harness or modified to properly fit.
1978 mini1000, A+ 998 engine.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Wiring diagram #16 in the Haynes manual (blue cover for 1969 to 2001) may be the one to look at.  It is listed as for 1984 and up carb'd models with the single instrument pack (center binnacle).

The AN134 loom may be for those cars "modified" to the center oval instead of the single speedometer/fuel gauge unit.  The rest of the loom should be the same?

The other diagram to consider is #10.

ADRay

Quote from: MPlayle on June 14, 2024, 03:51:10 PMThe AN134 loom may be for those cars "modified" to the center oval instead of the single speedometer/fuel gauge unit.  The rest of the loom should be the same?

I was thinking similarly. Previous owner of mine "modified it", and every single wire to the gauges was cut.

I've seen a harness that someone makes to remedy that.

Also, where is your car from? My car is an '82 from Germany, and there are strange things about it from the factory (I think) that leads me to believe that they were getting rid of older parts that were laying around. Ie: it had front drums, it has an A+ engine with a pre-verto clutch, etc.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MPlayle

My current Mini is a 1983 Panel Van out of the Netherlands.  It has been modified some as well: it had been upgraded to the center oval binnacle, front 7.5" disk brakes, side windows conversion.

The regular Minis standardized on front disk brakes about the 1984 transition, so yours having had front drums would have been correct for a 1982 Mini.

I had electrical issues with mine when it arrived - some of the rocker switches had been mis-wired.  My harness had all the correct ends, they had just been hooked up to the wrong switches.  If you have a particular item you want/need traced, I can try cross matching what my car has for that feature.