Dutchy's 1988 Rover Mini Project

Started by dutchy1978, November 17, 2010, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutchy1978

I suggested 35mm valves but I think he went a touch bigger. Not sure how much. Also not sure about the porting. The was no mention of the specs. I do know that he also ported my intake manifold as it looked like the air wouldn't flow very well cos of the sharp corners inside.
The LCB manifold was a "C-AEG374" from Mini Spares in the UK. This suits the injection so it has the hole for the lambda probe. Check out the last 2 photos of the engine on page 3 of my site. These show the lambda probe in the exhaust.

On another note, I had a week off work last week and just about got the beast finished. Interior is in, all the chrome on the front has been done. Just need to sand and polish the RH guard next Saturday then fit the RH headlamp to complete the project. There will be plenty of adjustments though after that I am sure.

Unfortunately I will have to leave the front wheel arches off till I get a wheel alignment done. No one can seem to do them with the arches on as there machines don't fit if the wheel is inside the arches.

below are a couple of photos of where it is at.
Check out page 8 of my site to see more detailed photos.
http://www.dutchysmini.com/page-8---the-engine-is-running.html

MiniGene

Whoa!  That looks sweet.  Your hard work is paying off.  Those seats look amazing!!! 4.gif

94touring

I agree those seats are really nice looking. 

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

dutchy1978

Thanks guys. The seats came up a treat. They look better in person too. Hopefully will get it all finished on Saturday so I can take it for a drive. Might even get some decent photos with my SLR for the website.

London Dry

Amazing! You're a true inspiration! 

BTW, thanks for the info on the part number for the LCB and valve sizes. I'll follow your plan. From what I read at Mini Spares you should be putting out somewhere around 80-85 bhp.
Dana Jones
95 SPI

dutchy1978

Quote from: London Dry on April 05, 2011, 12:07:49 PM
Amazing! You're a true inspiration! 

BTW, thanks for the info on the part number for the LCB and valve sizes. I'll follow your plan. From what I read at Mini Spares you should be putting out somewhere around 80-85 bhp.

No probs. let me know if you want anymore info. i'll do my best to help. otherwise use the website to assist wit other enquires.

dutchy1978

Hi all,

Finally got it finished last week. Took it out for it's first real drive and it ran
like a dream. The coil suspension is awesome.

Check out page 9 of the projects tab on my website or just click on the following link.

http://www.dutchysmini.com/page-9---the-finished-product-the-beast.html

Cheers
Steve.

danotje

Looks awesome, man! I've really enjoyed following your project. You've given me a lot of ideas as well as motivation to keep at it. I'm just starting to cut panels out and weld, but I look forward to being at your stage someday (I'd be happy with 10 months). Thanks for the inspiration and have fun on the road.

Cheers,
Dan

dutchy1978

Cool thanks. 10 months seems like a long time but in the end went quite quick. I don't know how everyone on here is so patient. I admire you all. Patience is one thing I don't have. If someone told me it will take me years then I wouldnt have done it. My reason for doing it was to have a mini that was built to my liking, rust free and ran well so I could get out and enjoy the end result. Take the kids out for the day etc...

dutchy1978

Today I changed my wheels from 13 x 6 sport pack wheels to 13 x 7 Superlite deep dish wheels. It really improved the look by adding some width and filling out the wheel arches.
I also added the pin stripes and mini cooper decal to the sides of the car. I think it finishes it off.

MEhinger

That is stunning. I has to be a lot of fun to drive and collect the stares and compliments.

London Dry

Hey Dutchy!! I've been stealing all your great ideas! I'll be posting on my resto link a ton of pix showing my piece-by-piece renovation in the next couple of days. Amazing what de-greaser and aluminum engine paint can do.
Dana Jones
95 SPI

dutchy1978

Good to see that it is working for you. I am sure you'll be wrapped with the finished job. New paint always make these things look amazing.

dutchy1978

I know it's been a while but I have been enjoying just driving the Mini around and soaking up the looks from other drivers. ha.
During this time I realized that the setup in the boot with the subwoofer was not the best solution. With two kids I really need whatever boot space I could get so a restructure was on the cards. I sold the current Kicker sub and amp and purchased a smaller 10" pioneer slim sub and Pioneer amp. While i was at it i replaced the head unit with Clarion which has Bluetooth, USB, 3.5m jack, CD A2DP for media streaming too. I also added two 4" Pioneer speakers to the front dash as the rear 6x9's were getting muffled under the rear seat. Over all it sounds much better, looks better and gives me maximum space in the boot for some bags. Will never get the golf clubs in. ha
Check it out below.

MiniGene

Hey, that looks really good.  Your mini has all the mod cons!  Very nice.

dutchy1978

Your not wrong. It has all the luxuries.  Great drive car on the weekends. No problems keeping up with the traffic but Definitely not built for speed.

dutchy1978

It been a while since I last posted......been enjoying driving my beast around. As we all know, when you drive you have too much time to think. Unfortunately thoughts of more power go through my head.

After plenty of driving and too many thoughts I have decided to work on the my next project for my mini. Supercharging!

I just purchased an M45 supercharger from a mini wreckers and have begun the research on customising it to suit my car.

Plans are:

M45 supercharger
Custom inlet manifold & piping
MGF throttle body
Ignition coil pack conversion (remove the distributor)
Wolf engine management system for injection, timing & ignition
New 2 core aluminium radiator
All MPI pulleys for a single multi V belt (water pump, harmonic balancer, alternator, A/C compressor and supercharger)

All feedback and ideas are welcome.
Below is an example set

94touring

Holy smokes!  Can't wait to see how that turns out. 

dutchy1978

Me either.

Did a base run on the dyno yesterday for a "before" snap shot.

Results:
37.9Kw (50.9Hp) at 4500 Rpm's at the wheels. Roughly 65-70 at the flywheel.

Happy with the result but as we all know, it can always be better.

Mudhen

Haven't had time to hit your site yet, but the pics here are stunning!

Can't wait to hear about the supercharger project.

Pat

dutchy1978

Plenty of research has been done but I only managed to start stripping her down tonight.
Pics below of what I have done so far.

Most of these parts aren't going back in. A/C included. I am yet to use the A/C in the 18 months the car has been back on the road. Plus I want the engine bay to have space. Looks too cluttered with it.

Some of the items that I have purchased so far:
Throttle body from a 2005 Kia Rio
A couple of pulleys / rollers
Eaton M45 Supercharger from an R53 Bini
2 core aluminium radiator
Coil pack

Started to modify the radiator bracket/fan shroud to fit onto he new radiator. Finished for the night. Will be back into it on Sunday.

94touring

dutchy1978

So the head is off now.
Stripped out all A/C components inside too. Dash is out and wiring is ready to be stripped out. I will be replacing the mini ecu with an Autronics ecu and wiring.

Plenty of parts out now. Feels like I am restoring it again.

A friend of mine is drawing all the required plates up on CAD so we can get them laser cut during the week. They will be cut out of 8mm thick stainless steel.
This weekend coming will be the exciting part. We'll be making the custom inlet manifold for the supercharger.

dutchy1978

Check out the following page on my website for the latest update.

Stripped the engine out to change the seal behind the clutch as it was leaking oil out of the bottom of the clutch housing. might as well change the clutch and machine the flywheel while i am at it.
Will start putting it back together soon

http://www.dutchysmini.com/supercharging.html