Radiators - Free to a good home

Started by MiniDave, December 22, 2020, 02:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I have 3 old radiators, all three hold water and seem clean inside - water flows freely thru them and no nasty stuff comes out.

One is an early style, the other two are from 80's and 90's era cars....one from an SPi so the overflow tube points to the front instead of the back.

I hate to give them to the scrap metal guy if someone can use them, but I always replace them with chinesium aluminum rads cause they just work so well in our summer heat.

Let me know if anyone could use them, just pay shipping - I even have a box to ship one in that a new aluminum rad came in.

Hurry, won't last long!

These pics are of the oldest one....

Edit: apparently this is a rare beastie - these were only used on cars made till Nov 62, and the Coventry placque makes it valuable - still willing to pass it along to whomever needs it - just pay shipping. It could help someone who's trying to do an accurate restoration of an early car.

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The first two pics are for the 80's era 998 radiator, second two are for the SPi

I also have them on the various Mini parts traders pages on Facebook - so sing out if you want one.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

I wouldn't mind having the old one if nobody else needs it, it might work well when I put the original 850 back in my '60.

Don't think it would cool worth a darn otherwise.

MiniDave

It's yours, good chance it's from a 1960 car.....date code on the Coventry placque is 2760, I'm guessing 27th week of 1960. Perfect!

Want me to ship it or do you want to pick it up at some point, I'd be OK hanging onto it till the next time you're in town, or if you have someone coming your way....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Sounds good Dave, if you want to hang onto it for a bit I am sure I will be in town at some point. I was just at Micro center end of last week as my hard drive failed in my work computer and I needed one ASAP to get it going again. I would gladly give you some money as well if you want since it may actually be worth something.

MiniDave

Not necessary, but thanks....pay it forward if you can.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Quote from: cstudep on December 22, 2020, 04:34:24 PM
I wouldn't mind having the old one if nobody else needs it, it might work well when I put the original 850 back in my '60.

I have one like that in my 60 with 850. Brass has about half the thermo conductivity of aluminum but it seems to do well although it needs to burp when you fill it. It or engine will trap air and blow water out the overflow and you end up with radiator underfilled.
The few hot days I drove it this summer It never overheated.

jeff10049

Quote from: cstudep on December 22, 2020, 04:34:24 PM

I also have the original flat top in my 60 it cools fine even on 100 degree days 850 engine.

cstudep

Sweet! I guess it should work out ok then with the 850. I know I have heat problems with the 1275 and a newer standard radiator if it gets very hot but figured the 850 put out a lot less heat along with the lot less horses.