Removing Brake Master Cylinder

Started by carockwell, February 24, 2021, 11:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carockwell

Okay, I flunked the IQ test this time. How do you get the brake master cylinder clevis-cotter pin removed on a left hand drive car? There appears to be no way to access it without removing the entire heater box.

94touring

Long needle nose plyers.  I have a long pair that is straight and one with a angle at the end.  Both work good for pedal clevis pins. 

MiniDave

Are you taking about getting the clevis pin out, or the cotter out of the clevis?

Getting the cotter out - long needle nose pliers like Dan says.

I had a clevis that was rusted into the clutch rod, Once I got the retaining bolts off the master, I could pull it up far enough to get tools onto it and force it out.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

mascher

I always take out both seats and lie down at an angle across the car with significant cushioning. Sometimes it's not necessary but if the pin and clip are in bad shape it makes it a lot easier. It also makes it easier to get light in. As others have said long needle nose pliers, I like the kind with a slight bend.
Kelley

BruceK

I always wonder how they fitted the pins on the production line.  I'm guessing there was one guy who got really good at it.  Or... really, really hated his job. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I also wondered that about the headliners, especially the glued in ones!

It's not hard getting the clevis pin in if you have that tool I bought, but getting a cotter in and bent over is no fun.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

mascher

On the production line they put the interior in last.  ;D I think the shifter was put in after the carpet too.
Kelley

Quote from: BruceK on February 25, 2021, 05:17:59 PMI always wonder how they fitted the pins on the production line.  I'm guessing there was one guy who got really good at it.  Or... really, really hated his job.

MPlayle

I know from working on the white Moke, it is much easier when no doors are in the way as well.  Perhaps the factory installed the master cylinders and pedal box before the doors were mounted?

carockwell

We had to remove the seats and go in upside down on my back with my partner in crime handing me the parts and tools. It took a while but we got it. Wow, there has got to be a better way!

94touring

After you do it a handful of times it's a quick job believe it or not.  Much like the dreaded lower radiator hose. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on March 02, 2021, 08:06:25 AM
and speedo cable.... ::)

Almost said that one too!  I use the same long reach needle nose for that job. 

jeff10049

What's the consistent gripe with these all about? Every mini I have had it's less than 2 minutes to do that job. I get it if it is rusted as Dave said other than that?
I've yet to find anything on a mini that is hard to do maybe it's because I'm used to working on cars and minis are a relaxing fun thing compared to my normal day.

As said long pliers or cotter pin puller put some pressure on the pedal when bending the cotter to keep the pin from spinning. Bend it with anything that works .