Query re car not driving.

Started by amckenna, February 23, 2021, 04:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amckenna

Hi, I have recently restored a 1963 classic mini 850.
Motor and gearbox fully reconditioned and the motor runs fine but when I put it in gear, it does not want to drive. It feels like foot is on the brake while trying to accelerate. Any ideas as to what the problem could be???

Willie_B

When I got the moke I am rebuilding now it did the same thing. The brake and clutch pedal were seized to the pivot shaft. So when you pushed the clutch the brake pedal went down also. Not enough power to overcome that.

MiniDave

I think WillieB is onto something with his comment....does the car roll freely otherwise?

BTW, welcome to our forum! post up some pics of your car when you can, we'd love to see it!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LarryLebel

If it doesn't roll maybe the brakes are locked on. If so you could have the wrong push rod for the brake master cylinder that doesn't allow the hydraulic fluid to drain down.

amckenna

Thanks for the info. The car rolls freely when out of gear and also all wheels turn when jacked off the ground. I will check accelerator and break pedal but should be OK as the were removed from the car, cleaned and repainted.