Hand Mount Your 10" Tires

Started by Rosebud, May 14, 2021, 10:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosebud

I've had my tire guy mount maybe a dozen or so 10" Yokohama tires on 'Rosebud' over the years. Each time I remind him to "hand mount" them. I tell him that machine mounting the Yokos voids the warranty. Not true, but I thought that would add gravitas to my request. I remind him each time. Except this time.

He ruined them. They're bent, gouged and unusable. I love these rims. They were unblemished and perfect and they're no longer available. So, after threatening to toss the wheels through his front window, we arrived at a compromise. I took the 2 damaged wheels to a wheel restoration shop in town who claim they can restore them to "as new." They said it'll take 4 weeks and cost $2000.00. That includes polishing the unmolested other 2 wheels to match. Tire guy is picking up the tab in addition to providing me with a rental car for a month. Stay tuned...

UPDATE: Well, the bad new is the wheel restoration shop has informed me they cannot straighten my 10" wheels; too small for their straightening machine. They gave me a couple of referrals in the Los Angeles area—a 100 mile drive from home, but said even then they weren't hopeful I would be able to find anyone who could straighten them. I absolutely love my Image wheels and I'm heartbroken they're no longer available. So, I guess it's time to go wheel shopping. If anyone knows of any 10" Image wheels for sale (unlikely), or any other 3 piece 10" wheel (possible), please let me know. I'd even consider alloy center-lock wheels and hubs.
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

Willie_B

If have a set of 4 of these. CMW racing wheels. New, 3 have not even been assembled, none have valve stem holes. They were show wheels for the company that made them.

drmini

Rosebud, how bad are they? Can you post a photo of the damaged wheels?  There's a guy around here that straightens bent wheels, and perhaps he could handle the 10" wheels.

BruceK

I have seen these guys work miracles on the wheels of my wife's old Nissan.  They straightened and replaced missing chunks on the alloy wheels from an off-the-pavement excursion into sharp big rocks at highway speed that blew out 2 tires.  Came back looking like new. 

https://wheelsamerica.com/

Edit: they have several California locations and charge less than $200 per wheel to repair and refurbish no matter what the damage.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

What about Force racing wheels in the UK? They make 3 piece lightweight wheels. If all that's damaged are the rims maybe they can make new outer rims for yours if you send them a center?

http://www.force-racing.co.uk/wheels/force-racing-10-wheels/product/10-three-piece-modular-wheels/

Dan has a set on his car so he can vouch for their quality.

For that matter I'll bet there's a company in LA that can do the same......look for racing wheel mfrs.

As for hand mounting - I don't understand the issue your tire guy had with these. I've mounted a number of 10" wheels on modern tire machines with no issues at all. I even did a set of steel wheels for my ZTR lawn mower!

I've seen a LOT of wheels damaged by hand mounting too - it's just a matter of carelessness.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have force racing wheels like Dave said and love them.   Crazy lightweight too.

Rosebud

Quote from: drmini on May 15, 2021, 04:57:20 AM
Rosebud, how bad are they? Can you post a photo of the damaged wheels?  There's a guy around here that straightens bent wheels, and perhaps he could handle the 10" wheels.

They're pretty bad.
Rosebud

94touring

Damn.  I'd message force racing and ask if they can make something to where you can just swap in your center face.  I almost wonder if the bolt pattern matches mine.

MiniDave

I wouldn't be surprised to find a place in LA that can fix those....I've seen worse. But that's just rank carelessness on the part of the operator of the tire machine - I'd be plenty pissed too!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Did you contact WheelsAmerica in LA to see if they could do it?   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Rosebud

UPDATE: A member on another Mini forum sent me a link to an Image Wheels page [https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/rm1-minilite-alloy-wheel/. that shows that the 10" Image wheels are available. I searched that same website last week and it specifically said that the 10" RM1 Sandwich style rims were discontinued, they only came in 12" and larger. Now I see them and according to the website they are available in 10". And now I can't find where I saw that they were discontinued. What the heck? Anyway, My day just got better. My day will get a lot better when I see the box on my front porch.
Rosebud

MiniDave

Cool, did you buy 2 or 4? I think I would buy a full set, and keep the old ones in case you curb it or something.

Where are you going to have your tires mounted and balanced now? Cause I sure as hell wouldn't take them back to that guy!  50.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Rosebud

Quote from: MiniDave on May 16, 2021, 02:51:05 PM
Cool, did you buy 2 or 4? I think I would buy a full set, and keep the old ones in case you curb it or something.

Where are you going to have your tires mounted and balanced now? Cause I sure as hell wouldn't take them back to that guy!  50.gif

I'm going to get 4 new wheels and keep my 2 good ones for spares. I found a tire shop in town that's been in business for 70 years. A couple of their employees have been there for 40+ years and seem to know how to correctly hand-mount tires.

The shop specializes in trucks, heavy equipment, split rims, etc. I had heard that they are very knowledgeable, tire-wise. I took my bent wheels in to have the tires removed in preparation for straightening.My concern was they wouldn't necessarily be gentle. They handled my wheels gently and with respect. Plus, they only charged me 5 dollars per wheel. The shop that damaged my wheels charge $25 per wheel. I tipped the guy 20 bucks. I think I made a new friend.
Rosebud

94touring

I took my wheels all over town and couldn't find anyone willing to mount tires. Eventually I found a family owner business that has been around for 40+ years that was happy to do it. 

MiniDave

I've gotten lucky with my local tire guys too - not only are they a long time family owned local business, but they have a core of young guys working with the older experienced guys and they all seem to want to do a good job.

I'm also lucky that they have a young guy on the alignment rack who not only cares about the work he does, but loves seeing me come in with a Mini to break up the boredom of aligning pickups and minivans.

Rosebud, sounds like you found the perfect place to do your tires in the future.

I still think you can get those bent wheels fixed tho.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

I assume both of your places machine mount them? I need some new tires and the local tire guy I have used for ages said he thought he could do them but wanted to see them. I have never really had any "nice" wheels I have had to worry about done up there so I am not sure of his capabilities to that end, but he is a super precise details guy so I am sure he has the means to do it without tearing up the wheels.

Not too worried about my old steel wheels but I have a set of minilites I might toss some tires on to try out.