rebuilding my son's 1962 Mini

Started by MEhinger, July 21, 2010, 12:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

MEhinger

It's been a while since the last update. The car is pretty much done. here are a couple shots on the jack stands.

It went for the first ride last night. It was too dark when I got back to take some pictures but maybe tonight. There are a few little things to finish up. But the concern now is the clutch was slipping some. Not sure what is wrong. I don't think it is oil. So the engine might have to come out once more.

macmanron

MIke, That is looking great!!!! Spot On!!
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

MEhinger

94touring

What exactly is left?  Looks done to me. 

MEhinger

What's left? Is anything ever really done?

I've still got some rattles to chase down, some wiring things to sort out, and put in a few more interior pieces. I'll post a few more pictures. I swapped in a 3-pod binnicle and I need to get the dash lights and a few other things working properly. I can't yet seem to get the gas gage responding properly. It may take forever to get the water temperature gage to work, probably with a new sender. Then the dash cards, the rest of the carpet and a couple door cards. Oh, and I should send the heater face to Ron.

One thing I haven't done yet is to paint and install the seam covers. It is one of my quirks. I haven't put those things on a car in 40 years. Probably a phobia left from my days of using minis as daily drivers in the northeast through the winters. It is a rust thing. But I am trying to get over it with this car,

This has been a long road and my son is anxious for me to turn it back over to him. Then I have to pull my daughter's 61 Morris in for the same treatment. It has been with me since 1969 and has seen a lot of history. After I used it up in it's early days, I fixed it up and gave it to my sister who used it up again as her daily driver though high school and college. After she got married she sent it back for another refurbishment but never did use it again. When my daughter turned 16, she gave it to her to drive again through high school and college. She is now 33 and it is time for one more proper restoration. So it will soon be subject of another restoration thread.

batman1usa

WOW!  Good job on this one.   4.gif

Sounds asif the other one has had a terrific life.  Can't wait to see the finished pics.

danotje

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a while, but have managed to remain in lurker status up til now. Awesome job on this car! Although it seems like you could use some arches, I love the arch-free look, especially with 10s. I just ripped (literally) my arches off, and although I have some work to do first, I really like how clean and stout the car looks without them. Have you started the other car, yet? Can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck!

macmanron

YEs, Send that heater panel to me!!! And throw in a 3 clock mk1 binnacle to keep it company on the trip up here!!!  Anyone want to trade a Mk1 for a Mk2????
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

MEhinger

Donotje, I agree that it needs a little something to break up the color on the sides. I plan to add the black edge covers under the doors and wheel wells. I have a set of very early stainless cover trim but I am not sure i want to use those or if they would really add the right effect. Maybe a pin stripe ala late models under the windows but my son has top pass judgement on that idea. It is just me, but I have never really been in favor of the arches, especially on the MK1's with 10", although they do look good. But that said, I do have a Sportspack so I have to be careful how adament I am on the subject.

danotje

Maybe some mild group 2 arches or WPs. Those would cover the wheels without interfering with the lines. I bought some group 2s when I was in England, but now I'm going to get some narrower offset 10s and just use the trim for the bottom edge. There is just something tough looking about archless Minis. With your wider tires, your 62 really has a good stance. As for trim, I've always thought mine needed something down the side too--kind of like the Cooper Sport stripes--but I could never come to terms on what I wanted. I actually like the 1275GT stripes at the bottom of the door which would look good. The only problem is they aren't quite genuine for my car. In the end, it really doesn't matter as it is my car, but I never pulled the trigger either. Kind of like putting Cooper S badges on a regular Mini. Looks good unless you know what you're looking at.

MEhinger

On the "S" badge issue, I guess I feel the same way. Both the mini in this tread and my daughter's are essentially "S". Not real "S" engines although I have a few extra, but 1275 with 7.5" brakes and most of the trim. The both started out as 850s but I put Austin and Morris Cooper badges without the "S". I doubt they will ever be sold so I will not be fooling anyone.

macmanron

Mike, what did you paint your rear subby with?? I saw a pic of it on MM and I am getting ready to do mine.

MEhinger

Ron, I am pretty sure I used POR-15 direct after sandblasting it. I can't remember for sure if I put basecoat/clearcoat over it but probably. I know I used base/clear on the front subframe. I went a little crazy with that paint. I am not sure I will do it again on the next one.

macmanron

I thought about having them powder coated, but can't justify the costs!  I may just do the POR-15, it's not like I drive my cars everyday.

MEhinger

It has been a long time since I posted here. Well, the car is finished and has been delivered. It is running around Chattanooga and will be at MME,

I guess it is time to move on. I think it is finally time to get the floor back into my van and get it on its wheels. It needs its own thread.