Question regarding full floor pan replacement

Started by azbornmini, September 18, 2010, 05:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azbornmini

I have a friend that has a MK3 Mini that needs to replace his entire floor section.  He is leaning toward going the two half floor replacement instead of the full floor due to shipping and whether or not he would be able to do the entire floor in one piece.  He is going to also replace his rear sub frame also.

First question:  Is it advisable to buy the floor pan sections with the outer sill attached?  Or better and easier to attach the outer sills afterward?
Second question:  How much does the Mini need to be taken down for this job?  He doesn't want the Mini laid up the entire winter as (here in AZ) it is the best time to drive.  It is running and driving right now.

Any comments or advice is appreciated.

Pat

94touring

I'd just go ahead and get it with the cills attached, if he needs them.  So all he needs to take out is carpet and seats really, do one side at a time and keep it  braced to keep things from distorting.

krazy

Quote from: 94touring on September 19, 2010, 09:42:23 AM
I'd just go ahead and get it with the cills attached, if he needs them.  So all he needs to take out is carpet and seats really, do one side at a time and keep it  braced to keep things from distorting.

What would be the best way to brace it? A bar across the cabin and one parallel to the door?

94touring

Well I just did half a floor and didn't even bother to brace it.  I had the tunnel in still and left the x-member in place initially.  Didn't have any problems at all.  Otherwise, check out mehingers van project, he had to cut out a lot more and did a lot more bracing. 

Nicholasupton

I am on the other end of the spectrum as I brace almost every panel adjacent to the one I am repairing. I am of the feeling that the extra time spent bracing is less time than fixing a tweaked body.

krazy

Thanks for the input guys. I plan to replace my front floor pans, and possibly the rear ones (ill have to assess the condition), so I just wanted the best method possible. I dont have access to a rotisserie, nor the room to store it, so it'll have to be done on my back  11.gif

94touring

Doing on your back is going to be a chore!   Start a thread and post up some pics if you get a chance.  If you need front and back pans the full length panel makes the most sense.

MEhinger

I 100% endorse 94Touring. Do the full length panels. Doing the front and back half panels leaves a dilemma about joining the two.

I again endoorse Dan. Dong half at a time should minimze the need for bracing