Heater hose routing

Started by Carl Owen, January 07, 2021, 01:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Owen

Trying to tidy up hoses and wiring inside the car. Do the heater hoses go below the heater box? I'm only asking because looks like they may fit above the box.  Our Mini is RHD.

MiniDave

They will fit over the top, but then they have to make two tight 90* bends to get down to the nipples on the heater core and the hoses always seem to get in the way of the pedals - at least for me..

When I converted my Innocenti back to LHD, I reversed the heater core to come out the other side so the hoses were an easy fit. In your case you would have to drill a couple of holes in the case for the core nipples to come thru, but it would really make it neater and easier for the hose connections.

What car is this? You don't usually see the heater valve inside the car on a Mini.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Carl Owen

Thanks MiniDave, I'll pull the heater box out and do that.

The car is a 1977 VTEC Clubman. I'm trying to figure out a place to squeeze the control valve in under the hood but may leave it tucked under inside. We also have to figure out a cable to operate it.

One thing I forgot to ask, is there an alternate source for the ducting to the defroster?

MiniDave

Other than the two hoses that go up to the defrost vents?

There's another alternative - there's an aftermarket heater assembly that works really well

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Cooling_heating/Heating/Heater_matrix/C-ARA3000.aspx?070102&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/heater.aspx|Back%20to%20search

Dan put one in his Mini and he likes it.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Carl Owen

Yes, I was talking about the 2 hoses (~1 1/4") going from the heater to the defrost vents.
I've been trying to find something locally to use to no avail.

MiniDave

Aha....I found some on a VW Beetle parts site.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

I like this VW stuff. Fits snugly enough that I did't use clamps. Slightly different than original with closer coils  but well made and excelent fit.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D819%2D723%2DAL

Carl Owen

BruceK

Oh. I like the look of that VW hose.  Nice ! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tsumini

Yes it's very well made and won't be mistaken for original. If one needs the original then a price must be paid for the original reproduction.

BruceK

For my needs I just need something that works and if it looks good that's great.

I wonder if there's some other fresh air hose from some other car that would work for the Minis with the eyeball dash vents?  I'm talking about the big hose that runs from behind the grill up and into the right wheel well up to the firewall.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I would think a 4" dryer hose would work fine especially the silver metallic ones that you can form better than the plastic ones that came originally, but they won't have the foam inner sleeve.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Quote from: BruceK on January 09, 2021, 09:08:40 PM
For my needs I just need something that works and if it looks good that's great.

I wonder if there's some other fresh air hose from some other car that would work for the Minis with the eyeball dash vents?  I'm talking about the big hose that runs from behind the grill up and into the right wheel well up to the firewall.
Search flexible duct and size (DIA)

jeff10049

For the small defrost hoses a new shop vac hose for the little shop vacs works most hardware stores have them. Although that VW hose looks better or more correct.

The bigger stuff the NAPA here stocks a few sizes so I'm sure other NAPA locations could order it if they don't have it.