VDO in a Mini

Started by bokbfok, January 18, 2021, 07:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bokbfok

Hi all,
It has been awhile since I have been here. The weather has finally cooled here in Tucson and I started working on the car again. Since I have had it, the speedo has not been working. Never really bugged me till recently. So I decided to get it going. What I discovered was that there is no speedo cable. Simple, easy fix! Yeah, that was not the case. The PO had installed all VDO gauges and it has taken quite some "working" time to figure out there is no cable that goes from the 3/4"-26(gearbox) to 5/8"-18(VDO gauge). Doing some looking, I found that the later model Mini's(MK3) had a clip on style cable and that there are adapters to convert the 5/8"-18 to a clip style. The thing that I can not figure out, or find pictures of, is the back end of the MK3 gauges that uses the clip style or any information on sizing of the clip style.
The adapters available are obviously for the big 3, Ford, Chevy and Dodge.
So my question is, does any one know if any of these adapters would work with one of the clip style cables? Like GSD415 or GSD487? If there is truly no solution, I will replace the gauges, but was hoping to cross that bridge later.
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

MPlayle

Are you sure an early style cable will not work?  I seem to recall that the ends of the cables for the earlier, large, center Smith speedometers had different sizes at each end.  The gearbox end was larger than the speedometer end.

I don't think I have an old spare cable to measure.

bokbfok

Quote from: MPlayle on January 18, 2021, 09:55:03 PM
Are you sure an early style cable will not work?  I seem to recall that the ends of the cables for the earlier, large, center Smith speedometers had different sizes at each end.  The gearbox end was larger than the speedometer end.

I don't think I have an old spare cable to measure.

From what i found when looking into this, the old speedo's had a M12 x 1 thread. The make adapters to go from M12 on the speedo to 5/8, but not the other way. Or I haven't found any yet
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2